U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2008, 04:38 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,308,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMom View Post
The crime is up, the immigration population is up, and the traffic is terrible. I worked 2.5 miles from our home in Burbank and to commute it took me 20 minutes. To some that's not bad but the frustation of additional traffic, houses being torn down for big apartment complexs it's just won't get any better.
Yeah traffic in Burbank is "terrible", by Alabama standards! As someone who just moved to Burbank from the East Coast, I have to say that traffic around here is an absolute breeze, especially when compared to LA. The biggest problem with driving around Burbank isn't the traffic - it's the fact that none of the traffic lights are coordinated!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 05:16 PM

269 posts, read 827,268 times
I work in Burbank and overall it's a very nice town. I would stick to the foothills if possible or near the studios.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:52 PM

422 posts, read 1,676,924 times
I lived in Burbank north of Glenoaks, within walking distance of what was then the Media Center mall, in the early '00s. Ups: Liveable, reasonably safe, accessible. Downs: Very hot in the summer, dullsville.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:16 PM

8 posts, read 22,746 times
I am moving to Burbank from West LA, could you suggest me a good place to look for apartments. Is the area around glenoaks & scott safe ? Thanks.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:28 PM

240 posts, read 834,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakana View Post
Burbank Cops are *******s!
What makes them *******s?

Old 09-21-2008, 10:30 PM

419 posts, read 1,335,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeforall View Post
I am moving to Burbank from West LA, could you suggest me a good place to look for apartments. Is the area around glenoaks & scott safe ? Thanks.
Generally speaking, yes. I would consider inching closer to the town center as it is very walkable there - you'll find plenty of apartments and duplexes just north of San Fernando.

Here's some praise for Burbank, to counter some of the derision on this thread.

Also, I recently fell in love with the Burbank Bus system, which is excellent and free with an MTA pass.

Another little gem: Burbank has partnered with Google to integrate public transit and walking into Google maps - so you can incorporate available options besides driving in your directions.

We just moved here last week from Sherman Oaks and finally feel "at home" in LA since heading up to the valley from OC.

Good luck.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:18 PM

8 posts, read 22,746 times
Thank you very much ConsideringLA . We are also considering Toluca Lake because that is closer to where my husband works. As far as the rent is concerned which place( Burbank/Toluca lake) do you think is cheaper?

Old 09-23-2008, 10:26 PM

240 posts, read 834,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeforall View Post
As far as the rent is concerned which place( Burbank/Toluca lake) do you think is cheaper?
Head up to the Burbank airport and get a nice little shack at the end of one of the runways. That should be pretty cheap.

To be serious, I'm sure that Toluca is pricier than most of Burbank.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:31 PM

419 posts, read 1,335,874 times
First, they are kissing cousins - we're in Magnolia Park in Burbank and we shop at the Trader Joe's in Toluca Lake.

The neighborhoods in Toluca Lake are drop dead gorgeous - the ones walkable to TJ's and the strip on Riverside Drive are going to be pricey. Even though it's LAUSD, there's a cachet in TL that equates to a premium over Burbank. Burbank schools are MUCH better, but there's less prestige IMO. I glanced at craigslist - for the same rent as our updated 3/2 SFR you end up with a condo in TL.

You might consider looking in Toluca Woods, which is split between NoHo and Burbank, generally west of N Hollywood Way, east of Cahuenga, south of Chandler. You'll get very good rents (cheaper than TL, cheaper than Burbank north of Glenoaks, a little less than Magnolia Park) and closer access to your husband's work. It's also walkable to the Chandler path, which is a cool bonus to get you access to Burbank shopping and a 1.5 mile bike ride to North Hollywood transit / Orange Line to Warner Center.

I recommend going on a Saturday with a few craigslist listings peppered in the 3 nearby areas (TL, TW, Mag Park) and seeing which vibe suits you - there are definitely subtle differences. Be forewarned: you'll fall in love with Toluca Lake... thankfully school is an issue for us, so it was a non-starter --- otherwise I'd be forking over the extra bucks to keep the Mrs. happy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles