Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2020, 10:44 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,879,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
You are borderline hysterical without a solid factual backing for it.
Bars evidently spread the virus easily, if that's what you mean. I don't think there are studies, but there have been high-profile reports and it's not hard to understand why that's a high-risk environment.

Quote:
First off, anyone in LA County that wants to be tested can be. It’s been that way for a month or more.
Doesn't mean it's convenient for nearly everyone, and government isn't providing incentives for people to be tested. I've said before that testing should be brought to neighborhoods.

Quote:
Now the fact is that the shutdown was only to keep hospitals from being overwhelmed.

It wasn’t explicitly stated, but there’s no actual way to prevent people from becoming infected. Literally shutting down everything and quarantining people indefinitely won’t end the spread of Covid 19. So get used to the idea that you are likely to eventually get Covid 19 and you most likely won’t even know it.

So we are where we are right now. Keep in mind that grocery stores, ware houses, food and goods manufacturing, police, fire, hospitals, and probably a ton of other stuff, have been operating this entire time. Yet most of those didn’t shut down from a rash of infections. Because most of the time it doesn’t just spread like wildfire.
It's likely many cases have originated from grocery shopping, which didn't need to happen, even though that and other categories of businesses needed to remain open. Furthermore, I didn't say everything else should have stayed closed into this month, which would be "hysterical." However, there is no justification to shrug and let cases multiply. That is contrary to public health, which is one of government's most important functions. My educated guess is that 50% of adults are at tangible risk of harmful symptoms from COVID-19.

Old 06-23-2020, 11:28 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,627,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
They remained open because they happened to be essential businesses.
Ok. Yes.

However not a counter to the point I was attempting to make which is that it’s positive proof that most workplaces can open without too much concern.

Exception being food processing facilities, who probably have to be extra careful about distancing, cleaning, and other things too probably.

Old 06-23-2020, 11:45 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,627,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Bars evidently spread the virus easily, if that's what you mean. I don't think there are studies, but there have been high-profile reports and it's not hard to understand why that's a high-risk environment.

Doesn't mean it's convenient for nearly everyone, and government isn't providing incentives for people to be tested. I've said before that testing should be brought to neighborhoods. 9.
C’mon now, until we have a home test this is not going to happen.

Quote:

It's likely many cases have originated from grocery shopping, which didn't need to happen, even though that and other categories of businesses needed to remain open. Furthermore, I didn't say everything else should have stayed closed into this month, which would be "hysterical." However, there is no justification to shrug and let cases multiply. That is contrary to public health, which is one of government's most important functions. My educated guess is that 50% of adults are at tangible risk of harmful symptoms from COVID-19.
Im not arguing against reasonable measures like social distancing, masks, etc nor am I arguing that people with elevated risk conditions should continue to quarantine. However, keeping things shut down doesn’t appear to hold much benefit overall for society. I am pretty sure that we don’t get through this until the majority of the population has had it.

Old 06-23-2020, 12:05 PM

13,649 posts, read 9,708,585 times
Quote:
Your educated guess may be right. But my guess, educated or otherwise, is that 100% of adults and non-adults are at tangible risk of harm from aggressive public response to the virus. Exhibit A is kids who aren't allowed to go to school. Or even to use the local playgrounds.

And yes, propitiating the public health, is an important function of government. But sometimes one important goal or function impedes others. It's important for students to study, and to get adequate sleep. There comes a point, on the night before an exam, where it's better to just cease preparation and to get some sleep.... a vigorous and alert test-taker would do better, than a bedraggled one, who's better-prepared. So too with the government response. Of course lives shouldn't be dismissively thrown away. But quality of life matters too. As does the supposedly abstract principle of individual rights and liberties. These things can't be ignored wholesale, in the quest to maximally save lives.

Old 06-23-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
C’mon now, until we have a home test this is not going to happen.
Why not? Why is it so hard to deploy an repurposed ambulance or something to bring tests to communities where the transmission rate is high? Furthermore, there's no reason for LA County not to do an information campaign that it's illegal to fire someone for becoming infected and that affordable food delivery can be arranged for someone quarantined.

Quote:
Im not arguing against reasonable measures like social distancing, masks, etc nor am I arguing that people with elevated risk conditions should continue to quarantine. However, keeping things shut down doesn’t appear to hold much benefit overall for society. I am pretty sure that we don’t get through this until the majority of the population has had it.
If local government were good, it would be rapidly detecting and isolating individuals with COVID-19. That way, the spread would be so slow that an effective treatment or vaccine would be available before most people catch it. If San Diego and San Francisco can control it, why are we accepting this turd of a situation?

Old 06-23-2020, 01:05 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Yes, although I don't know how they're tracking this.

Bars, Strip Clubs and Churches: U.S. Virus Outbreaks Enter Unwieldy Phase

For months, clusters often centered in nursing homes, prisons and food processing plants. With Americans venturing into public more, new types of outbreaks are emerging:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/22/u...1e2efa523fa62a

Quote:
I've said before that testing should be brought to neighborhoods.
From what I've heard from a few people who've tried to get a test, it's not that easy to find a place to get one. There's a several day wait, or it's very expensive, or it's a long distance away.

Old 06-23-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Yes, although I don't know how they're tracking this.

Bars, Strip Clubs and Churches: U.S. Virus Outbreaks Enter Unwieldy Phase

For months, clusters often centered in nursing homes, prisons and food processing plants. With Americans venturing into public more, new types of outbreaks are emerging:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/22/u...1e2efa523fa62a
It will be hard to shut down churches again. Fortunately, LA is not a church-going place.

Quote:
From what I've heard from a few people who've tried to get a test, it's not that easy to find a place to get one. There's a several day wait, or it's very expensive, or it's a long distance away.
Tests are free. The goal should be to have tests available within a 15-minute drive of where anyone lives, unless the area has a very small population. I'm talking more sensibly about this than the government officials on TV. Nobody should be satisfied with the job they're doing.

Old 06-23-2020, 02:18 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Tests are free.
My neighbor paid $125 for a test because she didn't want to wait for an opening for one of the free tests (or so she said).

Old 06-23-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
My neighbor paid $125 for a test because she didn't want to wait for an opening for one of the free tests (or so she said).
How long ago was that, and why would someone need a test within a day unless it's, for example, pre-surgical?

Old 06-23-2020, 04:00 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
How long ago was that, and why would someone need a test within a day unless it's, for example, pre-surgical?
Fear
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles