Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2020, 11:54 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,301,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Few state lawmakers used their platform to offer an alternative plan, as the administration faces the challenge of cutting a staggering $54.3 billion from the state budget that pays for services for nearly 40 million people.
They could start with a one year hiatus on PERS contributions and then look at permanent reductions in contributions.

The state of CA contributes a whopping 59% of compensation for the CHP.

This is what is fundamentally wrong with public employee unions. They shovel millions to candidates campaign and then get billions back in pay and pension. I can't think of another situation where the employees get to help choose the people deciding their compensation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 01:35 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
They could start with a one year hiatus on PERS contributions and then look at permanent reductions in contributions.

The state of CA contributes a whopping 59% of compensation for the CHP.

This is what is fundamentally wrong with public employee unions. They shovel millions to candidates campaign and then get billions back in pay and pension. I can't think of another situation where the employees get to help choose the people deciding their compensation.
Huh. Can you think of a situation where corporate giants get to help choose the people deciding their tax breaks and regulation? You know, like through massive political donations and billions and billions of lobbying dollars, and Super-PAC support. Those sort of things?

Old 05-27-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Huh. Can you think of a situation where corporate giants get to help choose the people deciding their tax breaks and regulation? You know, like through massive political donations and billions and billions of lobbying dollars, and Super-PAC support. Those sort of things?
Not even close. There is no direct relationship between constituents and representatives and both sides of the political spectrum contribute to further their goals. Only in the public employee union and legislature is there a direct relationship

Old 05-27-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Not even close. There is no direct relationship between constituents and representatives and both sides of the political spectrum contribute to further their goals. Only in the public employee union and legislature is there a direct relationship
Lmfao. BS. Money makes sh*t happen.

Old 05-27-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Lmfao. BS. Money makes sh*t happen.
If that were true, Hillary would be president.

Old 05-27-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
If that were true, Hillary would be president.
Different function, Enchanter. Different mechanisms than what you were lamenting.

Old 06-02-2020, 06:23 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
"....as news was breaking about the National Guard being deployed to L.A., Gov. Gavin Newsom tweeted: “The racial inequities that exist in our society are evident all around us. Just look at #COVID19. Communities of color are overwhelmingly impacted. We must continue to work toward a more just, equitable future.”

On Monday, Newsom, visibly shaken and humbled after the tumultuous weekend, said black people have lost patience because we have heard promise after promise for decades, but haven’t seen progress. And he’s right.

“We prune,” Newsom admitted. “We don’t tear out the institutional racism.”

His words aren’t even close to enough, I know. We need action. As Newsom acknowledged, government institutions have a responsibility to prove that “we’re capable of being more as a society.” And in the weeks and months ahead, as I travel the state to tell people’s stories, I plan to hold him and other elected officials accountable to that very thing.

For it isn’t enough to meet this moment, as Newsom is so fond of saying. We have to do something with this moment — this pandemic, this revolt, this presidential election — so we don’t return to a normal that, while aspirational, left so many Californians behind.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...s-gavin-newsom

Old 06-02-2020, 07:00 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
"....as news was breaking about the National Guard being deployed to L.A., Gov. Gavin Newsom tweeted: “The racial inequities that exist in our society are evident all around us. Just look at #COVID19. Communities of color are overwhelmingly impacted. We must continue to work toward a more just, equitable future.”

On Monday, Newsom, visibly shaken and humbled after the tumultuous weekend, said black people have lost patience because we have heard promise after promise for decades, but haven’t seen progress. And he’s right.

“We prune,” Newsom admitted. “We don’t tear out the institutional racism.”

His words aren’t even close to enough, I know. We need action. As Newsom acknowledged, government institutions have a responsibility to prove that “we’re capable of being more as a society.” And in the weeks and months ahead, as I travel the state to tell people’s stories, I plan to hold him and other elected officials accountable to that very thing.

For it isn’t enough to meet this moment, as Newsom is so fond of saying. We have to do something with this moment — this pandemic, this revolt, this presidential election — so we don’t return to a normal that, while aspirational, left so many Californians behind.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...s-gavin-newsom
Figures that he’d take the virus and turn it into a racist event.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:55 PM

Uh... maybe it's just me, but I understand that Newsom is the governor of this state. What did he do to lower the death rate in communities of color? What he done to get better health care into those communities?

Is he serious that things haven't changed for decades? Things have been getting better and much better for decades.

Even since Freddy Gray and Michael Brown things have gotten better, although I'd separate those two. I think Michael was a good shoot and this "hands up, don't shoot" thing is pure fiction; both a grand jury and the Eric Holder DOJ substantiated the police officer's story.

But since those two incidents a lot of police procedures have changed, a lot of police departments now mandate body cams, every time an officer discharges a weapon there is an investigation; departments have done more community outreach, but change is a two way street

Old 06-02-2020, 09:48 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Uh... maybe it's just me, but I understand that Newsom is the governor of this state. What did he do to lower the death rate in communities of color? What he done to get better health care into those communities?
Is he serious that things haven't changed for decades? Things have been getting better and much better for decades.
Even since Freddy Gray and Michael Brown things have gotten better, although I'd separate those two. I think Michael was a good shoot and this "hands up, don't shoot" thing is pure fiction; both a grand jury and the Eric Holder DOJ substantiated the police officer's story.
But since those two incidents a lot of police procedures have changed, a lot of police departments now mandate body cams, every time an officer discharges a weapon there is an investigation; departments have done more community outreach, but change is a two way street
Newsom has been Governor for a little more than a year. I'm not sure how much you think a governor can do to fix all of these issues, especially in that length of time. He had plans to provide large subsidies to peoples ACA plans but now with the downturn in the economy I doubt if there will be money to do that.
And he's not a king, many issues require legislation, other problems would require the cooperation of elected officials like County Sheriff's who run their little fiefdom like they own it. Scott Jones, Sac Sheriff keeps racking up lawsuits because he refuses to do something about his deputies shooting unarmed people and when he was ordered by the court to improve inhumane conditions in the jail he refused so now taxpayers have to pay a settlement of 100 million dollars. Because of all the lawsuits residents of Sac county end up with no streetlights, no sidewalks and potholes that require you to get your wheels aligned every two months. I don't think Newsom can fix stuff like that, but I sure wish someone could.

Last edited by 2sleepy; 06-02-2020 at 10:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles