Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 07:50 AM

2,353 posts, read 5,373,059 times

Advertisements

One of my favorite places to dine is done

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ts/3094319001/

I will miss the baby ice cream cones most
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 08:06 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
My mom loved us taking her to the location in Camarillo when we made our bi-monthly visits. I really liked being able to make a salad exactly like I wanted. Had to stop going myself because their muffins and other waist-expanding fare was too difficult to avoid.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 05-08-2020, 08:20 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
One of my favorite places to dine is done

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ts/3094319001/

I will miss the baby ice cream cones most
I wouldn’t close down. I would revamp my serving line where someone dishes out food in their section and the customers are on the other side behind a sneeze screen. Just like Subway makes sandwiches. Only longer. Space the serving stations 6 feet apart this way the customers cannot come in close contact with each other. The plexiglass keeps the customer from blowing spit and snot everywhere. There is a cutout on one side of the plexi where the plate enters customer says they want this tha and the other and the plate comes out from a cutout on the other side.

They will save on food as people won’t be able to pile a ton of food on a plate. Hell I would go as far as giving them smaller plates and glasses.

Sure the price goes up a little but hey everything will go up. You’re gonna have to make more space between the tables anyway because they are sit down. Like I said sit down eating is gonna get expensive. Someone has to pay for all this reconfiguration of eateries. Someone will figure out how to still do buffet style eating. It may not be fully self serve.

I watched a video on what some people do at buffets.....it’s enough to make you never wanna eat there. I haven’t touched a buffet after that video.

Old 05-08-2020, 08:30 AM

77 posts, read 82,044 times
We used to go once a week to the Brentwood location. Getting a healthy meal topped off with a guilt-free ice cream and warm chocolate brownie for like $10 was a great deal. I'm really bummed about this, especially since my infant really liked going there as well.

Old 05-08-2020, 09:42 AM

8,328 posts, read 6,419,063 times
It's my favorite too, I went every Saturday and sometimes more. The Porter Ranch one is big and always full, had to be a real money maker. Healthy food too.
Home Town buffet has a bigger selection but somehow just isn't as good.
I wonder about the salad bars in regular restaurants like Sizzler and Shakeys and many more.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:00 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I wouldn’t close down. I would revamp my serving line where someone dishes out food in their section and the customers are on the other side behind a sneeze screen. Just like Subway makes sandwiches. Only longer. Space the serving stations 6 feet apart this way the customers cannot come in close contact with each other. The plexiglass keeps the customer from blowing spit and snot everywhere. There is a cutout on one side of the plexi where the plate enters customer says they want this tha and the other and the plate comes out from a cutout on the other side.

They will save on food as people won’t be able to pile a ton of food on a plate. Hell I would go as far as giving them smaller plates and glasses.

Sure the price goes up a little but hey everything will go up. You’re gonna have to make more space between the tables anyway because they are sit down. Like I said sit down eating is gonna get expensive. Someone has to pay for all this reconfiguration of eateries. Someone will figure out how to still do buffet style eating. It may not be fully self serve.

I watched a video on what some people do at buffets.....it’s enough to make you never wanna eat there. I haven’t touched a buffet after that video.
This wouldn’t have been too hard to do. They already had the plexiglass and people behind the counters preparing food. You just would have had to hire a few more people.

Old 05-08-2020, 12:18 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,746,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post

I'm sure they did the math and figured it wouldn't work.

They already spent a ton of money a few years ago updating a lot of restaurants and opening new ones. Over the years they have cheapened their recipes (no meat in their staple "Wonton Happiness" salad anymore) and already made their plates smaller. I didn't like the changes and went there less over the years.

Old 05-08-2020, 12:37 PM

1,156 posts, read 986,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
I'm sure they did the math and figured it wouldn't work.

They already spent a ton of money a few years ago updating a lot of restaurants and opening new ones. Over the years they have cheapened their recipes (no meat in their staple "Wonton Happiness" salad anymore) and already made their plates smaller. I didn't like the changes and went there less over the years.
Souplantation’s troubles pre-date the Covid era. They had financial troubles in 2008/2009 and again in 2016/2017. This just ended it for good this time.

Old 05-08-2020, 01:36 PM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Souplantation is a favorite among some of my family members. I am sorry to hear that it might be closing down for good.

Old 05-08-2020, 01:57 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
This wouldn’t have been too hard to do. They already had the plexiglass and people behind the counters preparing food. You just would have had to hire a few more people.
Of course how much are people willing to pay for the extra staff and time going back in line because the server might be less willing to overload a plate in the all you can eat model.

There is a smaller chain that does build the salad for you, but no soups, yet the price for that salad alone was more than
Soup Plantation's unlimited soups,drinks,deserts, pizza/bread along with the salad built to individual taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles