Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 12:09 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,655,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Right now everywhere is deader than dead. Plus you have the idiotic mayor of LA saying today that the city will not reopen until there’s a vaccine.
Somebody needs to ask him, if we're still on lockdown, who cut his hair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 12:15 AM

51 posts, read 31,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Yeah but he, like Lightfoot in Chicago, “needs to look good.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/...break-n1181546

Old 05-14-2020, 06:07 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
It’s always do as I say, not as I do with these guys.

Old 05-14-2020, 06:30 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,547,571 times
Please don't move here. You'll be broke and unemployed in no time. It's very expensive to live here and with so many people out of work, getting a job will be next to impossible unless you have a specific skill set that would be useful in these times. It's certainly not the time to be trying to act (I don't know of any productions that haven't been shut down due to COVID-19), because you can't fall back on a service job to get you through this. Even as things begin to open up, there will be so many restaurants and businesses that didn't survive, you'd be in direct competition with people who are skilled waiters, cooks, etc. It's going to take a long time for our local economy to recover and to be quite honest, we don't need one more person becoming homeless.

In regards to Chicago, do you know anyone who lives there? You'd probably end up in the same situation, just in worse weather. Chicago is less expensive than here, of course, but you need a skill, something to make a potential employer want to hire you even though everything is so uncertain.

I wish you the best of luck, and I'm glad that you came here to ask us first. I hope you'll listen to what we're all saying; so many people have moved to L.A. only to get stuck and see their money run out. And they didn't move here during a pandemic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcaramel View Post
A friend of mine lives in North Hollywood and asked if I was interested in getting a place with him since his lease is up in July, I had always wanted to live in either NYC or LA and thought seriously about making a move to one or the other this summer.

I’m 27 and the late-20s anxiety is getting to me and I can’t shake this feeling that I don’t have much more time to get the ball rolling on accomplishing something big (either starting a business or hell even making some kind of a run at acting).

However with the coronavirus pandemic and everything being shut down, I have to wonder if there’s really even any point in relocating to either city now, especially with the reduction in crowds, no bars/restaurants open, no public transport etc, it seems like alot of the benefits of either city are disappearing, at least until a vaccine becomes widely available.

I had even considered a Chicago move up until now. I just want a major relevant city with things to do and good food.

Any advice?

Old 05-14-2020, 10:47 AM

8 posts, read 9,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Please don't move here. You'll be broke and unemployed in no time. It's very expensive to live here and with so many people out of work, getting a job will be next to impossible unless you have a specific skill set that would be useful in these times. It's certainly not the time to be trying to act (I don't know of any productions that haven't been shut down due to COVID-19), because you can't fall back on a service job to get you through this. Even as things begin to open up, there will be so many restaurants and businesses that didn't survive, you'd be in direct competition with people who are skilled waiters, cooks, etc. It's going to take a long time for our local economy to recover and to be quite honest, we don't need one more person becoming homeless.

In regards to Chicago, do you know anyone who lives there? You'd probably end up in the same situation, just in worse weather. Chicago is less expensive than here, of course, but you need a skill, something to make a potential employer want to hire you even though everything is so uncertain.

I wish you the best of luck, and I'm glad that you came here to ask us first. I hope you'll listen to what we're all saying; so many people have moved to L.A. only to get stuck and see their money run out. And they didn't move here during a pandemic!
I owned and operated an ecommerce business a few years back which was ok for a while then floundered...so I have all the skills that come along with that such as marketing, cold calling, cash management, etc.

Although I’m not an expert in any one skill.

Old 05-14-2020, 03:32 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,636 times
Quote:
A friend of mine lives in North Hollywood and asked if I was interested in getting a place with him since his lease is up in July, I had always wanted to live in either NYC or LA and thought seriously about making a move to one or the other this summer.

I’m 27 and the late-20s anxiety is getting to me and I can’t shake this feeling that I don’t have much more time to get the ball rolling on accomplishing something big (either starting a business or hell even making some kind of a run at acting).

However with the coronavirus pandemic and everything being shut down, I have to wonder if there’s really even any point in relocating to either city now, especially with the reduction in crowds, no bars/restaurants open, no public transport etc, it seems like alot of the benefits of either city are disappearing, at least until a vaccine becomes widely available.

I had even considered a Chicago move up until now. I just want a major relevant city with things to do and good food.

Any advice?
I think right now is a bad time to move just about anywhere, at least for people under your circumstances (quality of life improvement, new opportunities, etc.) There are a lot of trite things you see surfacing in the media ad nauseam. "We're all in this together" makes me cringe, simply because it's not true. But one thing I would take with a grain of salt is all the gloom and doom speculation about what life will be like on the other side of this thing. Businesses that are much slower to return to normal and those not coming back at all aside, always keep in mind that Americans tend to have very short memories. When this is over, I'd expect people to slack off from their current precautions and things will eventually be more relaxed. I lived in East Asia at the end of the SARS outbreak in the early 2000s, and spent time in Hong Kong then too; you would never have guessed that only months earlier they had that disease. To be frank, it sickens me that someone is actually getting paid to capitalize on fear and write sensationalized stories about life after this when millions of people with jobs that make better contributions to society are out of work now.

Even though this very second isn't a good time to make an actual move, you could always start making tangible plans. You will at least have a "home address" here you can use on a resume and applications if you want to try your luck on a job search now, and explain in your cover letter that you'll be relocating (you may want to leave it somewhere between specific and vague, as in "by the end of this summer"). That's what I did, and though it wasn't easy, I still got interviews and it eventually worked. However, I was living in Phoenix, so in contrast to you it was far easier for me to get to LA on a moment's notice because it's a fairly short distance. This could also be a good time for you to talk to your friend here and make arrangements if you want to try again when things start healing.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:07 PM

59 posts, read 92,615 times
Quote:
So essentially I should stay put for now and plan for a move sometime down the road when this resolves is what you’re all saying?
What kind of business do you want to start? CA is a big state. Some areas are more impacted than others. I'm in Ventura County, which neighbors LA county to the northwest - we're shut down but not nearly as bad COVID-wise. Economy is tough though - Patagonia is based here and had a major layoff.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:08 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,510,276 times
Quote:
So essentially I should stay put for now and plan for a move sometime down the road when this resolves is what you’re all saying?
Yes that would probably be the best solution at this time. Stay Put. Your young at 27 a few months or even a year isn't the end of the world.

Things are far to unsettled right now. No one has experience with what is going on. We don't know who to trust or provide us with accurate truthful info.

So what you can be sure of is this. Moving to a new city with no job is difficult In good times. My guess is unemployment is going to keep rising substantially. With this virus going on unless you have substantial income savings. I would not move to Calif or anyplace at this time. None of us know how long this virus is going to shut things down. Stay where you are for now. It's the safest most practical thing to do right now.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:40 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,928,915 times
Do you like paying among the highest rates in the entire nation for gas? Electricity? Housing? Do you like air pollution? If so come on down, we have a tent on skid row just for you.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:53 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,299,218 times
Quote:
LA is fine and still a place of opportunity, but if I was 27 I'd be moving to Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles