Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2008, 05:08 PM

4 posts, read 14,606 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of relocating to LA. (no kids) Where would be nice area to live (within 10-15 mins drive) if the workplace is in Glendale or Panoramacity? Is it possible to find a decent small newer house in mid $700 in safe neighborhood? If not, how much would be enough and will it be good investment for future still? Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 05:13 PM

46 posts, read 178,024 times
Default it's a little small

for $700,

take a look at craigslist

don't expect to have a big house, i'll say maybe less than 1000sq

Old 04-25-2008, 05:50 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,971 times
$700k would be plenty for a nice home in that area, and it wouldn't have to be under 1000 sf.

Pasadena and Glendale are good areas to live, and good areas to invest your real estate $$. Everyone on this forum seems to agree about that. The main place you want to avoid in Pasadena is the NW sector, and there is another. But as long as you are looking in the $700k range, you won't be in that area anyway.

Enjoy!

Old 04-25-2008, 05:50 PM

thanks for reply. Actually, small size is good coz it's just the two of us. We care more about safety areas and house condition.

What would be a price range for good small home in nice areas as mentioned? We could do up to one mil but IMO we feel one mil is so expensive for just a house, coming from small town. However i understand it is for the land and with real estate crisis now, Is it worth investing all this money into buying just a home there?

Everything else is so good that we really want to move there, the job and the town, we went for interview trip and loved it. We got job offer and have to make decision soon. House is big concern. Is it worth it? Where would be good area to invest for future? I would appreciate any advice. thanks again.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:50 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
If you work in Glendale, I would live in Glendale. It's a very nice and clean community. If your are working in Panorma City, Northridge. If you need a place in the middle, Burbank.

If you are looking for a bargain, there are a lot of bank owned properties or auctions. I would strongly recommend renting in an area first before making a huge purchase and being sorry.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:52 PM

11 posts, read 39,695 times
You might want to consider buying in Glendale itself. La Canada and Montrose are other options.
Commute on 210W from Pasadena to Glendale is OK but may be a problem too since it is westbound.
You may also want to look into Eagle Rock Mt. Washington area;
Agree with comment re NW Pasadena...

Old 04-25-2008, 07:53 PM

thanks for info about traffic coming from Pasadena. Montrose or La canada seem better choices coz job place is close to highway 2.

I agree on renting first and that's what we plan to do. But even we do that we think we should find out more about buying potential before we move. We are now very interested in Montrose or burbank and would like to hear from any of you who can share (more in specific numbers coz i already knew that it is very expensive city).

About renting, Does anyone know any monthly parking place around brand street close to mall area where Americanas is? We are considering renting one bedroom but we have two cars. thanks again very much.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:08 PM

422 posts, read 1,819,086 times
You should be able to find a wide range of homes that fit your needs in your price range. Glendale is OK, but boring (ditto Burbank). Pasadena is more hip and has more to do, tho its still a bit stodgy IMHO. South to Atwater Village and Los Feliz puts you closer to where the action is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles