Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2020, 08:46 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You made a good point but I don't think there will be a lot of time spent on philosophizing about it. Last year Newsom suggested increasing renters tax credits and expanding child care subsidies as ways to address inequality and something like that might be necessary to keep the smallest of small businesses from permanently folding since they are the most dependent upon low wage workers
I hope you’re right. As you said, there are many solid business leaders and an ex-fed chair on the task force. I would hope that they would not let the whole plan go down some rabbit trail.

I also have to believe Newsom knows that the longer this goes on, the more tax revenue they lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 07:05 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
“I just want to encourage people that when you practice your free speech — which I don’t [just] embrace, I celebrate — just do so safely. This virus knows no political ideology. It doesn’t know if you are Republican or Democrat, supporting the president, opposing the president, so practice physical distancing.

“Make sure that you are not infecting others. Even if you feel healthy and have no symptoms, you can spread this.”

The governor said he will not be swayed by public protests in deciding when to reopen the state."

Newsom tells protesters of stay-at-home order he will be swayed by science, not politics:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...e-not-politics

Old 04-19-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
“I just want to encourage people that when you practice your free speech — which I don’t [just] embrace, I celebrate — just do so safely. This virus knows no political ideology. It doesn’t know if you are Republican or Democrat, supporting the president, opposing the president, so practice physical distancing.

“Make sure that you are not infecting others. Even if you feel healthy and have no symptoms, you can spread this.”

The governor said he will not be swayed by public protests in deciding when to reopen the state."

Newsom tells protesters of stay-at-home order he will be swayed by science, not politics:
So what?

Since when did anything a politician say stop people from protesting?

Old 04-19-2020, 08:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Unfortunately, 50% is usually NOT BETTER than 0%. This is because the expenses of being open at all are far greater than of being closed. The margins are slim, at the upper 10%-maybe 20% (if lucky) of full occupancy revenue.
This would totally depend on the type of business, whether they continued to have curb side pick up and the type of food that is being ordered: example, if a restaurant is 50% full and most of those eating are also drinking adult beverages the profit/ loss margin changes considerably. Our son in law has managed many decent. well known restaurants so I have some knowledge of the small profit margin.

Old 04-19-2020, 08:49 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,337,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This would totally depend on the type of business, whether they continued to have curb side pick up and the type of food that is being ordered: example, if a restaurant is 50% full and most of those eating are also drinking adult beverages the profit/ loss margin changes considerably. Our son in law has managed many decent. well known restaurants so I have some knowledge of the small profit margin.
Nita - did you miss my use of the word “usually”? Yes, some businesses are structured to do better on ‘take-out’ % than sit-down dining. But you specified dining in with lower occupancies.

Old 04-19-2020, 08:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:

At this point I think the best answer is still: common sense and a balance between the economy and protecting us as much as possible from contracting the virus. We can not live in shells any longer, but we certainly have to be concerned about other around us.

Old 04-19-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
They’re already doing it to some extent. They’re doing take out and the volume has to be lower than the pre-virus days.

I realize this is anecdotal, but when this first started, my favorite sandwich place cut their staff from 10 to 3 because of the steep decline in business. They also severely reduced their menu. When I went, there would be one or two customers.

I went a few days ago, and they were so busy, they were struggling to keep up. I had to wait 25 min because of a large crowd. Hopefully that’s a good sign, but it’s one place on one day, so who knows.

Old 04-19-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
So what?

Since when did anything a politician say stop people from protesting?
His point was not that he's stopping anyone from protesting. What he said was that the protesters won't influence his position on when to re-open businesses, schools, public events, etc.

Old 04-19-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
His point was not that he's stopping anyone from protesting. What he said was that the protesters won't influence his position on when to re-open businesses, schools, public events, etc.
Could be. I think ultimately what will sway him is lack of tax revenue.

On the extreme side, if you see other states open and we’re not, people may just start ignoring his orders and going to parks, beaches, trails. I don’t think it will go that far, but it’s possible.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
The restaurant ban is idiotic. I was getting take out and there’s a bunch of people standing around waiting for their food. What’s the difference between standing and sitting? There’s no reason why they can’t open for dine in at 30-50% capacity.
Until we know more about how this virus is carried, being inside a restaurant with asymptomatic people who are contagious is just too much of a risk.

One complicating factor is that aerosols, smaller droplets that can be emitted when people are breathing and talking, play some role in spreading the new coronavirus.

If the aerosols that people exhale in other settings are significant in spreading the disease, the six-foot distance would not be completely protective because those are carried more easily by air currents.

Aerosols are generally considered to be particles under 5 microns in diameter, about the size of a red blood cell, and can be spread in the environment by talking and breathing. But some researchers argue that this is a false dichotomy. Infectious droplets can’t easily be divided into those that are big enough to fall to the ground quickly and those that stay aloft because so much depends on environmental conditions and how deeply they penetrate into the respiratory tract.

“It’s really a continuum,” said Dr. Donald Milton, who studies bioaerosols at the University of Maryland School of Public Health.

Even without the launching power of a sneeze, air currents could carry a flow of aerosol sized virus particles exhaled by an infected person 20 feet or more away.

“In any confined geometry like an office room, meeting room, department store, food store,” said Eugene Chudnovsky, a physicist at the City University of New York. In a study not yet peer reviewed, he analyzed air flow and showed how, “the vortices in the air are taking the virus to different places.”

“The virus is so small, it can hitch a ride even on tiny, tiny particles,” Dr. Fineberg said. “But how important is each size and how well they can transmit disease is not fully understood.”

Stay 6 Feet Apart, We’re Told. But How Far Can Air Carry Coronavirus?
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/14/h...-six-feet.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles