Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 08:09 PM

8 posts, read 12,475 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,
I've lived in LA proper for the last few decades but have reached a point where I'm now looking for a more quiet suburban community. I'm single female mid 50s (though look much younger) super active and still work in LA. I would like a single family home or private townhouse in $700 - $850k. Any thoughts on location? I don't know much about the Valley so I thought I'd start here first. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 10:58 PM

545 posts, read 513,687 times
You have to decide on a few things first

because price-wise, you can find something in that range in pretty much anywhere in the Valley except the priciest areas, but you can still live within walking distance of those priciest areas in that price range

So then it comes down to the usual criteria: mass transit important? Freeway convenience and proximity to the Westside or downtown important ? (or whatever the case may be); want to be close as possible to the beach?.

The weather is also a consideration. Much hotter in West Valley

Old 05-25-2020, 06:44 AM

@Csona, thank you for your response. As much as the warmer weather concerns me the trade off would be worth it. I also rarely take public transportation. I currently work in Hollywood but I see that changing in the near future to either WLA or downtown. Being close to the beach is not important. I live relatively close now but rarely go because of crowds. My main goal is to live on a quiet tree in a quiet beautiful area.

Old 05-25-2020, 09:35 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,300,736 times
I would look in Burbank. It is a great community, lots of walkable neighborhoods and there are a lot of townhomes/condos in your price range.

Old 05-25-2020, 09:49 AM

545 posts, read 513,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX2CMH View Post
@Csona, thank you for your response. As much as the warmer weather concerns me the trade off would be worth it. I also rarely take public transportation. I currently work in Hollywood but I see that changing in the near future to either WLA or downtown. Being close to the beach is not important. I live relatively close now but rarely go because of crowds. My main goal is to live on a quiet tree in a quiet beautiful area.
you will find what you are looking for in an area like Valley Village or Studio City or even parts of North Hollywood near Toluca

Your budget is maybe toward the lower end for these areas but you can find a place if you look around

Even Burbank. Magnolia Park is very nice

Old 05-25-2020, 10:28 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,394,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csonka View Post
you will find what you are looking for in an area like Valley Village or Studio City or even parts of North Hollywood near Toluca

Your budget is maybe toward the lower end for these areas but you can find a place if you look around

Even Burbank. Magnolia Park is very nice
I agree with Csonka and Tim. All the areas they have suggested are worth a look: Studio City, Valley Village, Burbank, etc.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:30 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,394,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csonka View Post

The weather is also a consideration. Much hotter in West Valley
This is very true. I grew up in the West Valley....definitely hotter than the eastern portions of the valley.

Probably not in the OP's commute range anyway....

Old 05-26-2020, 11:14 AM

908 posts, read 1,303,643 times
In terms of buying a single family home at your price range in a good part of the Valley, your best bet would be Woodland Hills or West Hills. Only downside is that regardless if you work in downtown LA or west LA, it will be a long commute.

But if you opt for a townhouse, then definitely you can find something in good areas previously mentioned such as Studio City, Valley Village, and Burbank. I'd also look into Sherman Oaks. Certainly some parts of these areas have louder sections depending on proximity to major streets, but there are also some nice, quiet tree-lined streets.

Old 05-26-2020, 12:12 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
Assuming traffic goes back to regular patterns in the not too distant future, you won't want to live west of the 405. I lived only a couple miles west of the 405/101 interchange (White Oak exit) and commuted to Burbank for a while and half my trip would be getting past the 405.

As for quiet, the Valley is an interesting place. The major streets are nearly as crowded as the other side of the hill. Having said that, the grid in the valley allows you to hide away in a postwar neighborhood where the noise and traffic should be minimized. You'll never escape the helicopters though. I've also seen that petty crime cannot be completely avoided anywhere in LA, the Valley included. Having said that, I second Valley Village as an area to look at and would add Valley Glen as well. I knew a couple of families raising young kids in these areas a few years ago and they seemed to enjoy their neighborhoods.

Old 05-27-2020, 10:20 AM

Thank you for your responses everyone! It seems as though I have to get out there and explore although West Hills feels about right (I think). I will look into Valley Village and Valley Glen too. Also, I should be clear when I say I'm looking for quiet I mean less density not anything more. I've lived in LA proper for decades now and used to love it but it has grown increasingly more dense over the past 10 years to the point where it's difficult to get around even on weekends. The noise factor has also increased over this same period of time. I know I mentioned a townhouse being an option but the more I think about it the less appealing that is considering my goal. I also have a (small) house now and I think that would too difficult of an adjustment. Last thing, although I'd rather keep my commute to under an hour if I found the right house I wouldn't mind the drive. The trade off would be worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles