U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 02:38 AM

6,550 posts, read 8,928,236 times

Advertisements

Yep, so sad when I heard this announced too. I went here the most out of any restaurant...about every 1-2 mos.

My favorites were:

their little pizza on focaccia bread
cream of mushroom soup
wonton happiness salad
their ranch dressing for my salad

My only hope is that someday, they can reopen somehow down the road when there's been a covid cure/vaccine for it for a while & is no longer even talked about anymore.

I personally LOVE buffets!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 07:30 PM

4,953 posts, read 3,115,531 times
LA Times had a article about Soup Plantation May 10. Mostly describe the restaurant. 97 locations, 4,400 employees, 70,000 weekly customers.

Old 05-25-2020, 09:00 AM

1,273 posts, read 761,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaminoDelAvion View Post
What about Sizzler, a few were left?

Never tried Sizzler. Other than Souplantation, I’m not really a buffet person. SP was a great option for families, especially due to its variety, value, and health aspects.

The way it was set up helped encourage my kids to eat more vegetables and the salad first, before filling up on the carbs. And everyone always found a soup they enjoyed, so it made for a more well-rounded meal than at a traditional menu place.

I regularly pass by our closed local one, and always feel sad at the sight of the once popular and nicely remodeled neighborhood standby now sitting empty and shuttered.

Why couldn’t corporate keep the profitable ones, and streamline costs more? Perhaps they can reopen utilizing a type of self-service chute server for each ingredient, like those old penny glass gum ball dispensers, with a dispenser for each salad component. I liked the ability to serve myself, and having someone do it would not be the same.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:29 AM

The one in Porter Ranch I was a regular at and I called it a money making machine, parking was all around and you could see it from a very busy street and area. Plus there is a huge church right across the street. I thought they could open the more profitable ones.
The one in Valancia was in a outside mall, you had to park in a parking structure a block away and you wouldn't know it's there unless you lived and shopped there. I found it by looking on the internet.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:34 AM

2,077 posts, read 4,432,476 times
Brentwood was always crowded but I bet they were paying 50k in rent. That's a lot of soup!

Old 05-25-2020, 09:08 PM

180 posts, read 72,542 times
I remember their constant annoying ads on 94.7 The Wave saying it was the "best restaurant in the world." Drove me nuts

Old 05-27-2020, 02:41 PM

43 posts, read 8,622 times
My biggest problem with buffets is that people don't watch their kids at many of them.

Last time I was in Laughlin, NV at a buffet, I lost my appetite and vowed never to eat at one again after watching a teenager put his hand in his shorts, scratch his crotch and then go and get a clean plate from the stack at the front of the buffet. It made me realize, at that time, how potentially risky the buffet environment could be.

I loved our local Souplantation here in my area, but it was always a concern if people were making their children wash their hands after visiting the restroom and then re-entering the buffet line.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:13 PM

Selhairs in Retail and Restaurants posted a idea I haven't read before.
School cafeteria style where the server is behind glass and doles out into your tray whatever and how much you want and the tray moves down the line to the next server. The customer never touches the food.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:21 PM

2,077 posts, read 4,432,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Selhairs in Retail and Restaurants posted a idea I haven't read before.
School cafeteria style where the server is behind glass and doles out into your tray whatever and how much you want and the tray moves down the line to the next server. The customer never touches the food.
I could live with that as long as I can do the mini ice cream cones myself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles