Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2020, 01:28 PM

1,156 posts, read 987,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Is it just me, or does it seem COMPLETELY insane that you would FORCE teachers and pupils back to schools, already little petri dishes of infection and disease while banning VOLUNTARY associations like going to a nail salon, sporting event or church?
You’re not insane, Greasy Gomer Gavin is. Hope the people in this state finally wake the f up Rather than follow like little sheep. All hail to Governor Xi of CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 02:59 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
See links. 89% of hospitalizations have an underlying condition and 80% deaths are 65+. I haven’t found any information that would allow to estimate the number of deaths with pre-existing vs non pre-existing, and I’m not taking any article’s word for it. So I guess Newsom doesn’t care about that 4,800 since he wants to start school in July. Maybe because, it’s not really 4,800? Just a thought.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/...mm6915e3-H.pdf

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/COVID19/index.htm
I based my calculations on the 92% that the poster I was responding to claimed, I don't know how accurate that number is, but I didn't want to get in the weeds over whether it was 92% of 89% or something else.

I am not sure what Newsom has in mind for schools, I think he's shooting from the hip on that one and will revise that shortly. My grandson goes to public elementary school in Sac County, there are 29 or 30 kids in his tiny classroom, the kids sit 6 -8 around tables with barely any space between tables. That just won't work, and to complicate things, there are 7 or 8 Russian or Ukraine kids in his class and a number of folks in those communities moved their church services from their mega church in Rancho Cordova that was closed after 73 members got sick and one died to parishioners homes, where they have prayer services of 25-50 people at a time. Are they going to test the kids, or what? We usually watch our grandson while my son is working, that can't happen if there's a chance he will get the virus because my husband is immunocompromised.

The other thing is, the teachers have been doing the distance learning thing since late March or early April. Are they supposed to continue that until the scheduled last day of school which is June 9th and then go back to teaching in the classroom 3 weeks later? I think their union might have something to say about that.

Old 04-30-2020, 03:13 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Is it just me, or does it seem COMPLETELY insane that you would FORCE teachers and pupils back to schools, already little petri dishes of infection and disease while banning VOLUNTARY associations like going to a nail salon, sporting event or church?
ty
No, it's not just you. It is insane, there is something off with him. He can't keep the grin off his face. It's duping delight, when someone lies and they think that the lie is being believed.

Well he ran pretty much without any competition. Some businessman who nobody knew of, and the majority of CA residents didn't vote.

So he kind got in like a dictator would, someone like Fidel Castro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I based my calculations on the 92% that the poster I was responding to claimed, I don't know how accurate that number is, but I didn't want to get in the weeds over whether it was 92% of 89% or something else.

I am not sure what Newsom has in mind for schools, I think he's shooting from the hip on that one and will revise that shortly. My grandson goes to public elementary school in Sac County, there are 29 or 30 kids in his tiny classroom, the kids sit 6 -8 around tables with barely any space between tables. That just won't work, and to complicate things, there are 7 or 8 Russian or Ukraine kids in his class and a number of folks in those communities moved their church services from their mega church in Rancho Cordova that was closed after 73 members got sick and one died to parishioners homes, where they have prayer services of 25-50 people at a time. Are they going to test the kids, or what? We usually watch our grandson while my son is working, that can't happen if there's a chance he will get the virus because my husband is immunocompromised.

The other thing is, the teachers have been doing the distance learning thing since late March or early April. Are they supposed to continue that until the scheduled last day of school which is June 9th and then go back to teaching in the classroom 3 weeks later? I think their union might have something to say about that.
This goes beyond shooting from the hip. He is as bad as Trump if not worse.'

Didn't even communicate with anyone from any school board. You don't make an announcement/decision like that. Add in he is an awful speaker "uh and um" constantly.

Reasonable and logical people who do their own thinking, realize to stop looking at what party a politician is in, but what are they doing for the people they represent.

You brought up some very important issues, and yes you're right the various teacher's unions will have something to say about this. Since it was all news to them.

Old 04-30-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
You’re not insane, Greasy Gomer Gavin is. Hope the people in this state finally wake the f up Rather than follow like little sheep. All hail to Governor Xi of CA.
Well hopefully more will start to wake up, but here is a reason the term "sheeple" was created now quite a few years back to describe the American people.

I remember a few years ago there was a bad storm that hit some fairgrounds in Indiana where some well known country music band was about to play, the band didn't come on because the weather was already getting bad. But nobody left. Well people ended up getting killed as the scaffolding came down due to the storm. Horrible incident, but all I could of was you see the sky is getting dark, one woman interviewed said "well no one told us to leave", you have to have someone tell you to leave? You can't think maybe it's time to take cover?

A couple of years back watched the documentary film "Woodstock", the weather there was getting bad, people took cover, stagehands got off the stage, without having to be told. So in 1969 a bunch of for the most part drugged out hippies knew enough to take cover. I remember thinking when did people in this country lose the ability to think for themselves?

What the hell happened to Americans?

Old 04-30-2020, 03:40 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,047,091 times
Thanks to most americans being selfish and undependable, we are at defcon 1 babysitting.

Old 04-30-2020, 03:59 PM

172 posts, read 362,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
Thanks to Newsom's dictatorship being selfish and undependable, we are at defcon 1 babysitting.
Fixed it for you. The same individuals who are all for open borders and foreign nationals running freely are the same ones upset at law abiding citizens not abiding by a dictators fantasy of limiting citizens movement. Then again, this is the same cretin that slept with his best friend's wife and we're supposed to trust him.

We have reached peak hilarity in this state.

Old 04-30-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpingRoo View Post
Fixed it for you. The same individuals who are all for open borders and foreign nationals running freely are the same ones upset at law abiding citizens not abiding by a dictators fantasy of limiting citizens movement. Then again, this is the same cretin that slept with his best friend's wife and we're supposed to trust him.

We have reached peak hilarity in this state.
Well you see some rules only apply to some people.

I posted earlier I walked to my local 7/11 in comes an LAPD officer who politely asked the clerk if he could use the restroom. NO MASK..... saw the partner in the car no mask as well.

I said to the clerk "I guess we have to wear masks but they don't".

Also how come Newsom doesn't address the growing frustration with people who have gotten laid off, \
can't even access the EDD website or forget calling. Many have also posted that the phone numbers and links provided to people don't work.....hmmm.

I now know 3 people who have lost their jobs. One applied 4 weeks ago, still hasn't gotten a check. I just got a text from one saying their head is about to explode due to not getting through. So we now have people who aren't getting a paycheck and aren't getting UE benefits.

Frustration is growing, not good.

I'm sure their website is overloaded, and they're short staffed. No mention from Newsom of addressing that issue or hiring additional people for EDD, other states have done that.

If you ever saw the movie "American Psycho" he reminds many of the Patrick Bateman character.

I don't trust anything he says.

He and his wife took money from PGE. Where did the high speed rail money go?

Old 04-30-2020, 04:42 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
ty
No, it's not just you. It is insane, there is something off with him. He can't keep the grin off his face. It's duping delight, when someone lies and they think that the lie is being believed.
Well he ran pretty much without any competition. Some businessman who nobody knew of, and the majority of CA residents didn't vote.
So he kind got in like a dictator would, someone like Fidel Castro.
This goes beyond shooting from the hip. He is as bad as Trump if not worse.'
Didn't even communicate with anyone from any school board. You don't make an announcement/decision like that. Add in he is an awful speaker "uh and um" constantly.
Reasonable and logical people who do their own thinking, realize to stop looking at what party a politician is in, but what are they doing for the people they represent.
You brought up some very important issues, and yes you're right the various teacher's unions will have something to say about this. Since it was all news to them.
I disagree with what he said about reopening the schools in July and I think he will retract those statements or give a better explanation, but for the most part I think he's doing ok managing this crisis. A few weeks ago this is the way he described changes that schools might have to make:

Quote:
Students can be staggered. School officials can work with labor unions to create a new school day in which some students can attend classes in cohorts: some attend classes in the morning, and some attend classes in the afternoon. The way schools conduct assemblies, physical education and recess will need to be revisited. Schools, parks and playgrounds will be deeply sanitized and disinfected.

Old 04-30-2020, 05:26 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
I disagree with what he said about reopening the schools in July and I think he will retract those statements or give a better explanation, but for the most part I think he's doing ok managing this crisis.
Agreed. Discussion of a July opening has received resistance from teachers unions.

California teachers resist Newsom’s ‘unrealistic’ call for July start:
https://www.politico.com/states/cali...-start-1281241

Old 04-30-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I disagree with what he said about reopening the schools in July and I think he will retract those statements or give a better explanation, but for the most part I think he's doing ok managing this crisis. A few weeks ago this is the way he described changes that schools might have to make:
You don't make a statement like that to begin with when you don't even consult the people who run school districts in the state, end of story.

It goes beyond making a retraction or giving a better explanation. He had no right to decide that in the first place.

He is acting like a dictator.

People are starting to get fed up, the college kids in the UC system are now angry about not getting their tuition back.

It's not going to matter what color your skin is, what age they are, and which way they lean politically...people are getting fed up. You see when people feel they're being tread upon, lied to, and worried about how they're going to get by, there other differences go by the wayside.

Add in all those who have lost their jobs and applied with EDD and still haven't gotten their checks, I know someone who is still waiting for 4 weeks now. Many are like this. Others can't even get online due to issues with the system being overloaded. Calling is impossible.

He never mentions that does he?

He's a joke, no better than Trump. Different party, but the same MO.

Do you know about his recent dealings with China?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles