U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 04:48 PM

17,802 posts, read 22,323,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
No snappy response to your post ... because I’m not willing to read another chapter of your ‘War and Peace’ length screeds.

Thanks, the nicest most civil response you have ever given me. Such a rarity.
Rate this post positively

Old 05-24-2020, 05:35 PM

297 posts, read 228,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
The federal government has no business poking its nose into what Los Angeles is doing (or trying to do). The problem is that you can't legislate people's behavior. Ventura County restaurants are now open for dine-in service; I'm sure some L.A. County residents will be crossing the county line to go to dinner this weekend. I just hope people are as cautious as possible (face masks and social distancing), but we'll see how the numbers look in two or three weeks.
Last time I looked, Los Angeles is in the United States.

Old 05-24-2020, 05:44 PM

17,443 posts, read 9,753,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Thanks, the nicest most civil response you have ever given me. Such a rarity.
And that’s your shortest post ever

Old 05-24-2020, 06:18 PM

2,717 posts, read 1,605,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
False equivalency to compare a global heath pandemic to racial injustice. Call us back when the social distancing measures are only applied to Blacks or Whites or Asian-Americans, etc.
States rights are states rights. The 10th Amendment makes no distinction. It clearly limited the federal government to its enumerated powers. The Left has rejected that for at least 80 or 90 years; now all of a sudden you are all States Righters.

Quote:
By its absence in the U.S. Constitution, public health has primarily been the responsibility of states for hundreds of years, meaning governors (and mayors) have the last word on most coronavirus issues. Anything not given to the federal government, as the 10th amendment says, belongs to the states, unless it is specifically prohibited.
I absolutely agree that the coronavirus response is a state and local responsibility so why has the Left, egged on by the media, been busting Trump's balls that he should have done something sooner?

Quote:
It was obviously a political ploy....Dreiband has made a law career of working for large corporations fighting against discrimination suits. And we are all of sudden to believe he is concerned with the rights of the "little" people in Los Angeles? Come on....
Apparently you are not aware of Asst AG Dreiband's work at the EEOC, defending the rights of African Americans and women. Who he represented as a private litigator is irrelevant. You defend your client's interests whether you agree with them or not.

Old 05-24-2020, 06:53 PM

37,265 posts, read 17,305,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Apparently you are not aware of Asst AG Dreiband's work at the EEOC, defending the rights of African Americans and women. Who he represented as a private litigator is irrelevant. You defend your client's interests whether you agree with them or not.
Where'd you get that? He was a trainwreck at EEOC, he worked to allow discrimination on the basis of sex and age. He has sought to narrow the scope of Title VII and other anti-discrimination laws – the ones he would be responsible for enforcing as head of the Civil Rights Division. The NAACP opposed his confirmation.

Old 05-24-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I don't care if this Dreiband character built his career by defending Big Tobacco, mafiosi, klansmen, or aging concentration-camp guards. Emergencies make for strange bedfellows, and in the present emergency, any ally is a good ally.
How is he an ally, by being Trump's sock puppet and falsely claiming that States might be breaking the law and discriminating against Churches? What a joke! The 9th Circuit just upheld California's ban on in person church services so chew on that for awhile. https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/23/us/ca...ces/index.html

Old 05-24-2020, 07:39 PM

10,160 posts, read 6,178,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
How is he an ally, by being Trump's sock puppet and falsely claiming that States might be breaking the law and discriminating against Churches? What a joke! The 9th Circuit just upheld California's ban on in person church services so chew on that for awhile. https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/23/us/ca...ces/index.html
I am not a Christian, and have no interest in attending religious services. But persons who do have such interest, and those who support them - even if idle and self-serving demagogues - are now allies, in the quest to conclude with all possible celerity, this brutal shutdown.

I do not have children, but now find allies among parents, who would need childcare if they're ever to return to work, or who lament that their kids are being cheated of an education by being relegated to schooling-by-zoom.

I feel no personal warmth for Trump, but if that's the figure who "leads" (however superficially) the anti-quarantard movement, then I'll gladly accept Trump as an ally.

However we can break the Garcetti/Newsom logjam, be it by AR-15 toting fanatics massed on the steps of City Hall, or carnival-barkers hawking their latest swindle, I gladly welcome them all, as allies.

Old 05-24-2020, 07:59 PM

2,717 posts, read 1,605,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Where'd you get that? He was a trainwreck at EEOC,.
Ha ha, oh please CivilRights.org? They are nothing more than just another Democrat/Progressive outlet. They don't believe in equal rights, they believe in special rights.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Ha ha, oh please CivilRights.org? They are nothing more than just another Democrat/Progressive outlet. They don't believe in equal rights, they believe in special rights.
Then prove what they said was wrong. You can't go through life crying foul because you don't like the source of information, the fact is that Mr. Dreiband is not a nice guy, his entire career has been dedicated to helping corporations fight the little guy and now he's Trump's 'boy' who gets sent out to say silly things to state officials.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:18 PM

11,895 posts, read 11,334,935 times
So how about that Coca Cola 600? Alex Bowman is in the lead now after the rain delay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or