U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 11:10 AM

313 posts, read 82,446 times

Advertisements

hell everyone's leaving in droves and you wanna move here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 01:50 PM

1,596 posts, read 1,673,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcaramel View Post
A friend of mine lives in North Hollywood and asked if I was interested in getting a place with him since his lease is up in July, I had always wanted to live in either NYC or LA and thought seriously about making a move to one or the other this summer.

I’m 27 and the late-20s anxiety is getting to me and I can’t shake this feeling that I don’t have much more time to get the ball rolling on accomplishing something big (either starting a business or hell even making some kind of a run at acting).

However with the coronavirus pandemic and everything being shut down, I have to wonder if there’s really even any point in relocating to either city now, especially with the reduction in crowds, no bars/restaurants open, no public transport etc, it seems like alot of the benefits of either city are disappearing, at least until a vaccine becomes widely available.

I had even considered a Chicago move up until now. I just want a major relevant city with things to do and good food.

Any advice?
Unless you have about $50k in savings and a job lined up before you move to California, moving here now is a ridiculous fantasy. California has been hit hard by Covid-19. People living the life and working in dream jobs are collecting unemployment, and the lucky ones that were furloughed, have their fingers crossed that they aren't eventually laid off. The job market will be much more competitive when things get back to "normal", and that new normal is at least 2 years down the road.

Stay where you are and make the most of it until the time is right and smart to move when you have the money and promising job leads.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:20 AM

149 posts, read 302,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
L.A. is a trillion dollar GDP economy whose ports exceed the revenue of all the ports of the state of Florida combined. Did I mention it has objectively perfect weather? I'd take L.A. in any life situation at any age.
OoooOoOooooo LOL you mean all the foreign investor companies making tons of $ off us that doesnt hire Americans hahah4

Would you take LA when the supply chains get logistically screwed and there is a water drought?

I have fam in LA and just visited for the 3 times in January before pandemic lockdown. Put 600 miles on my rental in about 10 days and went all over. Decided against ever wanting to LIVE in LA.

Old 05-23-2020, 08:03 PM

151 posts, read 66,901 times
If you're trying to act and you're in your twenties with no attachments plus you say you're friend can get a spot for you to live at I'd say make the move. Hopefully LA will be back open hopefully at the end of the summer. You should also get some good leads on employment here in LA before you move as well. But on the other end California is not that business friendly if you want to start a business here. But you're in your twenties you say, this is the best time to do it.

Old 05-24-2020, 11:01 PM

394 posts, read 255,813 times
due to lockdown, Los Angeles reminds me of living in a retirement village

That's what it feels like. Acts like.

I'm starting to feel old

I think everyone is

Old 05-24-2020, 11:03 PM

394 posts, read 255,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I moved from LA to NY 50 years ago. Without connections or money LA had no opportunities for me. NYC had lots of opportunities for an ambitious hard working person. I always considered LA a sort of Fantasyland. My west coast relatives and friends never progressed from where they were when I left. They have basically stood still for the past 50 years.
that's how it is for everyone

I can name a dozen New Yorkers in L.A. who say the same thing about their people back home

that's human nature

Old 05-25-2020, 06:28 PM

313 posts, read 82,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csonka View Post
that's how it is for everyone

I can name a dozen New Yorkers in L.A. who say the same thing about their people back home

that's human nature
i agree. but why jump from one fire into another LOL. lemme guess it's the weatha

Old 05-25-2020, 08:53 PM

180 posts, read 72,542 times
You probably won't end up homeless if you move to LA. If you have a car and are willing to commute a very long distance to your minimum wage job (which is $14.25 as of now) you should at least be able to survive. Maybe a couple years down the road when you're more settled into life you can start more seriously pursuing your passions and career.

I lived there for three years and moved there with NO work experience and I ended up pretty OK. I had a college degree so I was able to get into a secretarial job making $18/hour (with a $2 raise after a year). It's not hard at all to survive in LA, but it's very hard to thrive.

Last edited by mistermaggie; 05-25-2020 at 09:03 PM..

Old 05-26-2020, 06:37 AM

18,431 posts, read 16,956,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I always considered LA a sort of Fantasyland. My west coast relatives and friends never progressed from where they were when I left. They have basically stood still for the past 50 years.
How sad.

Old 05-26-2020, 04:55 PM

43 posts, read 8,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxmfan2018 View Post
hell everyone's leaving in droves and you wanna move here

"droves" seems to be a word I see repeated a lot in all of these pages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles