Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 09:24 AM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times

Advertisements

How’s it going? Me and my Wife are thinking about visiting LA in May for our anniversary. This will be both our first time in the city and I’m curious about a couple of things if we decide to visit.

1. We don’t want to rent a car, how reliable and safe is the subway to get us to all the tourist sights.
2. We’ll be renting an Airbnb, what’s the best location to stay in the city to get the most out of our visit.
3. Any recommendations for good local eats.
4. What’s the best beaches for us to hit up in LA?
5. Most romantic things to do?
6. Nightlife options that don’t include going to a club.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 02:13 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
The subway system which has various lines (Red, Blue, Gold, etc) are safe and reliable, like anywhere you exercise caution.

You can purchase a Tap Card and add money to it to make it the easiest.

I would suggest the Hollywood are as a central location to stay, there are some sights you won't see without a car, perhaps you can take a bus.

There is Malibu, Zuma and than up in Ventura County there are very nice beaches, but that would most likely require a car.

Old 02-18-2020, 03:03 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
How’s it going?
Not bad, today. How are you?

Old 02-18-2020, 05:11 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
We’ll be renting an Airbnb
In what part of L.A. will you be staying? Los Angeles is huge.

Old 02-18-2020, 05:38 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,139,432 times
LA got subway? Interesting as i never been on it. Sure you can use subway but you still need to get to it and from it. My advice is to use uber/lyft as that will be much quicker to get around LA compare to subway.

Old 02-18-2020, 09:41 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,075 times
Quote:
How’s it going? Me and my Wife are thinking about visiting LA in May for our anniversary. This will be both our first time in the city and I’m curious about a couple of things if we decide to visit.

1. We don’t want to rent a car, how reliable and safe is the subway to get us to all the tourist sights.
**ALL** the sights? That's a tall order, especially if you have limited time. In general though, the subway/light rail is what I would call "OK." Not great, not bad. Red Line does get you to some of the stereotypical touristy sights"

Quote:
2. We’ll be renting an Airbnb, what’s the best location to stay in the city to get the most out of our visit.
Really no great answer to this, except the one member who said Hollywood is a pretty good suggestion. That said Hollywood is a crap hole.

Quote:
3. Any recommendations for good local eats.
Way too broad a request. "Local" is undefinable without a specific neighborhood in mind.

Quote:
4. What’s the best beaches for us to hit up in LA?
Swim? Walk? Watch? I like Zuma in Malibu.

Quote:
5. Most romantic things to do?
6. Nightlife options that don’t include going to a club.
Griffith Observatory. Magic Castle.

Old 02-18-2020, 11:33 PM

2,501 posts, read 1,292,691 times
5. Romantic things.
Take the Expo Line to Santa Monica, rent a couple of bicycles and hit the bike lane near the beach.

Take the shuttle from the subway stop Sunset/Vermont to Griffith Observatory and hit the trail that goes to the Hollywood Sign.
Griffith Observatory - Getting Here

Take the Gold Line to Pasadena and visit The Huntington Library with its rose gardens and Oriental gardens.
https://www.huntington.org/

6. Nightlife options
Concerts, shows...
https://www.hollywoodbowl.com/events...wl&Season=null

Last edited by vincenze; 02-18-2020 at 11:46 PM..

Old 02-19-2020, 08:30 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,688,884 times
Airbnb's...I've stayed in Silver Lake, Hollywood Hills, & West Hollywood. Really depends on how much you want to spend & the features you need.

Beaches. Santa Monica will be tourist heavy but worth checking out. It's also close to Venice Beach so you could take a quick Uber to Venice (or even walk approx 1 mile).

There are other beaches that are nice to see but not as busy as Santa Monica. Manhattan, Hermosha, Redondo.

Pro's & Con's of renting/not renting a car. How long will be you staying? If it's only for a few days I'd say you can enjoy a lot without a rental car. But if you're staying for 4-5+ days you might want to consider a rental car because you could drive up/down the PCH which offers some great views. Ride up through the Canyon/mountain around the PCH. Drive South towards Laguna Beach. Granted you might not be interested in that stuff but they are really enjoyable to do.

Keep in mind LA is huge. When you look at a map you might see 10 miles in distance & assume that's about 20 minutes but in LA that's probably an hour + commute.

If you can find out where you want to stay I think we can all help you more. I'm actually going soon & will be staying not far from the airport. Because of that I know I'll be a pretty good distance from West Hollywood/Hollywood Blvd where as if I stayed in Silver Lake/West Hollywood (off Sunset) I know I'd be about an hour from the beaches.

The thing about a rental car too is keep in mind if you Uber a lot you'll be spending hundreds of $'s depending on the length of your trip. Sooner or later it because more costly to Uber sometimes. I know you mentioned Subway but I think you might find that you'll rather be Ubering than Subway.

Old 02-19-2020, 11:41 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
5. Romantic things.
Take the Expo Line to Santa Monica, rent a couple of bicycles and hit the bike lane near the beach.
Like Jack Tripper. I loved that show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0vzEQs-4uo

Old 02-19-2020, 01:59 PM

2,501 posts, read 1,292,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Pro's & Con's of renting/not renting a car. How long will be you staying? If it's only for a few days I'd say you can enjoy a lot without a rental car. But if you're staying for 4-5+ days you might want to consider a rental car because you could drive up/down the PCH which offers some great views. Ride up through the Canyon/mountain around the PCH. Drive South towards Laguna Beach. Granted you might not be interested in that stuff but they are really enjoyable to do.
You can buy an Amtrak ticket from LA Union Station to Santa Barbara and enjoy magnificent ocean views as the train runs right near the beach.

Amtrak's Coast Starlight costs only $40 for a round trip.
It departs at 10am and returns at 6pm.

Buses in Santa Barbara are free with an Amtrak ticket.
Though, the beach is right near the train stop. And touristy Downtown too.

You can travel the opposite way.
Metrolink and Amtrak trains go to Orange Country.
They stop in San Clemente with its beautiful beaches.
There is a free trolley to go up and explore the eateries in the city.

---
Also, the Metro's route 460 goes from Downtown LA to Disneyland.
Disneyland is good for adults too.
https://www.metro.net/riding/schedules/460-13131/

Last edited by vincenze; 02-19-2020 at 02:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles