Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 07:41 PM

7 posts, read 5,327 times

Advertisements

I've heard a lot about San Pedro recently. It has all of the ingredients to be the next highland park. (huge art and music scene, affordable rent, "authenticity" etc...) I've also seen that they are redevoloping their waterfront. So I took a 25 min drive down there from DTLA and was blown away at how nice it was. I mean tons of beautiful parks, 2 beaches, minutes to Palos Verdes. I was shocked at how relatively inexpensive the property was. I did notice some early 90's venice vibes in terms of crime but all in all seems like a solid investment. Anyone else thinking about jumping in and buying property in San Pedro?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2020, 08:25 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,928,486 times
Just follow the studios & tech companies. It worked for Culver City, Venice, Manhattan Beach, Santa Monica, etc.

Old 02-06-2020, 02:19 AM

823 posts, read 1,055,848 times
My son sails out of San Pedro at times. Parts of it are really lovely, but the 110 is probably a sizable limiting factor. It’s close to Long Beach, but it’s a brutal commute to most other places. Plus you are right on top of the Port, the biggest source of air pollution in the region, although luckily the offshore westerly is predominant.

A friend of a friend bought a fourplex there about 2 years ago. There’s been a solid increase in value, she’s happy with the investment, but finds the travel time a drag when she has to go to deal with stuff.

I would be looking instead to the western parts of Inglewood. It’s right next to both Playa Vista and Culver City, so good for tech types looking for short commutes. Good access to the 405. The lot sizes are usually decent, with good potential for ADUs. Prices are not that different from San Pedro. Good proximity to the new stadium and Olympic facilities. I would pay close attention to flight paths, use the LAWA real-time map, it includes altitude and sound readings.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:31 AM

585 posts, read 634,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Doheny View Post
I've heard a lot about San Pedro recently. It has all of the ingredients to be the next highland park. (huge art and music scene, affordable rent, "authenticity" etc...) I've also seen that they are redevoloping their waterfront. So I took a 25 min drive down there from DTLA and was blown away at how nice it was. I mean tons of beautiful parks, 2 beaches, minutes to Palos Verdes. I was shocked at how relatively inexpensive the property was. I did notice some early 90's venice vibes in terms of crime but all in all seems like a solid investment. Anyone else thinking about jumping in and buying property in San Pedro?
You know why San Pedro doesn't just float off into the ocean? Because Wilmington sucks. Old joke, been around a long time. Pedro is a long way from trend and employment centers. Most likely next candidate to gentrification is the Ascot Hills / Hillside Village area of Los Angeles. Between downtown and South Pasadena.

Old 02-06-2020, 04:41 PM

908 posts, read 1,303,399 times
Not happening. As noted, it's too far from major job centers and where emerging industries are such as Silicon Beach. I feel like it will have a hard time shedding its working-class port town feel.

It's relatively geographically isolated and as the home of the Port of LA and a major cruise terminal as well as refineries that is next to other marginal areas such as Wilmington, Harbor City, and Lomita, it's just not going to be attractive for most young people and gentrify or transform in the way that Silver Lake / Echo Park / Highland Park / Venice have.

The areas that have really gentrified with an influx of young people and major price appreciation have typically been in core LA fairly close to downtown LA or on the west side close to higher-paying jobs and where there is generally more walkability and solid public transportation.

While it's probably arguably already under gentrification, I'd say the next area that will have a gentrification boom would be West Adams.

Old 02-06-2020, 05:11 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,057,058 times
predicting "gentrification" is truly speculation. Only time will tell which area takes off. I have worked for real estate investors who were desperately trying to "prime the pump".

I remember when Highland Park was "not cool", now in cost-per-sq-ft its unthinkably expensive. People pay $2200 mo / $26400 yr for a 1 bd 1ba 480sq ft rental? reeeeeaaaaly? My 24x24 2 car garage is 576 sq ft.

I did successfully invest in North Park San Diego, and it was a long timeline, but it definitely paid off. And I had NO IDEA it was going to pay off. A neighborhood can have "all the features" on paper (or even none), but the people still got to get some crazy idea in their head "THIS is the cool part of town, and I want to live HERE. It makes so much sense."

Old 02-06-2020, 08:40 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,945,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
You know why San Pedro doesn't just float off into the ocean? Because Wilmington sucks. Old joke, been around a long time. Pedro is a long way from trend and employment centers. Most likely next candidate to gentrification is the Ascot Hills / Hillside Village area of Los Angeles. Between downtown and South Pasadena.
Agreed, El Sereno and City Terrace.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:23 PM

335 posts, read 356,521 times
Inglewood, Baldwin Hills, Jefferson Park, West Adams, Windsor Hills, View Park, Hyde Park, Crenshaw.

Around the LAX rail line.

Old 02-07-2020, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Doheny View Post

Chad seems to be a keen observer. Some of the naysayers in this thread might need to update their research/biases in terms of San Pedro.

I bought a series of properties in 2014 to 2016 when it looked like movement on the waterfront was finally happening. Well I can say that I've seen already seen ~30% increase in value across all of them with no signs of slowing. And the waterfront isn't even built yet. The San Pedro downtown is starting to come to life. New music venues and restaurants are opening every day.

As for employment. Silicon beach creeps farther south everyday now starting to encompass El Segundo, Manhattan, and Redondo beach. There are also renewed talks from SpaceX to locate a substantial facility in San Pedro.

All the residential real estate there has priced out the locals and they are looking to San Pedro now for those needs.

And to put it in perspective - Silverlake, Echo Park, and Venice were all considered unsalvagable mere years before their eventual booms.

[mod]don't post links when you're new[/mod]

Last edited by Count David; 02-07-2020 at 03:24 PM..

Old 02-07-2020, 04:31 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,021,860 times
Wow, 2 "new" members plugging San Pedro!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles