Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 05:28 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,139,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Hollywood also has a lot.

Besides the obvious reason(s), walkability is a problem. They easily can walk to shops while technically abiding by city and government orders. We need authorities who don't care about political correctness and will as much as possible confine people in WeHo and probably Hollywood in their homes as much as possible and bring supplies to them instead and do door-to-door pre-screening for coronavirus. Also, a health warning needs to be issued for people who don't live there to stay out unless absolutely necessary.
The reasonwwhy many people are complying is because it's not being enforced. You try to actually enforce it and you will see different public reaction. I drove today to both Santa Monica and Hollywood and plenty of people were out. Also if this gets pushed too hard lawsuits will start flying in terms of legality of this order
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2020, 06:02 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
Nobody is calling for arrests. In that part of town, ordering more businesses to close and shutting down roads would help. Anyone trying to sue over those two tactics would have almost no chance of winning. Edit: shut metro transportation through that red zone, too (although it's probably very light now). And, you, don't drive there anymore. The virus has the potential to kill a few million Americans within a year - that should be the end of the argument.

Old 03-22-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Nobody is calling for arrests. In that part of town, ordering more businesses to close and shutting down roads would help. Anyone trying to sue over those two tactics would have almost no chance of winning. Edit: shut metro transportation through that red zone, too (although it's probably very light now). And, you, don't drive there anymore. The virus has the potential to kill a few million Americans within a year - that should be the end of the argument.

Many of my friends are lawyers and many of them disagree that it would survive legal challenge. State of emergency doesn't in anyway, shape or form suspend the constitution. Yes it give governor power to shutdown business etc as result of health department. However being US constitution is not suspended, the governor still must follow it. His order violates freedom to gather clause of 1st amendment. There is just no way around that. Unless President Trump declares US Marshall law, this order likely is unconstitutional and not enforceable. Which is why I said, if they start pushing it hard, it will get challenged in court. Even California governor declare martial law in California, us constitution would still have to be followed.

edit:I should add that shutting business is all good but governor specifically demanding people stay at home as much as possible which is not enforceable.

Last edited by looker009; 03-22-2020 at 06:35 PM..

Old 03-22-2020, 06:18 PM

By the way, Brentwood is up to 18. It's a sleepy area, though; I don't know that much can be done to better control it. Maybe many of them have been working in WeHo-Hollywood-Melrose part of town.

Old 03-22-2020, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Many of my friends are lawyers and many of them disagree that it would survive legal challenge. State of emergency doesn't in anyway, shape or form suspend the constitution. Yes it give governor power to shutdown business etc as result of health department. However being US constitution is not suspended, the governor still must follow it. His order violates freedom to gather clause of 1st amendment. There is just no way around that. Unless President Trump declares US Marshall law, this order likely is unconstitutional and not enforceable. Which is why I said, if they start pushing it hard, it will get challenged in court. Even California governor declare martial law in California, us constitution would still have to be followed.
Where did the government or I indicate any desire to violate the Constitution? The suggestions I just made are realistic, and also the Runyon Canyon parking lot could be closed and business district (metered) parking could be forbidden, as Santa Monica just did with beach parking. Be honest - you don't personally feel like quarantining?

Old 03-22-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Where did the government or I indicate any desire to violate the Constitution? The suggestions I just made are realistic, and also the Runyon Canyon parking lot could be closed and business district (metered) parking could be forbidden, as Santa Monica just did with beach parking. Be honest - you don't personally feel like quarantining?

Shelter in place order as being used is order to stay home except for permitted activity. That order if taken on face value is violation of constitution. No i do not like the order, i feel it's illegal and i am ignoring it. I have gotten together with over 20 people today and we had order delivery. Yes beach parking can be banned. Street parking can only banned if proper signage is posted otherwise not everyone know about it. In fact unless i mistaken parking in all city in California been relaxed so not sure how banning on street meter would even be enforced when city told residence they can park there without worrying about getting at ticket/and or towed.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:06 PM

Yes, that's a problem, given the earlier statement about metered parking not being enforced.

The bigger problem is attitude. 20-people gathering People will die from needless gatherings. There are the Internet and Skype - quarantine does not feel like solitary confinement. Stop rationalizing about constitutionality - don't start claiming the virus isn't a big deal - and be safe to yourself and others.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Yes, that's a problem, given the earlier statement about metered parking not being enforced.

The bigger problem is attitude. 20-people gathering People will die from needless gatherings. There are the Internet and Skype - quarantine does not feel like solitary confinement. Stop rationalizing about constitutionality - don't start claiming the virus isn't a big deal - and be safe to yourself and others.
I can't not make rationalize about the constitution being that is what this country was founded on and its bases of our democracy.

Regarding 20 people, it's our risk to take and it should be up to us to make that decision and not anyone else.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:40 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post

edit:I should add that shutting business is all good but governor specifically demanding people stay at home as much as possible which is not enforceable.
Yes, yes, your lawyer friends keep saying there’s going to be lawsuits. You’ve said this over and over, but no lawsuits so far. Curious how you’re so hell bent on people going out.

This isn’t the only state doing this. If it was unconstitutional the ACLU would be screaming. In fact, the ACLU is monitoring the order to make sure it’s enforced equitably.

“The shelter-in-place orders that have been issued for the entire state of California are clearly an enormous and almost unprecedented curtailment of our individual civil liberties. Nonetheless, these measures have overwhelming support from local and national public health experts in support of our collective well-being”

So it appears your friends don’t know what they’re talking about.

https://www.aclunc.org/article/aclu-...ovid-19-crisis

Old 03-22-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Yes, yes, your lawyer friends keep saying there’s going to be lawsuits. You’ve said this over and over, but no lawsuits so far. Curious how you’re so hell bent on people going out.

This isn’t the only state doing this. If it was unconstitutional the ACLU would be screaming. In fact, the ACLU is monitoring the order to make sure it’s enforced equitably.

“The shelter-in-place orders that have been issued for the entire state of California are clearly an enormous and almost unprecedented curtailment of our individual civil liberties. Nonetheless, these measures have overwhelming support from local and national public health experts in support of our collective well-being”

So it appears your friends don’t know what they’re talking about.

https://www.aclunc.org/article/aclu-...ovid-19-crisis

While there haven't been lawsuit in California over this yet that i am aware of, there been lawsuit in another state over the closure of restaurants. Also shelter in place is not being enforced. It's one of those do as I say order without teeth in it. ACLU is a joke and is not going to sue as they are pro Democrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles