Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 01:37 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,536,063 times

Advertisements

Here in San Diego the state of emergency was declared on Valentines day by County and City leaders, this is from March 10 it sounded like he said the state of emergency had just started that day in that city. Wow!

I'm not "blaming" the President for this, my time line just goes like this.

January- He's politicizes Corona Virus as the next big Democrat scare.
February- He stops politicizing it, but continues to downplay it as just the "flu".
March-He finally takes it seriously but continues with inconsistent message to the American people.

I don't think Donald Trump is a dumb man, he knew the seriousness of it. He was just trying to downplay it as long as he could so that the economy (the biggest part of his 2020 campaign) wouldn't tank. Love him or hate him, as the leader of our country his words have a big influence on local government and citizen's actions and how serious we take things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2020, 01:40 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Here in San Diego the state of emergency was declared on Valentines day by County and City leaders, this is from March 10 it sounded like he said the state of emergency had just started that day in that city. Wow!

February- He stops politicizing it, but continues to downplay it as just the flu.
March-He finally takes it seriously but continues with inconsistent message to the American people.

I don't think Donald Trump is a dumb man, he knew the seriousness of it. He was just trying to downplay it as long as he could so that the economy (the biggest part of his 2020 campaign) wouldn't tank.
Lotta eye-rolling going on here from most readers, guaranteed

Old 04-05-2020, 01:43 PM

1,156 posts, read 987,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
It wouldn’t have happened if we hadn’t overpopulated the planet and become dependent on being completely interlinked ...

Did ebola start in Chinese wet markets?
How about cholera?
Bubonic plague?
Typhoid fever?
Measles?
AIDS?

... speaking of the blame game ...
Not going to deny that, but many of those other ones you mention are bacterial or are not spread as easily as Corona. Bubonic is spread by flea bites, Corona is apparently spread by bats. So the question is if I get bit by a flea carrying it and bit by a bat carrying it, ok, what am I going to do? It’s apparent this originated from a Chinese market, not transmitted by a bat bite or flea bite, nor bodily fluids such as Ebola or HIV. Measles appears to be the most similar to Corona as far as contagious spread. This whole thing is unfortunate that had those markets not existed maybe this wouldn’t have happened. I’ll await until the experts can figure out the exact source, but until then the major blame should be on having those markets. If the US would have been the only ones in this position, then fine, I’m sure I’d place blame on the current administration like everyone seems to be. However, most at one point have downplayed this all along the way, including Dr Fauci on Jan 21.

One thing I hope all can agree on now is to have their kids vaccinated with all the diseases, and I hope I don’t have to see the fools at street and neighborhood fairs that are trying to gather petitions for not having to vaccinate kids. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Old 04-05-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:

February- He stops politicizing it, but continues to downplay it as just the "flu".

I don't think Donald Trump is a dumb man, he knew the seriousness of it. He was just trying to downplay it as long as he could so that the economy (the biggest part of his 2020 campaign) wouldn't tank. Love him or hate him, as the leader of our country his words have a big influence on our actions and how serious we take things.
I know it didn’t seem like you were blaming him. There are things he should have done, and I agree with your assessment on why he downplayed it. That was unfortunate, but his focus was maybe too much on the economy. You’re correct, people aren’t smart enough to make their own choices and listen to whatever word comes out of his or the media’s mouths. That’s just the way it is. Should he say he won’t wear a mask when so many will listen to that and not do it? I don’t know, it is funny to see these reporters push him on why he won’t wear a mask. That’s said, let’s hope Ca continues it’s practices and listens to Newsome.

On another note, for you old folks, just heard Tom Dempsey, the original holder of the field goal record of 63 yards has died of complications of Corona. Although, he was battling Alzheimer’s.

Old 04-05-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
Not going to deny that, but many of those other ones you mention are bacterial or are not spread as easily as Corona. Bubonic is spread by flea bites, Corona is apparently spread by bats. So the question is if I get bit by a flea carrying it and bit by a bat carrying it, ok, what am I going to do? It’s apparent this originated from a Chinese market, not transmitted by a bat bite or flea bite, nor bodily fluids such as Ebola or HIV. Measles appears to be the most similar to Corona as far as contagious spread. This whole thing is unfortunate that had those markets not existed maybe this wouldn’t have happened. I’ll await until the experts can figure out the exact source, but until then the major blame should be on having those markets. If the US would have been the only ones in this position, then fine, I’m sure I’d place blame on the current administration like everyone seems to be. However, most at one point have downplayed this all along the way, including Dr Fauci on Jan 21.

One thing I hope all can agree on now is to have their kids vaccinated with all the diseases, and I hope I don’t have to see the fools at street and neighborhood fairs that are trying to gather petitions for not having to vaccinate kids. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
They were/are all plagues / pandemics. Transmitted by human to human contact and other means. Africa, Europe, Asia as ground zero.

Old 04-05-2020, 01:53 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,536,063 times
Quote:
Lotta eye-rolling going on here from most readers, guaranteed
Well, he does have the CDC and all of HHSA at his disposal, I am sure he was well aware of the seriousness....but yeah, lots of eye rolling for sure.

Old 04-05-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Well, he does have the CDC and all of HHSA at his disposal, I am sure he was well aware of the seriousness....but yeah, lots of eye rolling for sure.
An intelligent man would have had an inkling at least ... and wouldn’t have gambled the whole thing would blow over.

Old 04-05-2020, 02:30 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
Measles appears to be the most similar to Corona as far as contagious spread.
Measles is far more contagious than the coronavirus. (And for those of us too old to have benefited from the MMR vaccine, when we had measles as young children, nearly everyone in our entire classroom had either just had it or was about to come down with it.)

Measles ranks among the most infectious diseases. One infected person can pass it on to between 12 and 40 others if they haven’t been vaccinated, according to the CDC.

For the new coronavirus, by contrast, the World Health Organization estimates that every infected person spreads it to 2 to 2.5 others, on average, at least according to data collected early in the outbreak.

That’s still worse than the seasonal flu. Depending on the influenza strain, every infected person passes the virus to 1.2 to 2 others.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-sou...nal-report.pdf

Old 04-05-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Measles is far more contagious than the coronavirus. (And for those of us too old to have benefited from the MMR vaccine, when we had measles as young children, nearly everyone in our entire classroom had either just had it or was about to come down with it.)

Measles ranks among the most infectious diseases. One infected person can pass it on to between 12 and 40 others if they haven’t been vaccinated, according to the CDC.

For the new coronavirus, by contrast, the World Health Organization estimates that every infected person spreads it to 2 to 2.5 others, on average, at least according to data collected early in the outbreak.

That’s still worse than the seasonal flu. Depending on the influenza strain, every infected person passes the virus to 1.2 to 2 others.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-sou...nal-report.pdf
I'd agree, but this seems it could be close and new things are coming out daily. I just made it by a couple years in the 60's to have been vaccinated. I remember it being a huge thing to get done before Kindergarten.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/16/...t-mean-doomed/

I mean who would have thought this could happen at the beach and in the ocean?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavir...140029412.html

Old 04-05-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
An intelligent man would have had an inkling at least ... and wouldn’t have gambled the whole thing would blow over.
Well, he did gamble quite heavily on Atlantic City back in the day.... so probably best to not have a gambling man as President.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles