U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 05:56 AM

75,828 posts, read 88,700,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Article credits Newsom for "strong action [that] appears to be bending the curve." Even Trump gave him a little compliment.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...ovid-19-159945
I certainly would say, "even Trump" both he and Trump have been working together and both have said the other is doing a good job. They have been saying this for about a month now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2020, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Totally disagree. I voted for Newsom only because I couldn't stand Cox, but I think he's doing an amazingly good job with all of this. He should be commended for his efforts.
Have to agree with you. Though I do not like him, I don't like a lot of what he has done, I would not want to live in CA again, especially under his leadership, but he is a winner on this one. We all need to give credit where credit is do.

Old 04-03-2020, 06:13 AM

6,468 posts, read 15,941,205 times
I'm grateful to live in California, because under Newsom's leadership I truly believe we're flattening the curve. The evidence is mounting that leaders need to call for shutdowns early; if they wait too long, flattening the curve looks more like slightly bending it. No one wants to be the next Italy or the next New York. I also appreciate Newsom's approach by calling on everyone to work together in a spirit of cooperation instead of competition whenever possible.

Old 04-03-2020, 06:17 AM

1,461 posts, read 518,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Article credits Newsom for "strong action [that] appears to be bending the curve." Even Trump gave him a little compliment.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...ovid-19-159945
Like the New York Times, the Washington Post, and many other very liberal publications, Politico is also very liberal and only gives high marks to Democrats, so consider the source.

Old 04-03-2020, 06:25 AM

4,884 posts, read 2,428,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
Like the New York Times, the Washington Post, and many other very liberal publications, Politico is also very liberal and only gives high marks to Democrats, so consider the source.
Except the first governor they praise (Ohio) is a Republican. In times like these I wish we could get away from partisanship, but that’s probably asking too much.

Old 04-03-2020, 07:08 AM

18,428 posts, read 16,956,018 times
Quote:
Nothing like being divisive. Newsom has made efforts to stay away from that.

"This is not the time to bicker. I don't care who's up and down, whose polls are looking better than someone else's or who wants to run for president or who doesn't. When it comes to times of crisis, we need to [rise] above the partisanship and I've extended always an open hand, not a closed fist, in those circumstances. And this is no different," Newsom told CNN anchor Jake Tapper.

"But let me just be candid with you. I’d be lying to you to say that he (Trump) hasn’t been responsive to our needs. He has," the governor continued. "And so, as a question, as a sort of an offer of objectivity, I have to acknowledge that publicly."

Newsom continued: "And the fact is every time I've called the president, he's quickly gotten on the line. [...] Those are the facts."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/gav...ive-california

Old 04-03-2020, 08:36 AM

7,358 posts, read 2,734,494 times
Quote:

No, I think Politico tries to be neutral. I've seen them run pieces that were critical of Democrats.

Old 04-03-2020, 09:43 AM

1,758 posts, read 1,066,798 times
I like the early and decisive response with a plan. High marks for initial response.

I don't like the wait-and-hope the curve flattens, and then stay the course for a vaccine if it doesn't. I hope he has a realistic backup plan that does not including staying shut down for 18+ months.

I predict CA will be one of the last states to face the writing on the wall and reopen to let the virus have it's way with us and develop herd immunity, which is probably the only actual solution.

At that point, the high opinion of the governor will have diminished.

If I am wrong, and the current strategy works, or a sound backup plan exists and is implemented in a timely manner, I will happily eat my hat and sing his praises from the rooftops.

Old 04-03-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I'm grateful to live in California, because under Newsom's leadership I truly believe we're flattening the curve. The evidence is mounting that leaders need to call for shutdowns early; if they wait too long, flattening the curve looks more like slightly bending it. No one wants to be the next Italy or the next New York. I also appreciate Newsom's approach by calling on everyone to work together in a spirit of cooperation instead of competition whenever possible.
I am happy the curve is flattening but it is in other states as well. The predictions for new cases in AR, for instance from last week, ended up to come in lower than the experts thought it would. Hopefully all states will be able to report similar result in the next few weeks.

Old 04-03-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
yep: that is true and add to that say, even Boston Globe. We all need to take the media with a grain of salt. by media I mean MSM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles