Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 07:43 AM

21,735 posts, read 16,341,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
Government does not have unlimited powers, even during a pandemic emergency.

https://ca-times.brightspotcdn.com/6...irector-ed.pdf
The letter is one legal opinion, not an example of proven constitutional case law.

Emergency powers acts have been passed in both the federal government - and all 50 state governments, which state governments are authorized to adopt by the US constitutional 10th Amendment.

I’m not arguing in favor of shut downs as best policy to deal with this crisis. I’m pointing out that your conclusion of legal reality is fallacious.

Old 05-24-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMinneapolis View Post

So should everyone whos had a cold or flu in public be charged for murder over the entire course of modern history knowing full well that a flu you pass along could kill someone?

Lets not forget the bills being passed currently: HR6666

lets not forget bill gates real Id smart vaccine patent WO2020060606
There certainly IS legal precedent for trying individuals for knowingly infecting others. And in cases of infection resulting in illness and / or death, yes, both various ‘bodily harm’ and murder charges and convictions have resulted in America and around the world. One example:
Quote:
Man jailed for life after deliberately infecting men with HIV
‘Predatory’ Daryll Rowe found guilty of grievous bodily harm after transmitting virus to five partners
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...g-men-with-hiv
The question in such charges and convictions is one of knowing intent. Premeditation and purpose.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Your distinction between “inconvenience” and “oppression” is to say the least creative. Likewise your criteria or what does or does not constitute legitimate exercise of authority. But most disturbing is your prioritization of what actually does matter significantly, and what matters only notionally, or rather doesn’t even matter at all. Fortunately for us, not all legal minds share your persuasions.
No. The distinction is legally defined fact. Same with “legitimate exercise of authority”. Read the 10th Amendment, and, if you wish, follow up by reading any number of Emergency Powers Acts passed by all 50 states based on the powers granted by the 10th Amendment.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Everywhere that I go in the Los Angeles area, I see a meek and compliant people; not rioters in the making. Driving around southern LA today, it was impossible to find an establishment that had a restroom open to the public; not a gas station, big-box stores or convenience stores... certainly not restaurants. Driving around, I found sidewalks empty, streets largely devoid of traffic, parking lots nearly deserted. Even the beaches - those redoubtable expanses of youthful exuberance and thumbing of the nose at "the man" - were sparse. Parking lots adjacent to the beaches are closed. Does that mean that curbside parking away from the beach is overflowing? Nope! Choice curbside spots, normally the stuff of fierce competition among drivers waiting to swoop-in, are there for the taking.

If the locals are truly fed-up, their grumbling is private and furtive. I don't see any groundswell of pent-up frustration. I only see a populace that cowers in fear, dutifully wears its masks, and does exactly as it's told.
Where you, a self-described nihilist, see “meek and compliant people” - others see a concerned and unified public majority willing to do what is best regarded by science as amelioration of dire threat to individuals and society.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:29 AM

202 posts, read 429,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
There certainly IS legal precedent for trying individuals for knowingly infecting others. And in cases of infection resulting in illness and / or death, yes, both various ‘bodily harm’ and murder charges and convictions have resulted in America and around the world. One example:

The question in such charges and convictions is one of knowing intent. Premeditation and purpose.

so why did they decriminalize knowingly giving HIV to people? in CALI of all places
https://www.cnn.com/2017/10/07/healt...ned/index.html

riddle me that bucko

Old 05-24-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
so why did they decriminalize knowingly giving HIV to people? in CALI of all places
https://www.cnn.com/2017/10/07/healt...ned/index.html
“They” didn’t. “They” being an all-inclusive category. California reduced the act to a misdemeanor.

Your post asked: “ So should everyone whos had a cold or flu in public be charged for murder over the entire course of modern history knowing full well that a flu you pass along could kill someone?

I responded, correctly, that there is certainly precedent for that. I didn’t argue a position.

Bucko.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:54 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,426,948 times
The media constantly non stop everyday for 2 months promoting the Chinese flu has everyone scared. I can't believe everyone so willingly gave up their liberties , freedom.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:56 AM

202 posts, read 429,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
“They” didn’t. “They” being an all-inclusive category. California reduced the act to a misdemeanor.

Your post asked: “ So should everyone whos had a cold or flu in public be charged for murder over the entire course of modern history knowing full well that a flu you pass along could kill someone?

I responded, correctly, that there is certainly precedent for that. I didn’t argue a position.

Bucko.

LOL its pretty obvious what your "position" is even if you arent outwardly stating it. Its quite easy to see where you stand. Nothing wrong with being a paniccel. Godbless.

Old 05-24-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
LOL its pretty obvious what your "position" is even if you arent outwardly stating it. Its quite easy to see where you stand. Nothing wrong with being a paniccel. Godbless.
Yeah. Uh, but no. It’s not a bit easy to see what my position is. So I’ll fill you in: I enjoy dissecting fallacious statements and rhetorical questions.

Old 05-24-2020, 09:44 AM

2,353 posts, read 5,374,930 times
This whole deal is fake news just like the Russia deal. Things that we were being told 3 months ago are constantly turning out to be wrong. Democrats will stop at nothing to win 2020
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles