Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 11:04 PM

4,488 posts, read 3,899,787 times

Advertisements

I once got a camera ticket because (per the photo) I was 9 feet past the "stop here" line on the road. I was 56 feet before the actual intersection (I went back and measured". I went to court to contest it. No leniency. I think it was about $ 400 and change plus the waste of a day. Just pay it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2020, 11:08 PM

823 posts, read 1,049,944 times
I'd contest it if it were me. Seems that it's a technical violation, but I'd argue that it was an honest mistake, you didn't move into moving traffic, there were no pedestrians on the crosswalk because traffic proceeding straight ahead was already moving on a green light, you didn't run the red light, and you moved back once you realized your mistake. Traffic judges have fairly broad discretions to waive all or part of the penalty, or to impose community service instead of a fine or points. It's unpredictable, it'll depend on the outlook and mood of the judge you come before, but the worst that can happen is they say no. And I wouldn't hire a lawyer.

What city were you in?

Old 06-14-2020, 01:08 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,352,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMARXX View Post
I’m referring to the second line of the crosswalk. If I stopped right before that line and reversed into my lane again wouldn’t the person reviewing this give a little lenience?
You have to drive through the intersection before they can read your license plate. If only your front wheels went through and then you waited for green, your good

[mod cut]

Last edited by volosong; 06-15-2020 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: personal attack, trolling, comment designed to elicit an argumentative response

Old 06-27-2020, 07:51 AM

31 posts, read 38,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudwalker View Post
I'd contest it if it were me. Seems that it's a technical violation, but I'd argue that it was an honest mistake, you didn't move into moving traffic, there were no pedestrians on the crosswalk because traffic proceeding straight ahead was already moving on a green light, you didn't run the red light, and you moved back once you realized your mistake. Traffic judges have fairly broad discretions to waive all or part of the penalty, or to impose community service instead of a fine or points. It's unpredictable, it'll depend on the outlook and mood of the judge you come before, but the worst that can happen is they say no. And I wouldn't hire a lawyer.

What city were you in?
I was in east Los Angeles.

Old 06-27-2020, 07:54 AM

31 posts, read 38,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
You have to drive through the intersection before they can read your license plate. If only your front wheels went through and then you waited for green, your good

[mod cut]
Yes that’s what I’m thinking. My friends tell me if I didn’t make the left then I’m good

Old 06-27-2020, 10:16 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,274,499 times
Quote:
I’m referring to the second line of the crosswalk. If I stopped right before that line and reversed into my lane again wouldn’t the person reviewing this give a little lenience?
ZERO lenience in LA, especially now; they need the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
If you get the ticket in the mail, you're legally obligated to the pay the ticket. End of discussion.
No, not end of story; you CAN contest it, but I wouldn't bother.

Quote:
Yes that’s what I’m thinking. My friends tell me if I didn’t make the left then I’m good
Your friends are wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: