Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2020, 08:07 PM

48 posts, read 40,254 times

Advertisements

Well, according to the L.A. Times and various other reports, community pools are reopening in Los Angeles this weekend, and gyms and bars will be reopening shortly next week, with appropriate sanitation and social distancing measures in place. Workplaces could be reopening by next month. "Liberation Day" 2020 is on its way in Southern California. There is finally light at the end of the tunnel, and better days are ahead.

How are all of you reflecting and digesting this deep, unprecedented period in the Golden State's history? Tens of thousands of jobs were lost due to layoffs and furloughs, and it may take months if not years for the Los Angeles economy to fully recover. What structural changes lie ahead for society in Southern California?

Having moved out here just 13 months ago myself for a new job, I feel this has been one of the most profound periods in history to have lived in Los Angeles. I am extremely humbled by the activation and groundswell of action that has taken place in this city over the past three months.

My eyes have been opened to the immense opportunity that exists in LA, and I have never been more motivated to be a source of positivity and inspiration to those around me, and to make the most of the days, months, and years ahead in California. We live a blessed life living here.

I want this thread to be a open space for you to speak your mind about what has just happened to us. What has changed you? What has affirmed your life here in Southern California? What has made you grow during this extremely challenging time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 08:21 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
What has just happened to us everybody willingly gave up their freedom and liberty wholesale. We can forget the Land of the Free and Home of the Brave.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:37 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,376,131 times
My experience is polar opposite of yours. I use to volunteer feeding the homeless and mentoring at risk youth every week. The last 3 years my attitude has changed. These same people that I've tried to help call me a racist now. I got tired of hearing that so cut off all resources that I use to happily share.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:06 AM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville_Native View Post
... gyms and bars will be reopening shortly next week ...
I'll believe it when I see it. And if it ultimately does transpire, that the gym is opening up, I'll be camping in the parking lot, the night before, to maximize the odds of garnering a spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville_Native View Post
What has changed you? What has affirmed your life here in Southern California? What has made you grow during this extremely challenging time?
"Grow"? My political orientation has changed completely. I've transitioned from being a Rockefeller Republican (Democrat by Midwestern standards, which is the locale from which I relocated), to an unabashedly extremist right-winger. On this very site, in the Politics Forum, the posters at whom I'd have vituperatively scoffed only 3 months ago, are now my closest compatriots.

On a positive note, I continue to respect Los Angeles for its economic dynamism and opportunity. But now it's merely a place to make money, as opposed to a cultural milieu whose identity I share.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:59 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
What has just happened to us everybody willingly gave up their freedom and liberty wholesale. We can forget the Land of the Free and Home of the Brave.
Not really -- plenty of people disregarded the lockdown and mask rules around me, and I never saw anybody taken away in handcuffs.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:16 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Thank God the MAJORITY of Californians are mature enough to understand what a pandemic is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: