Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 10:28 AM

2,353 posts, read 5,374,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csonka View Post
Ok, I live here. I get the texts every day

Tell me WHEN the orders are to be lifted

I want a specific date
They said "give us 2 weeks" back in March

Old 05-25-2020, 10:29 AM

545 posts, read 513,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
d

I live here too (City of Los Angeles).

I'll admit the messaging on this has not been the greatest.

But you know as well as anyone that isn't the way a pandemic works.....the science/data/disease are fluid and a date for reopening will have to be flexible.
I get all that

But my point, or the thrust of my posts, was to point out that the mayor doesn't have the authority to do what he's doing. The main sticking point is the "indefinite" nature of it which, and I'm only a layman when it comes to the law, but that that wouldn't pass constitutional muster. My understanding of things is that every leader of a town, city, state, etc has emergency powers but that they are limited and require specific dates of implementation and a solid scientific basis for them

As an example, I was reading the some health official for Michigan I think overstepped her authority when she imposed orders on people that went beyond the 2-week incubation period for the virus. This was in their state constitution, so may be specific to that state, but the law was you can do this but it has to be confined to something hard and tangible like the incubation period

And I know that the DOJ has told Garcetti that what he's doing is getting out of hand

But we shall see

My concern at this point is that I am getting the sense that people are getting beat down in terms of their morale. If we were hoping for a quick rebound, people rushing out to get back to normal, I wonder if that will be the case. I think they have been kept "down" for too long and are losing a little bit of that spark

But anyway, howdy neighbor !

Old 05-25-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Fair enough. There has always been that tension...been there since the founding. Jefferson vs. Hamilton, etc.
Yep, the eternal tug of war inside America

Old 05-25-2020, 10:36 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
They said "give us 2 weeks" back in March
Do you agree we all know more now about the disease than “back in March”?

Old 05-25-2020, 10:41 AM

2,353 posts, read 5,374,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yes. We know it's not near as deadly and most of the information we were given was not accurate

Old 05-25-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
then they should say as much and quit making people feel like they are intentionally dragging it out, which is how it is starting to feel

And this is apolitical. I know even my most liberal friends are starting to lose it.

IOW our leaders are not leading but playing it by ear

they don't get paid to play it by ear

They get paid to be smarter than us and better informed and, as it turns out, we knew they were full of it early on when they were saying two weeks

If I know as much as them, there is no need for them

Old 05-25-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I get all that

But my point, or the thrust of my posts, was to point out that the mayor doesn't have the authority to do what he's doing. The main sticking point is the "indefinite" nature of it which, and I'm only a layman when it comes to the law, but that that wouldn't pass constitutional muster. My understanding of things is that every leader of a town, city, state, etc has emergency powers but that they are limited and require specific dates of implementation and a solid scientific basis for them

As an example, I was reading the some health official for Michigan I think overstepped her authority when she imposed orders on people that went beyond the 2-week incubation period for the virus. This was in their state constitution, so may be specific to that state, but the law was you can do this but it has to be confined to something hard and tangible like the incubation period

And I know that the DOJ has told Garcetti that what he's doing is getting out of hand

But we shall see

My concern at this point is that I am getting the sense that people are getting beat down in terms of their morale. If we were hoping for a quick rebound, people rushing out to get back to normal, I wonder if that will be the case. I think they have been kept "down" for too long and are losing a little bit of that spark

Governors and mayors DO have the authority to shut things down in emergencies. And timelines aren’t limited to dates and clocks but can be well justified by performances and criteria as well. Truth be told, performance Is a far more wise metric than a clock.

Here is local media reporting of LA reopening guidelines ... which show most criteria based on performance:
https://ktla.com/news/local-news/fro...-5-stage-plan/

There certainly is “solid scientific basis” for setting these conditions.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:45 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,393,640 times
Quote:
I get all that

But we shall see

I am also a layman but the last I heard was County officials were targeting a July 4th reopening assuming the data/science are in alignment. That isn't indefinite.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...us-cases-study

Old 05-25-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I'm not a child anymore. Maybe you should stop thinking like one
A good insult can be fun, eh? Problem is: such needs to be based on a specific example - or else the insult just appears, well, stupid. With this in mind, why don’t you give an example of where and how you feel I [think like a child] in regard to this topic / or my post you are referencing? Then we can discuss whether your insult has merit.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Yes. We know it's not near as deadly and most of the information we were given was not accurate
Pretty sure that doesn’t even begin to sum up what additional has been learned.

But taking the second half of your statement to consideration especially highlights the reason for the fluidity of decision-making. If “most of the information we were given was not accurate” then that would explain why the “two weeks” projection would also have been in question. Right?

Now, you might refer back to the first part of your statement to argue the position that: because the disease is “not near as deadly” it makes the whole shut down pointless and moot. The problem with that, though, is that every health authority disagrees with your assessment of CV19’s community impact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles