U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-14-2020, 07:35 PM
 
Location: Coastal Northeast
17,421 posts, read 23,921,389 times
Reputation: 6188

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
So where's your suggestion?
Scroll up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-14-2020, 07:59 PM
DKM
 
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
3,522 posts, read 1,258,773 times
Reputation: 3205
I'd never live in the valley either. But I don't have to work in Glendale...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2020, 08:59 PM
 
618 posts, read 147,174 times
Reputation: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
I'd never live in the valley either. But I don't have to work in Glendale...
Calabasas and Hidden Hills is the valley. What's wrong with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2020, 09:22 PM
 
Location: Studio City, CA 91604
2,914 posts, read 3,222,950 times
Reputation: 5431
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
Calabasas and Hidden Hills is the valley. What's wrong with that?
The wife says "no" !

I wonder if her name is Karen, by chance???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2020, 10:14 PM
 
138 posts, read 77,125 times
Reputation: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gables Transplant View Post
I've recently accepted an offer to join a new firm based in Glendale. I currently work in Atlanta but live in Coral Gables, Florida (a centrally located suburb within Miami). For the past 7 years, I've "super commuted" between Atlanta and Miami.

My wife and I are both very excited about starting this next adventure. We've been to LA multiple times and have a family member and friends that live in Santa Monica.

I've read this forum for several years (when contemplating moves) and appreciate the wisdom and insights from its members. I need your help in pinpointing neighborhoods to consider. To help you with your suggestions, I've provided some background information below:

Family: My wife and I are both in our early 50s and live an active lifestyle (enjoy outdoors, eating out, arts, etc.).

Schools: Irrelevant as all kids are in college.

Workplace: I will be working in Glendale. My wife does not work.

Commute: I will be driving to Glendale daily but my role entails a considerable amount of travel. My tolerance for commuting to the office is between 30 to 40 minutes. I don't mind a little windshield time in the morning to gather my thoughts for the day, but 40 mins is my max. I don't need to live near an airport despite my travels. Note: I've tried using Google Maps to determine commute times from different neighborhoods to and from Glendale but it doesn't seem reliable. For example, I was trying to determine the western boundary of my commute and chose Westwood as a neighborhood. Google Maps says the commute is between 30 mins to 1:15 mins in the morning. I inputed 8:30 am as my arrival and it generated a departure time between 30 mins and 75 minutes. It's probably closer to 75 minutes, right?

Community: My wife and I are multicultural so we don't require a specific neighborhood or ethnicity. If any of you are familiar with Coral Gables in Miami (near the Biltmore Hotel), we would love a neighborhood with that sort of feel and environment. Beautiful canopied streets and minutes from vibrant city life. We love the vibe of Montana Avenue near Santa Monica and parts of Brentwood but these neighborhoods are likely too far for my commute.

Areas to Avoid: My wife doesn't like the Valley. It's not a deal breaker but she had cousins that lived in the Valley and eventually moved. She also doesn't want to live east of Glendale therefore South Pasadena, Pasadena, etc. are out.

Architecture: All types. But, we don't like recently planned neighborhoods.

Size: Minimum 3 bedrooms.

Home Budget: We will be renting initially to get a sense for a specific neighborhood(s) but we plan on buying a home within 12 months. I don't want to get into finances or budgets but for purposes of your recommendations, don't let cost deter you from your neighborhood recommendations.

House Hunting Trips: My employer is paying for a couple of house hunting trips so I want to explore different areas that meet our criteria.

Timing: I will initially be in some type of corporate housing and then my wife will join me in June.

Target Neighborhoods: Based on my research, I believe (not sure) that we should consider - Los Feliz, Silver Lake, Echo Park, West Hollywood, the Hollywood Hills, Griffith Park area, the Runyon Canyon area.

Questions to Consider: How far west could I live? What's it like to live in the Hollywood Hills? Is living on the other side of the Hollywood Hills (facing north) considered the Valley? In determining commute times, it seems it could take just as long from say West Hollywood to Glendale as it does from Westwood (near UCLA) to Glendale. From West Hollywood I would need to take surface streets and from Westwood I could take expressways (albeit jammed with traffic). Both neighborhoods take just as long despite being considerably far from each other. Is that accurate?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations and input. I truly enjoy reading this forum and look forward to hearing your thoughts on the City of Angels.
You're going from sweating your ballz off as you walk out of your house, to looking like a dried up lizard. Welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2020, 12:42 AM
 
3,002 posts, read 4,369,812 times
Reputation: 2395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gables Transplant View Post
I've recently accepted an offer to join a new firm based in Glendale. I currently work in Atlanta but live in Coral Gables, Florida (a centrally located suburb within Miami). For the past 7 years, I've "super commuted" between Atlanta and Miami.

My wife and I are both very excited about starting this next adventure. We've been to LA multiple times and have a family member and friends that live in Santa Monica.

I've read this forum for several years (when contemplating moves) and appreciate the wisdom and insights from its members. I need your help in pinpointing neighborhoods to consider. To help you with your suggestions, I've provided some background information below:

Family: My wife and I are both in our early 50s and live an active lifestyle (enjoy outdoors, eating out, arts, etc.).

Schools: Irrelevant as all kids are in college.

Workplace: I will be working in Glendale. My wife does not work.

Commute: I will be driving to Glendale daily but my role entails a considerable amount of travel. My tolerance for commuting to the office is between 30 to 40 minutes. I don't mind a little windshield time in the morning to gather my thoughts for the day, but 40 mins is my max. I don't need to live near an airport despite my travels. Note: I've tried using Google Maps to determine commute times from different neighborhoods to and from Glendale but it doesn't seem reliable. For example, I was trying to determine the western boundary of my commute and chose Westwood as a neighborhood. Google Maps says the commute is between 30 mins to 1:15 mins in the morning. I inputed 8:30 am as my arrival and it generated a departure time between 30 mins and 75 minutes. It's probably closer to 75 minutes, right?

Community: My wife and I are multicultural so we don't require a specific neighborhood or ethnicity. If any of you are familiar with Coral Gables in Miami (near the Biltmore Hotel), we would love a neighborhood with that sort of feel and environment. Beautiful canopied streets and minutes from vibrant city life. We love the vibe of Montana Avenue near Santa Monica and parts of Brentwood but these neighborhoods are likely too far for my commute.

Areas to Avoid: My wife doesn't like the Valley. It's not a deal breaker but she had cousins that lived in the Valley and eventually moved. She also doesn't want to live east of Glendale therefore South Pasadena, Pasadena, etc. are out.

Architecture: All types. But, we don't like recently planned neighborhoods.

Size: Minimum 3 bedrooms.

Home Budget: We will be renting initially to get a sense for a specific neighborhood(s) but we plan on buying a home within 12 months. I don't want to get into finances or budgets but for purposes of your recommendations, don't let cost deter you from your neighborhood recommendations.

House Hunting Trips: My employer is paying for a couple of house hunting trips so I want to explore different areas that meet our criteria.

Timing: I will initially be in some type of corporate housing and then my wife will join me in June.

Target Neighborhoods: Based on my research, I believe (not sure) that we should consider - Los Feliz, Silver Lake, Echo Park, West Hollywood, the Hollywood Hills, Griffith Park area, the Runyon Canyon area.

Questions to Consider: How far west could I live? What's it like to live in the Hollywood Hills? Is living on the other side of the Hollywood Hills (facing north) considered the Valley? In determining commute times, it seems it could take just as long from say West Hollywood to Glendale as it does from Westwood (near UCLA) to Glendale. From West Hollywood I would need to take surface streets and from Westwood I could take expressways (albeit jammed with traffic). Both neighborhoods take just as long despite being considerably far from each other. Is that accurate?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations and input. I truly enjoy reading this forum and look forward to hearing your thoughts on the City of Angels.

I'm from LA but, went to the University of Miami. In my opinion, anything that resembles Coral Gables would be in Orange County/Newport Beach/Irvine/San Clemente. Maybe some parts of Santa Monica, like you said.



On the freeway, you could drive from Pasadena/Glendale to West LA/Westwood/SM in around 30-45 minutes. Surface streets will take longer than freeways.



I used to work in Hollywood Hills and have friends there. So I've spent some time there. It is great! There is reason houses are so expensive and Hollywood A listers choose to live there. It's a great, fun, happening area, and if you can afford it, move there.



The Wilshire corridor is another good option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2020, 12:44 AM
 
300 posts, read 196,461 times
Reputation: 586
Wow you guys are a bunch of a-holes. The OP is asking about neighborhoods and more than half the posts are about personal attacks to the wife. You don't know anything about their personal situation to make that judgement, and it's the wrong place to do it anyway.

Also guess what, there are people who don't like the valley, don't get offended so easily. I would never live there even if I worked IN the valley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2020, 02:55 AM
 
1,374 posts, read 991,991 times
Reputation: 2180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
You got some really good advice so far. I especially liked post #14 from MrIndependent.

I suggest you have a discussion with your wife about what EXACTLY it is that she didnt like from the valley. The valley is HUGE and each of the cities are very different. Maybe her family lived in Panorama City, or Pacoima, or Sun Valley parts of the valley. Those are definite no-go zones for me. But I love Toluca Lake, Studio City, Sherman Oaks, Encino, Calabasas and even parts of West Hills. All of these are in the "valley" and are PRIME locations that are highly desirable.


As others have said, you want to try to live as close to work as possible. That being said, I suggest you look into the following areas:

1. Glendale
2. Burbank
3. Toluca Lake
4. Studio City
5. Sherman Oaks
6. Los Feliz (can get kinda iffy in some areas though)


Stay-away areas that are close by:

Atwater Village
Sun Valley
East / NE Hollywood
My ranking would be:
1. Glendale
2. Atwater Village (not sure why you would avoid Atwater)
3. Los Feliz (I’m curious what parts are “iffy”)
4. Burbank
5. Silver Lake
6. Toluca Lake
7. La Crecenta/Montrose
8. Studio City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2020, 08:12 AM
 
Location: The 203
710 posts, read 150,340 times
Reputation: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gables Transplant View Post
Seems like neighborhoods can't be recommended without a budget. Okay. Let's use $2.0M for a home.
Studio City hillside, to the right of Laurel Canyon (going northbound). Superb.
Take 134 to work, leave early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2020, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Atlanta/Coral Gables, FL
11 posts, read 2,027 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
I've lived in Santa Monica for over 30 years, and walked down Montana Ave 1,000s of times. So, as someone who's very familiar with SM, I'd say that Pasadena has a very similar vibe.

Don't know why your wife wrote off Pasadena. It's very nice. If I couldn't afford SM, I might want to live in Pasadena.
To answer your question, on two different occasions, we've stayed in Pasadena for one-week periods (used it as a base to attend collegiate baseball games) and its nice but we found the downtown area somewhat limiting. The architectural landscape and streets are scenic and lovely but we want to be closer to the LA basin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top