Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2020, 03:09 AM

6 posts, read 6,233 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone

my friend is starting his residency in one of Long Beach's hospitals next June, and looking for an apartment in a safe neighborhood. the search online is so confusing and misleading.. he needs input on that from someone from around the area? Any advice, please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 11:22 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,266,774 times
Downtown, Belmont Shore, Naples, Bixby Village and the ocean front between Downtown LB and Belmont Shore. I'd also look in Seal Beach/Los Alamitos, which borders LB to the south.

Old 04-15-2020, 02:13 PM

Thanks a lot for the advice.. but when it comes to neighborhoods with good schools, where one can have a walk around without being mugged or park the car without worrying, which districts or neighborhoods are the best?

Old 04-15-2020, 02:52 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,266,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary1980 View Post
Thanks a lot for the advice.. but when it comes to neighborhoods with good schools, where one can have a walk around without being mugged or park the car without worrying, which districts or neighborhoods are the best?
With kids I'd bump Seal Beach/Los Alamitos ahead of Long Beach. After that I'd drop Downtown LB out and bump up Belmont, Naples, Bixby and Bluff Park (ocean front between DTLB and Belmont). I've never had any concerns being out late in any of those neighborhoods.

Old 04-15-2020, 03:08 PM

we appreciate your feedback, it is so helpful!! now we can relate why the rent in these areas is the most expensive. so I guess, all in all, it's safer to stick to the south and east parts, right?

Old 04-18-2020, 01:26 AM

823 posts, read 1,772,163 times
Homelessness is rampant in Long Beach, but it's a problem in many cities. I would not recommend downtown regardless of the luxury high rise dwellings and nearby shops. Avoid the south, north, Central, and West. Bixby Knolls is walkable, but you have to watch out for the homeless. Eastside is my favorite, but a long ways from the hospitals, unless it's the VA. Traffic in Long Beach can be really bad as well as parking. The good: Bixby, Airport, LBCC Carson campus, Millikan HS area, CSULB, El Dorado park

Old 04-18-2020, 08:50 PM

4,536 posts, read 10,585,549 times
Hi OP,

Basically anything East and or south of redondo Ave is fine. That’s a bit of an over broad stroke, but mostly accurate. East of Lakewood bl and the traffic circle is all the better.

If nothing there suits you, Lakewood is nice but you have to check where the school district you are zoned to is. As others said seal beach and Los Alamitos are nice as is Cerritos, Cypress, Huntington Beach. But with any of that you have to factor in drive. As others have said traffic can get bad. It can take 30 minutes or more to drive from one end of the city to the other. And you won’t be able to gauge that right now due to the non traffic.

My personal preference would be somewhere within a half mile along Lakewood Bl, close to the hospital as possible.

For best combination of living with family atmosphere along with somewhat decent rents, my choice would be Lakewood followed by Huntington Beach. There’s just lots of young families in both places with an emphasis on youth activities, but both involve longer drives. Lake wood is cheaper(by a lot), HB is nicer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles