Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 12:36 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times

Advertisements

I was just watching the Channel 2 news and I noticed that all of the "field" reporters are wearing masks. Now, we know that they're probably 10 feet from the cameraman, so why do they need to wear a mask ? Is it just to keep us scared ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2020, 08:41 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I was just watching the Channel 2 news and I noticed that all of the "field" reporters are wearing masks. Now, we know that they're probably 10 feet from the cameraman, so why do they need to wear a mask ? Is it just to keep us scared ?
Yes, of course it is.

Notice everyone looks well groomed. Most of these people especially the anchors are up their age wise. No one who has dark hair seems to have turned gray, no men with hair over the ears or collar.

We all know they get hair and makeup just like it always has been, When the cameras roll than you get the 6 of more feet apart.

I have pretty much stop watching, I find there seems to be a lot of patronizing attitudes now, talking to the little people. I remember when they reported how hair dye and clippers were flying off the shelves, just like TP. They couldn't keep grins off their faces. Well when you have your hair and makeup just as always it doesn't impact you, so why care about the hardship it causes for the masses?

Old 05-01-2020, 09:15 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
Many are reporting from home I think. They stand in front of shelves loaded with knickknacks.

Old 05-01-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Many are reporting from home I think. They stand in front of shelves loaded with knickknacks.

Some are, but many are in the studio.

The anchors are, and most are in their 50s or 60s. Yet no one has gone gray who wasn't already, men have recent haircuts and women have nicely coiffed hair. Of course they're wearing makeup as you have to for the camera otherwise you look very washed out.

So it's all for show, they have hair and makeup people hovering over them. Than it's time to sit about 8ft. apart for the camera.

Old 05-01-2020, 12:35 PM

23,300 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Ever heard of windowdressing? These are "public" figures. Or public darlings. There is some percentage of the viewing public that is actually influenced by these people, hard as this is to believe. They see themselves as examples, trend setters, leaders. Even though they might see themselves as a cut above the unwashed masses they're suggesting that "I've lowered myself from my lofty perch because we're all in this together". Maybe the station would get flooded with complaints from over zealous public health warriors if they didn't. Those who really think about it realize they can't be abiding by distancing rules while on the job.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-01-2020 at 01:11 PM..

Old 05-01-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Ever heard of windowdressing? These are "public" figures. Or public darlings. There is some percentage of the viewing public that is actually influenced by these people, hard as this is to believe. They see themselves as examples, trend setters, leaders. Even though they might see themselves as a cut above the unwashed masses they're suggesting that "we're all in this together". Maybe the station would get flooded with complaints from over zealous public health warriors if they didn't. Those who really think about it realize they can't be abiding by distancing rules while on the job.

Very valid point, and especially the last sentence.

I pretty much stopped watching when a story was done about the next shortages, hair dye and hair clippers and the gleeful wayl it was reported.

You at home, your hair is getting unkempt and in some cases gray, and you can't even get hair dye unless you bought it awhile back, we get our hair done but once the camera rolls play the social distancing game for you to buy into....LOL.

Yes, "we're all in this together", couldn't be further from the truth.

This will backfire, many Americans who more so than other countries are starting to realize their obsession with celebrities is really meaningless and how most of them are irrelevant.

Old 05-01-2020, 02:45 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,301,369 times
I think it is the fear of being criticized if they don't.

Old 05-03-2020, 01:34 AM

1,763 posts, read 2,047,359 times
They're setting a good example of wearing masks when out in public. On a subconscious level, they're conditioning you to be more accepting of wearing a mask.

why do masks make you scared?

i don't understand this psychology. We're all just looking out for one another, and most of us don't have the rona.

Old 05-03-2020, 02:34 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,142,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
They're setting a good example of wearing masks when out in public. On a subconscious level, they're conditioning you to be more accepting of wearing a mask.

why do masks make you scared?

i don't understand this psychology. We're all just looking out for one another, and most of us don't have the rona.
Do people really get conditioned by news reporters? I will be honest that i haven't watched any local news station in years.

Old 05-03-2020, 05:32 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,306,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
It is because they are being cautious. The last thing they want is someones hot germy breath from the street floating over into their mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles