Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2020, 12:07 PM

6,602 posts, read 4,821,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I've lived in three different OC cities and have never been more than five minutes' drive from a grocery store. Where I am now, I can walk. I'm trying to think of any OC area which would be so far from a grocery store that it would "discourage people from driving there." Maybe if you live in the far back of Coto de Caza? I can assure you that such places account for only a tiny fraction of OC residents and most residential areas are not anything like that. There are supermarkets everywhere.
"Cities." True of most cities in any county. Is that true for OC residents living outside cities? Also, it's possible that Orange County stores have safer interior designs (from being newer) and more curbside pickup and delivery options.

Something else is that reduced LA traffic removes a usual hesitance to go to stores.

I think stores that are shut due to outbreaks shouldn't be allowed to reopen inside without first offering curbside pickup (if they can).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2020, 01:28 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,267,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'm trying to think of any OC area which would be so far from a grocery store that it would "discourage people from driving there."
Silverado Canyon

Coto de Caza has a ton just outside the gate, but what does it matter when Cook is doing the shopping anyways

Old 05-15-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Sure at this moment, however unless i need emergency surgery i am not seeing myself voluntary getting the test. Also you can test negative in the morning and be positive in the evening.
Yeah, so? The test also isn't very accurate. It's still better than nothing, which is having contagious people endangering others and therefore most of the economy shut down. The way out includes temperature checks with occasional full-fledged testing or as indicated by a temperature or other symptoms. Someone going into surgery soon probably isn't going out much and therefore unlikely to get infected just after a test.

Old 05-15-2020, 02:25 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,113,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Yeah, so? The test also isn't very accurate. It's still better than nothing, which is having contagious people endangering others and therefore most of the economy shut down. The way out includes temperature checks with occasional full-fledged testing or as indicated by a temperature or other symptoms. Someone going into surgery soon probably isn't going out much and therefore unlikely to get infected just after a test.
Temperature test is really misleading. You are unlikely to be running a fever until you're severely sick. Also temperature test can be impacted by how long you been outside and how hot it's outside.

Old 05-15-2020, 02:40 PM

"You are unlikely to be running a fever until you're severely sick."

I don't think that's true. Fever vs. high fever. It has other real problems, including daytime variations in body temperature. It's a lousy screening tool (a slightly elevated temperature isn't technically a fever), but also better than nothing.

Doing nothing except minimizing interactions among people isn't getting Los Angeles out of this soon.

Old 05-15-2020, 02:43 PM

21,589 posts, read 16,114,085 times
Quote:
Temperature test is really misleading. You are unlikely to be running a fever until you're severely sick. Also temperature test can be impacted by how long you been outside and how hot it's outside.
So are most comments contributed by foreign trolls engaged in campaigns to create mistrust and confusion.

Old 05-15-2020, 04:21 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,229,223 times
Quote:
Sure at this moment, however unless i need emergency surgery i am not seeing myself voluntary getting the test. Also you can test negative in the morning and be positive in the evening.
If you get your teeth cleaned, even a normal cleaning twice a year, as you should, you will most likely need to get it even before that.

Old 05-15-2020, 04:29 PM

460 posts, read 228,819 times
Quote:
Are they testing anyone for HIV before teeth cleaning?
There've been many people who've been infected with HIV through dental services, but they're not testing for it.

Covid-flu situation is nothing but a cover for totalitarian power grab, basically, hence all the ridiculous things like "contact tracing" (of millions that have or had it), useless and invasive testing wannabes, while they're out of money completely and printing money like crazy which will destroy the economy for good. If they start requiring testing for unrelated medical care, they'll just deter people from seeking medical care and will be sued. Currently, I think even people who'd get strong covid-flu symptoms would be too afraid to seek medical care.

Old 05-15-2020, 04:40 PM

21,589 posts, read 16,114,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by landlock View Post
Are they testing anyone for HIV before teeth cleaning?
There've been many people who've been infected with HIV through dental services, but they're not testing for it.

Covid-flu situation is nothing but a cover for totalitarian power grab, basically, hence all the ridiculous things like "contact tracing" (of millions that have or had it), useless and invasive testing wannabes, while they're out of money completely and printing money like crazy which will destroy the economy for good. If they start requiring testing for unrelated medical care, they'll just deter people from seeking medical care and will be sued. Currently, I think even people who'd get strong covid-flu symptoms would be too afraid to seek medical care.
No, there haven’t. Worldwide there is one confirmation of 6 persons being infected by one dentist with AIDS over 30 years.

Yet another example of this poster’s assigned agenda to spread misinformation and discord.

Old 05-15-2020, 05:02 PM

4,625 posts, read 3,358,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by landlock View Post
What a newslfash, population density and public transport affect flu cases per capita. I think this discovery should be nominated for next year's Nobel prize.

Anyway, there was a video of folks infecting themselves with covid-flu in LA jails, to get released.
Well it certainly won't be you that is for sure.

Population density and public transit may not explain nearly as much as you think. Overly simplistic explanations won't cut it in a global pandemic.....too many other factors at play.

If they are such major drivers in per capita differences then why is San Francisco and the Bay Area in general seeing a lower case count and death rate? The bay area has a relatively high pop density and a greater per capita use of mass transit than Los Angeles County.

Many factors beyond pop density and mass transit use have to be considered: percent of households working from home (very high in tech in SF/Bay area), overall wealth/household incomes, the speed/date that shelter in place orders were issued, the proportion of households in nursing homes in an area, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles