U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2020, 12:00 PM

6,425 posts, read 4,220,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
“If you’re still out there shopping for your loved ones for this holiday season ... then you are missing the gravity of the situation that is affecting hospitals across L.A. County,” said L.A. County health services director Dr. Christina on Monday. “Though they may seem benign, these actions are extremely high-risk.”

COVID-19 surges at L.A. County shopping malls as holiday customers pack stores:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...liday-shopping
She works for the same local government that is allowing that to happen. Maybe she should put her money where her mouth is and call out the mayor, threaten to resign, etc. So many gutless people out there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2020, 12:11 PM

25,056 posts, read 23,233,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
She works for the same local government that is allowing that to happen. Maybe she should put her money where her mouth is and call out the mayor, threaten to resign, etc. So many gutless people out there.
Here's why. (These people can't win, no matter what they do.)

People gather outside of L.A. County health director’s home in protest of COVID-19 restrictions:
https://ktla.com/news/local-news/pro...s-take-effect/

The "gutless people out there" are the ones not following the mandates.

Old 12-23-2020, 12:23 PM

Please. Selfishness and stupidity aren't the same as gutlessness. People can be morons and gutsy. Being scared of obnoxious but peaceful protesters as a public official, even as a woman (meaning typical physical fighting ability), is a failure on a public official's part. None of you know much about me and I assure you gang-bangers and other types scare me, but can you imagine me being bullied out of doing a high-ranking job the way I want? How I am some exceptional individual locally/on the forum re this issue?

Old 12-23-2020, 12:40 PM

13,402 posts, read 14,079,439 times
Quote:
“If you’re still out there shopping for your loved ones for this holiday season ... then you are missing the gravity of the situation that is affecting hospitals across L.A. County,” said L.A. County health services director Dr. Christina Ghaly on Monday. “Though they may seem benign, these actions are extremely high-risk.”

COVID-19 surges at L.A. County shopping malls as holiday customers pack stores:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...liday-shopping
A couple days ago I picked up a few items I had ordered online from Best Buy. There were just a couple of people ahead of me in line to pick up their online orders, but I couldn't believe the separate, longer line for people to enter the store to browse. Hello, McFly(s)? Get a freakin' clue...

Old 12-23-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Being scared of obnoxious but peaceful protesters as a public official, even as a woman (meaning typical physical fighting ability), is a failure on a public official's part
Who said anything about being "scared"? I'm sure that none of us has any idea what it would be like to have protesters--some with bull horns--outside our home, day after day, simply because of a health mandate.

An how about having to deal with a death threat? Consider Orange County's chief health officer, who resigned in June after what she endured from the anti-maskers.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...face-coverings

Old 12-23-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Who said anything about being "scared"? I'm sure that none of us has any idea what it would be like to have protesters--some with bull horns--outside our home, day after day, simply because of a health mandate.
If not "scared," then what's your point? Either someone is tough enough to do the job or not. I'm sure I wouldn't like that; but I also know I wouldn't tolerate that for long - first of all, bull horns therein are illegal, I know from the Block Garcetti protests - and I would do almost anything - including direct confrontation and garden hoses - to get those people the heck away from my home. Also, I don't know if she or anyone else even is home most of the day.

Quote:
An how about having to deal with a death threat? Consider Orange County's chief health officer, who resigned in June after what she endured from the anti-maskers.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...face-coverings
That's different and beyond the scope of the specifics I wrote. It's also not a likely scenario in Los Angeles.

Old 12-23-2020, 08:44 PM

Mayor Garcetti was on NBC LA telling people to avoid malls. Isn't he the mayor? Doesn't he work with other local authorities? If that's what he wants, close the malls.

By the way, I think it was also NBC that reported at least one outbreak in a mall, in an Apple store, so the risk is not just fearful imagination.

Old 12-24-2020, 08:32 AM

"Over the past seven days, there were about 1,800 cases of COVID-19 for every 100,000 residents in San Bernardino County. By contrast, hard-hit Los Angeles County reported about 1,000 cases per 100,000 residents during that period.

Experts and public health officials said there are several factors that have made San Bernardino County so vulnerable to COVID-19....

But San Bernardino County has also been more resistant to state mandates than L.A., with officials clashing with Gov. Gavin Newsom over the latest stay-at-home order."

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...e-restrictions

Old 12-24-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
"Over the past seven days, there were about 1,800 cases of COVID-19 for every 100,000 residents in San Bernardino County. By contrast, hard-hit Los Angeles County reported about 1,000 cases per 100,000 residents during that period.

Experts and public health officials said there are several factors that have made San Bernardino County so vulnerable to COVID-19....

But San Bernardino County has also been more resistant to state mandates than L.A., with officials clashing with Gov. Gavin Newsom over the latest stay-at-home order."

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...e-restrictions
According to one website, San Bernadino County is more than 50% Latino. Again, that community's reckless attitude toward the virus must be a big part of it.

Old 12-25-2020, 06:20 AM

5,829 posts, read 3,128,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
And then there are people like us. People who have been living by the rules since last March, and we're like, "WTF is the matter with all you cheaters? We would have possibly been out of this mess a long time ago if it wasn't for you people!"

Every day I'm becoming more like Michael Douglas' character from the film Falling Down.
Many of us in LA were feeling like that pre-covid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles