Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2020, 10:18 AM

2,540 posts, read 1,032,845 times

Advertisements

Population density in certain parts of L.A. I think the suburbs have been far less hit. Let’s see if there’s sudden spike in hospitalizations stemming from the protest crowds. If not, the virus may be losing its potency.

Old 06-04-2020, 10:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
Who knows.
I think it is because LA County is the most populated county at 10 million out of 40 million statewide.
Because so many people live in LA County, with high latino populations (which account for a large majority of positive casesby race), it will have high statistics.
LA County also tests a lot of people weekly about 100,000 tests a week (15K a day) for 10 million. OC and SD do less testing (1000/million) than LA County about 1500/million . I guess it isn't that significant.

It could also be LA has a higher poverty rate and thus higher exposure in certain communities than others. An example is people who take the bus versus a car. Who is more likely to catch the virus and infect their family/neighborhood? The highest rates of infection are east of the 110 freeway or in the central and northeaster San Fernando Valley and also San Pedro. These aren't affluent areas with lots of money to just do zoom conference calls or just stay home. Many have to do essential jobs and just use public transportation and live in crowded living conditions. Just more likely to get exposure than other people who can just stay home and drive around in their car.

These are my main conclusions. I can't find an article that explains why LA County gets it worse than others.
I think you probably just about nailed it. Of course the higher the population the higher the number o cases and L.A. county is one huge county.

Add to that poverty and crowded living conditions. All this leads to more spread of any disease.

Even in our little state, the region we live in has a problem but it is mainly due to more testing, and the poultry houses and the % of people with Latin sur
names, not to mention the Marshall population.

We happen to be the region with the most money, but we also have pockets of the area that are very poor and some with several families living under one roof.

Old 06-04-2020, 11:53 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Officials reported Tuesday an additional 60 deaths and 1,202 new cases. More than 57,000 people have been infected by the virus in L.A. County and 2,443 have died. Black communities have been hit especially hard, a reality that Los Angeles County Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer said Monday is tied to a system of unequal healthcare access that hurts marginalized communities.

...as crowds take to the streets and forego social distancing practices, it’s unclear if the virus will intensify its spread.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-testing-sites

Old 06-08-2020, 12:54 PM

The coronavirus transmission rate in Los Angeles County is climbing again as the economy reopens.

Officials said the increase in disease transmission largely reflected infections that occurred before the start of demonstrations protesting the death of George Floyd on May 25.

The incubation period for the coronavirus infection can generally last as long as two weeks.

Los Angeles County, the California hotbed of the virus with more than 2,600 deaths, has been gradually reopening its economy.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-rate-climbing

Old 06-09-2020, 01:41 AM

13,644 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussShackleford View Post
...A great man once said "woe to those who join house onto house, and who add field onto field, until there is no more room". ...
So, God (or just Isaiah?) hates condos?

Old 06-09-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Well, im going to go out on a limb here and guess its probably the same reason why every big city has more deaths than other places.
But if you bothered to look at the data, you'd find that your statement that "every big city has more deaths than other places" is false.

Old 06-09-2020, 02:29 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,373,059 times
Quote:
"Why so many covid 19 cases and deaths in LA County" Well, im going to go out on a limb here and guess its probably the same reason why every big city has more deaths than other places. I swear to God im so sick of listening to all these pc media scum constantly crowing about these "hotspots" and how we have to figure out whats causing this. Instead of just stating the obvious, that large cities are over crowded cesspools where everyone lives on top one another like rats. Clearly that's the main factor. A great man once said "woe to those who join house onto house, and who add field onto field, until there is no more room". But yeah yeah I know, f#@k that guy huh.
--------

Right on man I'm with you here. What a bunch of malarkey they've put us through.

on a side note do you have neighbors named boomhauer, hill and daughtrey?

Old 06-09-2020, 03:27 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
Los Angeles is a magnet for personality-disordered individuals.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/psychopat...173702699.html

Old 06-09-2020, 06:39 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
A lot of protesters and looters.

Old 06-09-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
If you would like to make far leaps and reaches to try and defend peoples decision to be urbanite yuppies, go right ahead. Im not going to waste my time explaining that living in close proximity has MANY downsides, one of which is quickly spreading a virus.
Re-read the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Proportionally, LA County has way more Covid 19 related cases and deaths. Please please please don’t bring up population as to why we have more cases and deaths. Per capita, we have disproportionally more than the other CA counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles