Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2020, 11:16 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
I think you are thinking Monday night. That is when the good samaritans in Van Nuys were almost arrested for trying to protect a store from looters.

https://www.foxla.com/news/good-sama...lleged-looters

What war memorial was vandalized? There have been false reports about vandalism to the LA/Venice Vietnam War Memorial but that occurred four years ago.
No, I'm no referring to that. There was looting and vandalism.

I don't know which war memorials specifically. I'll repost here the next time a story comes up in my newsfeed,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 12:25 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,394,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I missed your post earlier. I’m not sure the looting is over. I heard on the radio the fairfax district got hit again, but they may have been talking about last week. If it has stopped, I wonder if it’s because of the presence of the National Guard.

In San Diego, the same thing happened. Looting going on and once the National Guard showed up, it stopped.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lat...yd%3f_amp=true
Actually, the national guard is pulling out of Los Angeles today or tomorrow as was reported in the LA Times this morning.

The mass looting was over with by Monday night (June 1). Other than a few minor incidents since then there has not been any issues. The guard wouldn't be pulling out if there were still issues.
This is a non-story now.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...floyd-protests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post

I probably could argue both sides of the argument to go in with force or hang back. Given businesses were already struggling with the pandemic, I’d probably go in hard against the looters. I have no training, so my tactical opinion is pretty worthless.

Here’s an article about some looters and why they did it. The guy that said he did it because he could lends strength to the argument of going in hard (I mean stopping it, not just hanging back).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lat...yd%3f_amp=true
See posts No. 343 and 345 regarding De-escalation and police tactics during mass protests.

It was frustrating watching the mass looting occur last weekend. Last Sunday I watched two cops tackle one looter after hours of many looters getting away unabated. It felt like my team finally scored a touchdown or made a goal line stand after hours of getting crushed.

All that said, and the stupidity of individual looters notwithstanding, the ability of the police to separate the looters from the protesters may appear easy to us "Monday morning" quarterbacks. But in the fog of the actual protest the police are seeking to minimize loss of life and maintain general public order from going to complete chaos.

Old 06-07-2020, 12:30 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
All that said, and the stupidity of individual looters notwithstanding, the ability of the police to separate the looters from the protesters may appear easy to us "Monday morning" quarterbacks. But in the fog of the actual protest the police are seeking to minimize loss of life and maintain general public order from going to complete chaos.
Exactly

Old 06-07-2020, 12:32 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,394,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
No, I'm no referring to that. There was looting and vandalism.
Exitus: There may have been a few cases of minor looting and vandalism after Monday (June 1) but they were very minor.

I watched Fox 11 Los Angeles the whole week and they were very quick to report on looting/vandalism. It was game over for the looters/vandals after Monday night.

Quote:

I don't know which war memorials specifically. I'll repost here the next time a story comes up in my newsfeed,
Again, there were several false/now de-bunked reports about vandalism to war memorials both here in LA and in DC. Be careful about what you read in your newsfeed.

https://factcheck.afp.com/los-angele...floyd-protests

Old 06-07-2020, 01:39 PM

19,426 posts, read 15,240,283 times
We finally went out to dinner Thursday night. It was in the next city over. It was inside the shopping mall. As we were driving up, we saw the National Guard there. We saw a few stores boarded up, but otherwise it looked intact. They must have been on top of it. We're lucky to be able to feel safe.

As far as distancing, there weren't many people there, so that wasn't a problem. The waiter wore both a mask and a face shield.

There was a protest in that same city yesterday. I guess there were a couple of flare-ups, but again, they quickly tamped it out.

Old 06-07-2020, 01:45 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,277,252 times
Quote:
Actually, the national guard is pulling out of Los Angeles today or tomorrow as was reported in the LA Times this morning.

The mass looting was over with by Monday night (June 1). Other than a few minor incidents since then there has not been any issues. The guard wouldn't be pulling out if there were still issues.
This is a non-story now.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...floyd-protests

See posts No. 343 and 345 regarding De-escalation and police tactics during mass protests.

It was frustrating watching the mass looting occur last weekend. Last Sunday I watched two cops tackle one looter after hours of many looters getting away unabated. It felt like my team finally scored a touchdown or made a goal line stand after hours of getting crushed.

Good to hear it’s quieted down. I’m still not agreeing with the de-escalation, but it doesn’t matter. I don’t think this was all coordinated. I think it was a bunch of criminals seizing the opportunity in the chaos to be criminals.

I know it’s only a few, but I’ve seen some interviews with the looters they caught and it was always “I did it because I could” or “I wanted free stuff”. One guy said he didn’t care about the protesting he just wanted to grab stuff.

I do hope there are reforms out of this, but BLM shouldn’t be supported at all based on their demands listed on their website.

Old 06-07-2020, 06:05 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,375,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
And what's kind of funny is that I had remarked earlier in the thread about that encounter in Van Nuys, which supposedly, after it happened, started going viral, but I don't know.

Anyway, now that I think of it, it just so happens to embody all of the elements I mentioned in my previous post; peaceful protesting, rioting, it's all about George Floyd, and also apparent overreaction by police, although I don't blame them in this occurrence.

It's a long video, but when we were watching it live, it was pretty tense because you didn't know how everything was going to turn out, and so many factors played into the situation.

Also, after all this, they tracked down the one woman, Monette Watley, and the reporter who was there on the street interviewing them, Christina Gonzalez. What's weird is that when I was first trying to find the complete interaction that night, the media clips I found seemed to be leave out the part where Monette explains the close community, and it rather concentrated on how she, herself, may have been a victim of police "profiling."

Later, tonight, I was searching for the footage again, and now I see the first part, where they were all talking about the community, but now I didn't find the part where she is imploring that she just wants her, her family, and others to be heard.

I doubt many will watch, but it was pretty intense watching it live, not knowing what was going to happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fDTwVmG-ME
That is incredible footage. It's so real that it seems fake. Thanks for posting

Old 06-07-2020, 07:58 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
Quote:
Exitus: There may have been a few cases of minor looting and vandalism after Monday (June 1) but they were very minor.

I watched Fox 11 Los Angeles the whole week and they were very quick to report on looting/vandalism. It was game over for the looters/vandals after Monday night.

Again, there were several false/now de-bunked reports about vandalism to war memorials both here in LA and in DC. Be careful about what you read in your newsfeed.

https://factcheck.afp.com/los-angele...floyd-protests
Not "minor" if you're a SBO who put decades into building your business. BTW, you said there were none.

I hope you are correct and that no war memorials were vandalized.

Old 06-07-2020, 08:15 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,277,252 times
Quote:
Not "minor" if you're a SBO who put decades into building your business. BTW, you said there were none.

I hope you are correct and that no war memorials were vandalized.
Now BLM wants to defund police. That’s just crazy. You really want to see looting, defund the police.

Old 06-07-2020, 09:52 PM

2,511 posts, read 1,297,310 times
The police in Minneapolis has been abolished.
I see 2 ways to survive for a regular guy in the city:
an AK-47
a trip to U-Haul

----
LA drivers are crazy these days. They drive 100 mph in South LA as the police is nowhere to be seen.

Last edited by vincenze; 06-07-2020 at 10:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles