U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 10:22 PM

191 posts, read 78,386 times

Advertisements

Eaton Canyon closed for the weekend because hordes of people showed up without masks and no social distancing.

https://abc7.com/eaton-canyon-hiking...rails/6209162/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2020, 09:42 AM

2,110 posts, read 1,411,576 times
So funny, that phrase was exactly what ran through my mind as I drove through Laguna Beach and past Crystal Cove this weekend.

Old 05-25-2020, 05:25 PM

191 posts, read 78,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
So funny, that phrase was exactly what ran through my mind as I drove through Laguna Beach and past Crystal Cove this weekend.
I was at top of the world on Saturday and there were people there but nothing crazy. I heard Blackstar Canyon was a complete disaster.

Last edited by volosong; 05-26-2020 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: explitive deleted

Old 05-25-2020, 07:04 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,790,653 times
What does the picture have to do with the title of the thread?
I thought you were gonna show some statistics about people's nice homes getting vandalized

Old 05-26-2020, 08:41 AM

149 posts, read 303,024 times
I dont think there is science supporting or backing up the requirement of masks in large open air outdoor locations with exposure to elements and sun etc.

Not saying its smart to be that packed near people out on the trail, however risk of exposure at a place like that and in those circumstance are at the extreme low end of the spectrum in comparison to being at your local walmart or work place.

Old 05-26-2020, 09:06 AM

18,441 posts, read 16,961,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMinneapolis View Post
I dont think there is science supporting or backing up the requirement of masks in large open air outdoor locations with exposure to elements and sun etc.
Because breathing harder may release more virus into the air, Ben Levine, physician and director of the Institute for Exercise and Environmental Medicine at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital, told NPR we should double our distance while exercising outside.

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/01/82514...-your-distance

Old 05-26-2020, 09:21 AM

8,745 posts, read 5,318,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Because breathing harder may release more virus into the air, Ben Levine, physician and director of the Institute for Exercise and Environmental Medicine at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital, told NPR we should double our distance while exercising outside.

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/01/82514...-your-distance
I would still want to see this backed up by evidence that people have contracted the virus by being outside near others who are exercising. One thing about passing or being passed by joggers etc. is that you are in close proximity for only a few seconds. Also, the large volume of air and wind dilutes and disperses any pathogens very quickly. It's not at all like being in a closed room for an extended time.

Not saying it couldn't happen, but it still seems highly unlikely that a person jogging past you is going to infect you, no matter how hard they are breathing. I looked at your link and even those "experts" admit they have no actual evidence or data, they are just speculating. And, I might add, erring very far on the side of caution. If I played tennis, I would certainly feel it unnecessary to wipe down the net with disinfectant wipes.

Last edited by saibot; 05-26-2020 at 09:34 AM..

Old 05-26-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
What does the picture have to do with the title of the thread?
I thought you were gonna show some statistics about people's nice homes getting vandalized
We can't have nice things (like leaving the house, going to the beach, restaurants etc) if people don't follow the guidelines for social distancing, wearing masks, etc.

Old 05-26-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
One thing about passing or being passed by joggers etc. is that you are in close proximity for only a few seconds..... still seems highly unlikely that a person jogging past you is going to infect you...
Do the peeps in the first picture look like they are jogging past anyone? A few seconds of exposure?

Old 05-26-2020, 02:03 PM

8,584 posts, read 10,286,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
I was at top of the world on Saturday and there were people there but nothing crazy. I heard Blackstar Canyon was a complete disaster.
This is why I like having weekdays off and not weekends. I was at Black Star Wednesday and it wasn't bad at all.

This is also why I normally go out of my way to get away from cities and into the wilderness areas when I can. I've yet to run into any crowds or closures in my favorite areas, thankfully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or