Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 01:17 PM

242 posts, read 174,332 times

Advertisements

Enjoy the South man, LA & NY are places that most people will experience at least once in they lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2020, 07:46 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,395,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ima30something View Post
Nashville
Ok, best of luck to you.

Tennessee is nice....my mom's sister moved from LA to Chattanooga in the 70's. She lived there until she passed away about 10 years ago.

Old 03-19-2020, 12:41 AM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
...I met my wife, got married in Venice and had our first child at Cedars Sinai...
Some places are simply more conducive to the raising of a family. Others, less so. Moving back to LA, one of the charms is that it's actually OK to be middle-aged and unmarried and without children.

Quote:
....While I’m not moving back to my Midwest town, I am heading to a smaller city where the air is cleaner, people know their neighbors and drivers let you merge into their lane without honking. ...
As goes without saying, here's wishing all of the best in your new locale! But in most parts of the world, merging into the adjacent lane is met with honking, or at least passive-aggressive rage. Nowhere are the drivers good, the pedestrians self-aware, the traffic smoothly flowing or the highway-markings easy to understand.

I lived for 20 years in the rural Midwest. Most of my neighbors I never even met, despite nearly 20 seasons of being snowed-in, nearly 20 seasons of strong winds, nearly 20 seasons of power outages, nearly 20 seasons of... whatever. Isolation and even anomie are the modern reality, whether in a world-class city or a quaint village.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:12 PM

850 posts, read 796,545 times
Post sounds familiar, I was in CA temporarily and its a hard place to live, but I miss it more than I thought.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:47 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
I had always wanted to live in LA. After graduating college in 2006, I made it my goal to move to LA but I wouldn’t let myself go without a job lined up. It took 4 years of planning but I eventually moved to LA in 2010. Once I got to LA I absolutely loved it. Coming from the Midwest, I obviously enjoyed the weather and palm trees, but there was more to LA that I enjoyed. I loved the fact that I lived in a destination city; a place that people all around the world wanted/needed to visit. I loved the fact that I could meet so many unique people with interesting backgrounds and doing cool things. I loved seeing a commercial or movie and knowing exactly where the location was. I loved LA.

After the first few years, I had a solid group of friends and a great job... I nearly tripled my income from 2010 to 2016 with the opportunities LA brought me. As the years went on though, my good friends eventually all moved away to other cities. I met my wife, got married in Venice and had our first child at Cedars Sinai. We had a family, bought a home for way too much money in a “up and coming” part of town. I had a commute of 45-minutes to go 8-miles. Our state income taxes skyrocketed because of my promotions. All of a sudden, LA stopped being a party and more of a chore on my everyday life.

Then, fire season happened last year. We drove on the 405 as fires where just a few feet from our car. I looked at my wife we decided to make a change.

To be honest, LA always felt temporary. I was fortune enough to buy and sell a few condos and a home while I was there, and it still didn’t feel permanent. I feel like my dreams of heading out to the west coast to “make something of myself” are now coming to an end. While I’m not moving back to my Midwest town, I am heading to a smaller city where the air is cleaner, people know their neighbors and drivers let you merge into their lane without honking. I guess I’m excited (I really am) but I’m also sad to leave the warm weather, mountains and amazing opportunities that LA has given me throughout the past 10 years.

Today was my last day as a Californian. Thank you LA for the amazing experience over the past 10 years.
You sir, are a class act.

You may leave CA, but CA never leaves you.

Best of luck to you and your family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
When I saw this thread, I knew you'd be drawn to it -- the way a fly is drawn to....well, you know!

This story is repeated thousands of time, everywhere. Because thousands of people move everywhere, all of the time.

You're going to be in for the shock of your life when you've settled in Phoenix and realize its not the "Shangri-La with saguaros" you think it is. And more shocked when you hear that thousands of people don't like it there, either, and wish to move.
LOL... I needed a laugh( I think we all do).

Great comments!

Old 03-22-2020, 09:56 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You sir, are a class act.

You may leave CA, but CA never leaves you.

Best of luck to you and your family.

LOL... I needed a laugh( I think we all do).

Great comments!
Why is what she said funny? For some reason she’s obsessed with me and doesn’t want me to move. It’s pretty stalkerish actually. And I’m not moving to Phoenix

Old 03-22-2020, 10:39 AM

216 posts, read 128,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Why is what she said funny? For some reason she’s obsessed with me and doesn’t want me to move. It’s pretty stalkerish actually. And I’m not moving to Phoenix
Actually we all wish you would just move already instead of whining for years about where you live.

That's the one of the main difference between successful people and unsuccessful people. Some people take charge of their life while others just think life happens to them.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:04 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC4life View Post
Actually we all wish you would just move already instead of whining for years about where you live.

That's the one of the main difference between successful people and unsuccessful people. Some people take charge of their life while others just think life happens to them.
Who are you some person that got kicked out for rudeness and came back on another screen name? You’ve only been a member for 3 1/2 months I’m not going to miss people like you at all when I move in May

Last edited by Finper; 03-22-2020 at 11:52 AM..

Old 03-22-2020, 11:22 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Nashville
Unlike others, I congratulate on your move and wish you & your family nothing but the best.

I know something on what I speak. I lived in Huntsville just 90 miles south of you for 10 years. I can appreciate a lower cost of living, far less traffic, and a lot more friendly folks. In many ways, we could've retired there. I was looking forward to the day I pay off my 15 year mortgage. But family is what draws us back to California, and great diversity of food (we love to eat).

LA is not for everyone, especially someone like you who're starting out with a young family. You will get a better quality of life in Nashville. Besides, when you do miss LA you can make an annual pilgrimage back for a visit

Good luck to you

Old 03-22-2020, 05:59 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,546,640 times
Quote:

Not "obsessed" with you, sweety. What's with you Trumpettes always thinking everyone is "obsessed" with you? It's weird. It's like you still think we're in high school and you want to pretend to be the pretty cheerleader who thinks everyone wants her.

I just actually wish you would move and quit making the rest of us miserable with your incessant whining and "I hate CA" posts. Although, moving probably won't stop you from coming back here to talk crap, the way the other cretins do.

Quote:
Who are you some person that got kicked out for rudeness and came back on another screen name? You’ve only been a member for 3 1/2 months I’m not going to miss people like you at all when I move in May

We won't miss you either.

Door -- meet ass!

Now, hurry along with the U-haul rental, sweety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles