Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 06:46 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times

Advertisements

Years ago, shortly after we were attacked allegedly because we have freedom and bikinis, we were assured by our leaders that a "suitcase nuke" could not be smuggled into L.A. and detonated because we had radiation detectors that would sniff it out faster than somebody could say, "Death to the infidels!" However, I haven't heard any reassurances in the past few days that we're currently protected to a reasonable degree from a nuclear bomb being smuggled into L.A. and detonated by Iranians -- has anybody? Seriously, this **** is getting kind of scary at this point...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 07:55 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
I'm not sure why anyone would think we're protected, quite honestly. If terrorists (domestic or foreign) want to blow something up, they'll find a way. 9/11 was called "a failure of imagination" for a reason, unfortunately. Sorry I can't be more cheerful, but I don't see any of this ending well - whether it's now or twenty years from now.

Old 01-07-2020, 09:11 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I'm not sure why anyone would think we're protected, quite honestly. If terrorists (domestic or foreign) want to blow something up, they'll find a way. 9/11 was called "a failure of imagination" for a reason, unfortunately. Sorry I can't be more cheerful, but I don't see any of this ending well - whether it's now or twenty years from now.
I would never believe we're totally and thoroughly protected, indeed, but I distinctly remember the repeated reassurances we received in late 2001 that a small nuclear weapon would be detected if present in L.A. However, I've heard no such thing over the past few days. And unlike 2001, we're dealing with Iran now, which has a little higher competency than various warbands of Tusken Raiders from here and there.

Old 01-07-2020, 10:24 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
I forget that LA has large Persian community. Perhaps Iran can make a deal to get a nuke from Pakistan, get the Mexican Cartels to bring it over for them.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:23 PM

4,508 posts, read 1,864,025 times
Some of the most vocal supporters of Islamic terrorism and Iran are in Hollywood. Who in their right mind is going to bomb an ally?!

LA is probably one of the safest places on earth right now.

Old 01-08-2020, 01:31 AM

2,512 posts, read 1,298,831 times
A nuclear bomb is such a vintage thing.

There are nuclear torpedoes now. A nuclear torpedo arrives close to a beach and detonates creating a mile tall tsunami. People in Victorville will be safe, those who are closer to the shore won't be safe.

Old 01-08-2020, 05:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Years ago, shortly after we were attacked allegedly because we have freedom and bikinis, we were assured by our leaders that a "suitcase nuke" could not be smuggled into L.A. and detonated because we had radiation detectors that would sniff it out faster than somebody could say, "Death to the infidels!" However, I haven't heard any reassurances in the past few days that we're currently protected to a reasonable degree from a nuclear bomb being smuggled into L.A. and detonated by Iranians -- has anybody? Seriously, this **** is getting kind of scary at this point...
I think anyone who really is honest and objective would have to share your concerns. This doesn't mean it will happen but we have to be aware of what could lie ahead. The damn jerks scare the hell out of me I don't care where you live, but yes, living in places like L.A. NY, cities with a lot of high tech and places that have a lot of people are more prone to attacks.

Old 01-08-2020, 05:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
A nuclear bomb is such a vintage thing.

There are nuclear torpedoes now. A nuclear torpedo arrives close to a beach and detonates creating a mile tall tsunami. People in Victorville will be safe, those who are closer to the shore won't be safe.
I don't see this as simply a nuclear attack but a attack on our country, not just L.A. is some way. I think OP just gave nuclear as an example.

Old 01-08-2020, 09:43 PM

44 posts, read 25,588 times
Iranians are so numerous in Los Angeles, some know it as Teherangeles. They would not attack Los Angeles. NYC is more likely.

Dangers to LA are more likely to come from Sunni actors or North Korea.

Old 01-09-2020, 10:55 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,987,805 times
Can you imagine being in Los Angeles during a SHTF situation?

What a nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles