Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2008, 07:54 AM

54 posts, read 83,921 times

Advertisements

I read this interesting article in this French newspaper about an eco-village in the heart of los angeles (attention : written in French)

Le Monde.fr : L'"écovillage" de Bimini Place, utopie écologiste au coeur de la mégapole de Los Angeles - Environnement, Sciences (http://www.lemonde.fr/sciences-et-environnement/article/2008/04/25/l-ecovillage-de-bimini-place-utopie-ecologiste-au-coeur-de-la-megapole-de-los-angeles_1038504_3244.html#ens_id=1035786 - broken link)

does any los angeleno know about this eco-village and has ever visited it? What does it look like? What kind of people live there? Any pictures of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 07:59 AM

Default here is the eco-village building

http://www.ciwmb.ca.gov/CALmax/images/2004/Fall/BiminiPl.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-28-2008, 08:01 AM

Default more about the LA eco-village (in English that time)

An extensive article on the topic.

Los Angeles Eco-Village: Fall 2004 CalMAX Sustainable Housing Article

Old 04-28-2008, 10:44 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Los Angeles Eco-Village

Old 04-28-2008, 06:51 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
I used to live there, they are very nice well meaning people. If they accept you into the community, they will bend over backwards to work with you. They try to make it as community living as possible but participation is not mandatory. There is a community dinner every Sunday, they have their own compost chicken to provide eggs, a vegetable garden. The neighborhood is not the nicest, but it is relatively safe. There is a halfway house a few doors down. Please note I lived there in 1999 so some things may have changed but I'm thinking not. The apartments are nice and a decent size and there is are washers and dryers on every floor. It is walking distance to a grocery store (Vons, Ralph's and a Seafood), KFC, video store, Rite-Aid and Mc Donald's. If you insist on public transportation, you are near the Vermont-754,204, Beverly-14, 3rd St 16-316 and Silverlake-201 bus lines and the Red Line rail (Beverly and Vermont station). I would recommend a car (they discourage that) and parking isn't easy. Also it's next to two schools so it gets a little noisy during the day.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I used to live there, they are very nice well meaning people. If they accept you into the community, they will bend over backwards to work with you. They try to make it as community living as possible but participation is not mandatory. There is a community dinner every Sunday, they have their own compost chicken to provide eggs, a vegetable garden. The neighborhood is not the nicest, but it is relatively safe. There is a halfway house a few doors down. Please note I lived there in 1999 so some things may have changed but I'm thinking not. The apartments are nice and a decent size and there is are washers and dryers on every floor. It is walking distance to a grocery store (Vons, Ralph's and a Seafood), KFC, video store, Rite-Aid and Mc Donald's. If you insist on public transportation, you are near the Vermont-754,204, Beverly-14, 3rd St 16-316 and Silverlake-201 bus lines and the Red Line rail (Beverly and Vermont station). I would recommend a car (they discourage that) and parking isn't easy. Also it's next to two schools so it gets a little noisy during the day.
Thanks. What kind of people live their? Hippy-style etc.? According to the french article I read, very different sort of but according to your experience, is that correct? White collar too?

Old 04-29-2008, 02:36 PM

16 posts, read 19,544 times
Default Cool People

I've been there a bunch of times for meetings and have a couple of friends there. I wouldn't really call it hippy. It's pretty much just young, progressive, eco-minded, urban people. Some racial diversity. It's not super funky or anything, I think if you didn't live there and just visited, you wouldn't immediately think it's that different from any other apartment complex. But it does seem like a very nice place to live. Good location, architecture and the people are very cool.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:25 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
Angelo got it right. The woman who is in charge is kinda hippy and the attitudes are, but everybody is really nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: