U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 06:17 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,824,542 times

Advertisements

Why didn't you put this question to the "Friend" in North Hollywood
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 06:26 PM

3,677 posts, read 1,500,430 times
I moved from LA to NY 50 years ago. Without connections or money LA had no opportunities for me. NYC had lots of opportunities for an ambitious hard working person. I always considered LA a sort of Fantasyland. My west coast relatives and friends never progressed from where they were when I left. They have basically stood still for the past 50 years.

Old 05-14-2020, 10:28 PM

8 posts, read 8,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Why didn't you put this question to the "Friend" in North Hollywood
Honestly we had this exact same discussion and I weighed and voiced my concerns to him. He considered moving back to western PA for the time being until things are back to normal. Also, I have a friend living in North Carolina that was also pulling me to make a move to Chicago before all this started and is still trying to nudge me.

Are you implying with the quotes that my friend is imaginary?

Old 05-14-2020, 10:29 PM

8 posts, read 8,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
LA is fine and still a place of opportunity, but if I was 27 I'd be moving to Miami.
Miami?

Curious as to why?

I've been to Miami before and actually loved it and have family in Pembroke Pines

Old 05-15-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcaramel View Post
Honestly we had this exact same discussion and I weighed and voiced my concerns to him. He considered moving back to western PA for the time being until things are back to normal. Also, I have a friend living in North Carolina that was also pulling me to make a move to Chicago before all this started and is still trying to nudge me.

Are you implying with the quotes that my friend is imaginary?
It's just that people throw that word around loosely. So if I had a true friend somewhere, regarding a personal decision like this, I probably would just talk to them. But it may be that the friend told you that you didn't want to hear, is that possible?

Old 05-15-2020, 06:04 PM

11,723 posts, read 11,173,973 times
I agree with Sandy. I'm a long time resident, an we're overloaded with people here who want to "make it" in the entertainment industry.

I know somebody who was an actor in the film Machete. He's never had an acting lesson in his life, but you'd never know it, because acting is really easy work and not an actual profession, since we're all actors to a certain degree.

Old 05-15-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I agree with Sandy. I'm a long time resident, an we're overloaded with people here who want to "make it" in the entertainment industry.

I know somebody who was an actor in the film Machete. He's never had an acting lesson in his life, but you'd never know it, because acting is really easy work and not an actual profession, since we're all actors to a certain degree.
Realllllly. So you think could've easily replaced Daniel Day Lewis is LINCOLN?

Old 05-15-2020, 09:45 PM

11,723 posts, read 11,173,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Realllllly. So you think could've easily replaced Daniel Day Lewis is LINCOLN?
Never saw it. But, probably not, because I'm far too handsome to play Lincoln.

Old 05-15-2020, 10:03 PM

2,169 posts, read 1,550,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
LA is fine and still a place of opportunity, but if I was 27 I'd be moving to Miami.
L.A. is a trillion dollar GDP economy whose ports exceed the revenue of all the ports of the state of Florida combined. Did I mention it has objectively perfect weather? I'd take L.A. in any life situation at any age.

Old 05-16-2020, 07:56 AM

17 posts, read 5,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
I think right now is a bad time to move just about anywhere, at least for people under your circumstances (quality of life improvement, new opportunities, etc.) There are a lot of trite things you see surfacing in the media ad nauseam. "We're all in this together" makes me cringe, simply because it's not true. But one thing I would take with a grain of salt is all the gloom and doom speculation about what life will be like on the other side of this thing. Businesses that are much slower to return to normal and those not coming back at all aside, always keep in mind that Americans tend to have very short memories. When this is over, I'd expect people to slack off from their current precautions and things will eventually be more relaxed. I lived in East Asia at the end of the SARS outbreak in the early 2000s, and spent time in Hong Kong then too; you would never have guessed that only months earlier they had that disease. To be frank, it sickens me that someone is actually getting paid to capitalize on fear and write sensationalized stories about life after this when millions of people with jobs that make better contributions to society are out of work now.

Even though this very second isn't a good time to make an actual move, you could always start making tangible plans. You will at least have a "home address" here you can use on a resume and applications if you want to try your luck on a job search now, and explain in your cover letter that you'll be relocating (you may want to leave it somewhere between specific and vague, as in "by the end of this summer"). That's what I did, and though it wasn't easy, I still got interviews and it eventually worked. However, I was living in Phoenix, so in contrast to you it was far easier for me to get to LA on a moment's notice because it's a fairly short distance. This could also be a good time for you to talk to your friend here and make arrangements if you want to try again when things start healing.
I flew back from Macau last weekend to the States. I got on the first flight out of Macau to Korea. Anyways, things are already returning to normal minus the tourists. Everyday, I was noticing more and more people exercising, walking around, or even shopping without a mask. It’s even more normal in the mainland except for the QR codes for health scan (if you wanna travel around you need one).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles