Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2020, 06:34 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
The virus overwhelmingly affects certain smaller proportions of the population. People over 80, people over 70 to a lesser extent, and health compromised individuals. It’s seems to have almost no affect on heathy individuals under 50 years old
Ask this 30-year old how she feels about your statement. I'm sure there are plenty more like her; we just don't hear as much about them.

I think I was careful; I know I was careful. But until that blessed 14-day mark since I’d last seen people passed, I played every prequarantine interaction over in my head a thousand times, as if each was the line-of-contagion scene from a horror movie. Who had I endangered ? Who would they endanger? And how far could that terrible line extend?

And as for me and the virus? It’s day 17, and I’m getting better, though I still have a low fever and bad cough. I’m well enough to try to write again, but I’m used to being in the business of answers. And those still seem a very long way off.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ction-symptoms
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2020, 07:29 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,301,369 times
I think it is way too soon to be praising or criticizing most people in this, Newsom and Trump included. At present I think you can say Newsom did a better job than Cuomo and that is likely to never change, but we have to judge the overall, long term impact on the state to make a fair judgment of Newsom's actions. That can only happen in hindsight. A year from now if CA has an unemployment rate of 15% and we lost 30% of our small businesses, then second guessing may be in order.

As to "acceptable" deaths, we make that judgment every day. For example, we know that if we lowered the speed limit in CA, even on freeways, to 35 MPH we'd save 3,000 lives or more every year, but we've judged as a society that the higher speed limits bring benefits and the added risk to life is worth it.

Old 04-12-2020, 08:11 AM

21,737 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmen View Post
It’s been my honor to have spoken with the self appointed CD spokesperson for all of California, future governor Tulemutt.
Thank you so much ... and it’s been MY honor to recognize your gift of vision and wisdom benefiting the people of my great state!

Old 04-12-2020, 09:04 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Just a few degrees warmer days (coming soon) and it’s me and the dog hiking barefoot on the forest trails ... pretty near alone. Can’t beat it with a stick.
I think the 30 people who got laid off from my company feel otherwise. A little tone deaf, 'think?

Old 04-12-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
I think the 30 people who got laid off from my company feel otherwise. A little tone deaf, 'think?
No. Not tone deaf at all. The 30 laid off from your company are free to express their reality. I am free to share mine. I’m in my 70’s, retired from military and self-employed blue collar careers. Served through war, raising family, and working labor over 50 years. Suffered a lot of damages all along the way including a number of near fatal events with long hospitalizations and deaths of brothers in arms and loved ones who passed too young. Managed my health and finances well in spite of all. Nope. I’m good.

Old 04-12-2020, 10:06 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
No. Not tone deaf at all. The 30 laid off from your company are free to express their reality. I am free to share mine. I’m in my 70’s, retired from military and self-employed blue collar careers. Served through war, raising family, and working labor over 50 years. Suffered a lot of damages all along the way including a number of near fatal events with long hospitalizations and deaths of brothers in arms and loved ones who passed too young. Managed my health and finances well in spite of all. Nope. I’m good.
Yep. I gots mine!

Old 04-12-2020, 10:50 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
Yep. I gots mine!
It is tragic that people are losing their jobs. However, being upset because someone is happy they can get out for a while seems a bit odd. No one is celebrating the fact that your coworkers lost their jobs, but people have their own lives to live.

It’s like getting upset at someone because their loved one got the virus and survived while yours did not.

Old 04-12-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Yep. I gots mine!
Correction: I earned mine.

I didn’t ask for the sympathies of your 30 co-workers when I was pulling bodies out of the jungles of SE Asia ... nor when I buried the mother of my 3 children and raised them as a single parent ... nor did I ask for their support in running my business for 35 years after retiring from the military ... etc many times over.

So, do they get my acknowledgement and sympathy they are laid off for a while? Mmm yeah. A bit. And I am happy that they will undoubtably receive many types of assistance getting through a short-term economic hiccup ... such as stimulus checks from government, unemployment, rent / mortgage postponements, student loan postponement, tax deferrals .... and dozens more offered by creditors, insurance companies, government, charitable organizations ....

I’ve seen and lived worse. I’m enjoying my solitude and hikes I earned.

You have a nice day. Less is more. It’s very possible to enjoy life at minimalist levels.

Old 04-12-2020, 02:37 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Ask this 30-year old how she feels about your statement. I'm sure there are plenty more like her; we just don't hear as much about them.

I think I was careful; I know I was careful. But until that blessed 14-day mark since I’d last seen people passed, I played every prequarantine interaction over in my head a thousand times, as if each was the line-of-contagion scene from a horror movie. Who had I endangered ? Who would they endanger? And how far could that terrible line extend?

And as for me and the virus? It’s day 17, and I’m getting better, though I still have a low fever and bad cough. I’m well enough to try to write again, but I’m used to being in the business of answers. And those still seem a very long way off.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ction-symptoms
Why point out the lone exception? Yes maybe a few more. How does that change what I posted? The corona virus doesn’t really affect non heath compromised younger individuals. Your example doesn’t disprove my statement.

Old 04-12-2020, 02:39 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
We all know about the shape of a Bell curve. He said:
Correct. New cases by day has been largely flat. I don’t understand why you keep arguing this. Number of deaths each day has also been flat for the past 10 days or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles