U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 10:08 PM

3,981 posts, read 2,165,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
States rights are states rights. The 10th Amendment makes no distinction. It clearly limited the federal government to its enumerated powers. The Left has rejected that for at least 80 or 90 years; now all of a sudden you are all States Righters.
So anybody that disagrees with you is a leftist? I am not a leftist...I am a pragmatic moderate. I am not a fan of ideologues of any stripe.

There has been a tug of war going on regarding states rights for a long time and there is plenty of hypocrisy/double standards from both sides of the political spectrum. C-19 is merely the latest chapter in that saga.

Given how vast and varied the United States is, it makes sense that state's prevail in many coronavirus policy decisions. A one-size-fits-all national policy is on many questions an imprecise tool to fight a pandemic.

Quote:

I absolutely agree that the coronavirus response is a state and local responsibility so why has the Left, egged on by the media, been busting Trump's balls that he should have done something sooner?.
To put it politely, let's just say that the national government has not handled the pandemic very efficiently or with a steady, clear and centralized voice. Even a state rights partisan like Thomas Jefferson would agree that the national government needs a clear, rational, consistent, scientifically based national messaging.

There was a massive failure at the onset by the federal gov. to get testing launched at a scale that makes a difference.

The inefficiency and inaction by the federal gov in the procurement of medical equipment was another issue. This brought about enormous confusion and inefficiency to the procurement process and forced states to engage in bidding wars.

While the worst of it appears behind us....a better and more efficient federal coordination would have helped to keep the price down and to prevent rivalry between states.

At least since the Great Depression and World War II, Americans have counted on the national government to step up in times of monumental crisis. No reasonable person would have expected Louisiana to handle the Hurricane Katrina catastrophe by itself.
Rate this post positively

Old 05-24-2020, 10:48 PM

485 posts, read 293,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
An election year ploy by Trump and his sycophant appointees in the Justice Department.
doesn't negate the fact that no mayor has the powers Garcetti thinks he has

Old 05-24-2020, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
The letter is one legal opinion, not an example of proven constitutional case law.

Emergency powers acts have been passed in both the federal government - and all 50 state governments, which state governments are authorized to adopt by the US constitutional 10th Amendment.

I’m not arguing in favor of shut downs as best policy to deal with this crisis. I’m pointing out that your conclusion of legal reality is fallacious.
SCOTUS will affirm the obvious

no mayor has the right to compel citizens to remain inside their homes indefinitely

not rocket science

Old 05-24-2020, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
False equivalency to compare a global heath pandemic to racial injustice. Call us back when the social distancing measures are only applied to Blacks or Whites or Asian-Americans, etc.

By its absence in the U.S. Constitution, public health has primarily been the responsibility of states for hundreds of years, meaning governors (and mayors) have the last word on most coronavirus issues. Anything not given to the federal government, as the 10th amendment says, belongs to the states, unless it is specifically prohibited.

It was obviously a political ploy....Dreiband has made a law career of working for large corporations fighting against discrimination suits. And we are all of sudden to believe he is concerned with the rights of the "little" people in Los Angeles? Come on....
then why was Obamarcare allowed to stand which is a federal mandate on the states?

Sorta blows your legal reasoning out the window, no?

Old 05-24-2020, 11:46 PM

17,039 posts, read 9,585,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csonka View Post
SCOTUS will affirm the obvious

no mayor has the right to compel citizens to remain inside their homes indefinitely

not rocket science
No citizens are being held indefinitely.

Old 05-25-2020, 12:00 AM

9,944 posts, read 6,069,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The "anti-quarntard" movement? Good God, you want to exercise your 'freedom', then go for a walk and kiss strangers, no one will stop you.
Somehow I doubt that such behavior would be warmly received. More to the point, I'd be violating "the law" if I so much as attempted to do chin-ups at the local public park. And imagine the horrendous and wanton disregard for public safety, if the local gym were to reopen!

My "exercise of freedom" is a just a tad bit circumscribed by the self-appointed mores and methods of current society, don't you think?

Quote:
...Church goers can can pray on zoom or meet in a parking lot and stay in their cars, I'm sure God doesn't care and all this crap about their rights being violated, I don't buy it I think the ministers just miss the money they pull in every week.
You're probably right. Religion is a business, and the curtailing of in-person church-attendance is bad for business. Once again, I feel little cultural or creedal kinship with churchgoers, but if they're going to be the vanguard of the anti-quarantard movement, then they have my sympathy, well-wishes and respect.

Old 05-25-2020, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
No citizens are being held indefinitely.
sure lol

where's the timeline? When is the exact date we can all go back out and do like we used to and not run afoul of the law for being outside?

Old 05-25-2020, 05:27 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,511,266 times
Quote:
Then prove what they said was wrong.
Here's one. There are many others, but I'm not going to spoon feed you when you only get your information from partisan hack organizations.

Old 05-25-2020, 08:35 AM

36,483 posts, read 16,969,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csonka View Post
doesn't negate the fact that no mayor has the powers Garcetti thinks he has
Be specific, you made the allegation, so let's see a list of the "powers" that you allege that he has.

Old 05-25-2020, 08:42 AM

36,483 posts, read 16,969,895 times
Quote:
Here's one. There are many others, but I'm not going to spoon feed you when you only get your information from partisan hack organizations.
How does that disprove anything in the link I provided? Wow, I must have really upset you, now you are spending Memorial Day weekend scouring Dreiband's record to find something good that he did?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or