Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2020, 06:47 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
No, I don't agree. And I'm trying to handle this graciously, but the tirades of insults present prodigious challenge. Not all of us cleave to colloquialisms; and in "real life", I speak exactly as I write on this Forum. My "agenda" is toward economic and personal freedom. The hypothesized loss of life, while horrible, is less horrible than the alternative. It is dismaying that you not only regard such a view as being illegitimate, but indicate of some kind of malignancy or subversion. To this, all that I can say, is that one side or the other, will be vindicated in the next election.
“Tirades of insults”?

And your “agenda is toward economic and personal freedom”? Interesting to read that a nihilist who has no interest in living (as you stated in a subsequent post several times) - nonetheless has an agenda toward economic and personal freedom. Pretty contradictory, wouldn’t you say peasant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2020, 07:21 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
One of them could be my son. He works at a grocery store, and although the employees are all wearing masks now, his chances of getting infected go up every day he goes to work. If my son dies from COVID-19, what would you "reopen everything now" people say to me? Would you really look me in the eye and tell me, "Oh, well. Sucks for him. Sorry, but the economy was more important."?
I am sorry your son works in a job where he is more likely to catch the virus but he is going to come in contact with most of the same people regardless if things open up. Its more of a problem for people going back to work who have been home this whole time.

I grew up in the valley and moved out of state years ago. Its sad to see how the virus has hit hard in the LA area. I do not regret moving far away. But where I am now I see the same cashiers at my local supermarket. No one has gotten sick at the store at all. Hopefully the same where your son works.

Old 05-16-2020, 07:29 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,301,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
And do what? Are you aware there's an immense job deficit now and in the foreseeable future?
So a job (the economy) IS more important than an individual life?

Old 05-16-2020, 07:44 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post

They are both important. Until when and if there is a vaccine people will keep dying from this either faster or slower. Keeping the economy shut does not stop the deaths.

Old 05-16-2020, 07:51 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
You're presenting a Morton's Fork. What's important is that people follow the CDC guidelines, and we know what they are. Put on a mask, and stay 6' away from others whenever possible.

Old 05-20-2020, 02:46 AM

1,763 posts, read 2,047,359 times
i'm amazed by the massive altruism.

I imagine these same people have stopped driving as well, to prevent automobile deaths.

people need to start focusing on the massively massive numbers of covid survivors, and stop being distracted by the death numbers.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:37 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
By which I suppose you mean everything's fine. I think they should focus on those survivors, especially the many with fallout to their health, mental wellness, or finances and relationships. Getting taken out of commission by COVID-19 is no joke. Letting a dangerous virus work its way through the public at a slowed place isn't working well for Los Angeles.

Old 05-20-2020, 11:30 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
people need to start focusing on the massively massive numbers of covid survivors, and stop being distracted by the death numbers.
132 people in California died yesterday of COVID-19....you can tell that to the families of these people.

Old 05-20-2020, 11:47 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,142,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
132 people in California died yesterday of COVID-19....you can tell that to the families of these people.
How many of them had underlying health issues? How many of them were in nursing homes etc. It's misleading to classify most of them as died as direct result from covid-19 as chances are if it wasn't covid they would have died from something else being they were in bad health.

Old 05-20-2020, 12:06 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
It's misleading to classify most of them as died as direct result from covid-19 as chances are if it wasn't covid they would have died from something else being they were in bad health.
It doesn't sound like it.

For COVID-19, the immediate cause of death might be listed as respiratory distress, with the second line reading “due to COVID-19.” Contributing factors such as heart disease, diabetes or high blood pressure would then be listed further down. This has led to some confusion by people arguing that the “real” cause of death was heart disease or diabetes, said Dr. Sally Aiken, the president of the National Association of Medical Examiners, but that’s not the case.

Without the COVID19 being the last straw or the thing that led to the chain of events that led to death, they probably wouldn’t have died,” she said.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-are-counted1/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles