Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 12:07 PM

7 posts, read 22,772 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'll get right to the point. LA is the first place I've lived in my 35 years where low or poor credit is such a factor in receiving proper housing. Other places I've lived, namely Denver and Atlanta, I could still receive decent housing in my credit situation. Understandibly credit should be a qualifying factor, but should it be the only factor? There are so many people here waiting in line for the same little piece of living space that you are going after, there's often no negotiation. So here's the question, does everyone living in a decent neighborhood (working class to middle class) have A+ stellar credit in LA? And if not, how does anyone qualify for housing in this city that is not above a liquor store, near a train track or infested with bullet holes? Seriously though, I've always had very nice apartment homes where-ever I've lived, this is the first time I've ever had to risk downscaling simple comforts on this level. (Mind you I guess I consider grass and quiet comforts). Help, please give feedback.

(BTW, my credit is bad mainly due to medical bills, so hopefully you can see my dilemna.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 01:07 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardToStayHardToGo View Post
Understandibly credit should be a qualifying factor, but should it be the only factor?
You are in luck.

If you have a really high income and lots of collateral, credit probably doesn't count too much.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:11 PM

Hmmm, I have neither. My assumption would be that if the income were there, more options would be as well, that's true in everything. Still my question remains.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:56 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,150 times
most places allow tenants with poor credit to rent if they can provide a guarantor.

failing that, tell your prospective landlord about your credit situation before they run the report (and never call you back), and stress that you have no evictions or skip-outs (assuming that's true). offer to provide reference letters from previous landlords attesting to your desirability as a tenant. it isn't impossible, but you don't expect to get a unit at the palazzo or some other high end complex.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:11 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
My advice to you would be to look for private property owners who do not screen as thoroughly as property management companies and large buildings would. Try 1-4 unit properties. Make sure that you are 100% honest on your application (good, bad and otherwise) And when you set appts to view an apt, be ready to act fast by having a cashiers check already for a deposit.

I have rented to tenants with poor credit (here's the key....poor credit issues that were in the past) If it seems as if the person is trying to repair their credit or it was medical related I don't look at it in the same way as someone who has very recent negative credit entries.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:17 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
If your only credit issues are slow-no pays and you have no evictions, you should be able to find a place, it's just going to take longer than normal. Being on your job a long time helps as well as having a low income to rent ratio. (You make at least three times your rent). Going to a private party rather than a property rental company will be better. Your best shot at them are: craigslist: los angeles classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events, Free Los Angeles and Orange County Classifieds - Recycler and Apartment Rentals in Los Angeles, Orange County and San Diego ($60 for the list). katenik is right about telling the landlord in advance, most will tell you up front if you have a shot. And having a co-signer with good credit will help. Good Luck.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:35 PM

CeSpeed, calipoppy and Katenik, thank you guys so much! Great advice, especially on renting from private owners and have immediate money to put down. You guys are fantabulous!

Old 04-25-2008, 03:05 PM

485 posts, read 1,703,941 times
Hmmm, this has been SUCH a problem for my husband and I lately. We don't have any evictions or bankruptcies, and we make a decent living ($75,000/yr) but we are STUCK here in Van Nuys due to credit issues. My husband has some medical and school loans on his credit and apartment complexes in better places like Calabasas and Woodland Hills just refused to see past them - they literally told us to "rent in Van Nuys!" We had no problem getting in there, but the area isn't the best and we can't get out. We offered a higher deposit and they wouldn't accept that. They said that we might have qualified with a co-signer, but I don't want to get anyone else involved.

Lucky for us, we like Florida more than California and will be headed to the Orlando area at the end of summer.

Best of luck to you! If you have a hard time, try some of the complexes in Van Nuys near the Sherman Oaks border - you might have some luck with them.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:36 PM

56 posts, read 314,219 times
This was my issue to when coming to Los Angeles. I moved from Europe and with NO credit history found it nearly impossible to find a place to live. I spend over a month in an expensive extended stay hotel (yup I definitely had the means to afford that but nobody looked at the money I had on hand, just the credit history I did NOT have) before I finally found an expensive studio in West Hollywood where they wanted to take me with 2 months deposit plus the first months rent. And only because I had a very very decent job offer.
So I guess you do not have to live in the "slums" with poor credit. You just have to find that one landlord that is willing to take you in. BUt it's not easy.

Friends of mine that moved to the East Coast Southern States all had nice and affordabe apartments withing days of arriving in the US.

I have since then moved to Florida BTW. It's funny I do miss L.A but I'm not sure if I could ever live there again.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:00 AM

22 posts, read 60,299 times
Why don't you just contact some loan officers and a realtor. they are the only people qualified to help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles