U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 09:02 AM

214 posts, read 345,562 times

Advertisements

pwright1, where in Los Angeles do you live? How long have you been there? And how do you like it? How are the people compared to Seattle? (friendly, approachable?)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 09:14 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,259,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
I guess it depends where in Glendale. It looks pretty but I find the people to be pretty ghetto and the drivers are more problematic.

I think Sherman Oaks and parts of Studio City are good for walking and running errands, everything is on Ventura Blvd and it doesn't have crazy nightlife. Homelessness doesn't seem to be a big problem there either.
True! The drivers in Glendale are flat out rude. The city has done a pretty good job of making Brand more pedestrian friendly and downtown areas is better with more things to walk to for daily needs. Last year they opened the Farm District Market on Orange in downtown. They need one of those urban Ralphs or Vons.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Glendale since the newer city council stopped mass approving large scale apartment complexes. They are also planning more express connections between the Red line in NoHo and the Gold Line in Pasadena to tie Glendale in.

Old 06-24-2020, 05:53 PM

Location: Midwesterner living in California (previously East Coast)
298 posts, read 383,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamainfl View Post
We are late 50's, wanting an "in-town" area, walkable, although not next to nightlife. I personally want a safe enough area that I can walk to errands by myself.

We will likely take a recon trip next spring. I am thinking of these areas: Atwater Village, West Hollywood, Los Feliz, Silver Lake, Echo Park, Westlake, Mid-Wilshire, Beverly Grove. We will rent a 1-2 bedroom, budget under $2200. I would like to find a full-time job that I could walk to. I currently work in a family owned jewelry store, and would like to find something similar in retail sales. Husband works from home.

Do any of these areas fit the bill? I'd like to take the top three and check them out on our recon trip. I would be open to other areas as well, like, what about Burbank?
Considering your background, listed desires, budget, and low comfort level with homeless people, I think you should focus on some valley communities.

Glendale is reasonably walkable, especially around downtown or further north in Montrose (along Honolulu Ave). Sherman Oaks and Studio City are great. Studio City is my favorite valley community in LA County.
Burbank is ok but not as good as Glendale, Studio City, or Sherman Oaks.

Pasadena is another option. Even though technically not in a valley, it is often lumped in with those communities due to its location outside of the Basin. For a satellite city, Pasadena has a very vibrant, walkable downtown area, with lots of Mom & Pop retail.
The downside is that the homeless situation is probably worse than in the aforementioned locations.

Mid-Wilshire, Beverly Grove, West Hollywood, Los Feliz, Silver Lake, and Echo Park are either too expensive for you or not fully a lifestyle fit. Westlake is absolutely a no-go area for you.

Old 06-24-2020, 06:04 PM

5,828 posts, read 14,441,553 times
Quote:
pwright1, where in Los Angeles do you live? How long have you been there? And how do you like it? How are the people compared to Seattle? (friendly, approachable?)
I live in downtown Los Angeles. I use to live on Capitol Hill and eventually I bought a house in the Mount Baker section of Seattle. It's going on 8 years of living here and I love it. I find the people to be quite friendly and to me it's much more of an international city. Seattle people are a little more friendly and nice but not as outgoing. When I moved here I wanted to live in a walkable urban environment. I started out on the west side of LA but found it not to my liking. Way too much traffic and not very pedestrian friendly imo.
I think the Miracle Mile neighborhood would be nice. You can walk to restaurants, coffee shops, markets, cultural amenities like the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA) which is going through an expansion. Every April-Nov they have a free outdoor jazz concert every Friday. Not this year with Covid-19 though. Plus Miracle Mile is centrally located. Just minutes from major shopping, Beverly Hills/Century City, downtown, West Hollywood and Koreatown.

Old 06-24-2020, 06:38 PM

564 posts, read 342,421 times
I really like Atwater Village, West Hollywood, Los Feliz, and Silver Lake. All four have a good urban vibe. I like Echo Park also but the homeless population there is an issue.

Old 06-25-2020, 01:12 PM

55 posts, read 38,968 times
I think everyone here would agree that there are a lot of places you should check out. I would suggest not trying to pick only a top three from this forum. If you can afford to investigate as many suggestions as possible it would be worth it.

While LA has walkable areas, I'm afraid it may be pretty hard to find both a nice and walkable area plus a retail job there too, especially now that so many stores are hurting from the closures and from reduced business even if they are open. Finding an "easy commute" by LA standards might be more realistic. For example, you might be able to live and work in the western part of the San Gabriel Valley, which includes e.g. Pasadena, Arcadia, Temple City, San Gabriel and has a few hundred thousand residents. If your drive is only through the Valley and not on the freeways it might be a 20-30 minute commute, which is "easy" in LA. (I agree with the folks who expect the freeways to get jammed up again in a year or two.) These communities have a lot of apartment buildings in decent residential areas, a lot of low-crime neighborhoods, and very few homeless on the streets. Not all of the apartments are easy walking distance from stores for your personal errands.

"Old Town Pasadena" is a major night life area. It covers several blocks along the west end of Colorado in Pasadena. There are a lot of apartments and condos Pasadena, especially south of 210 but prices might be an issue for you because it's so walkable and close to Old Town. In Pasadena, avoid north of the 210 as far as apartments go, because of crime.

You might also want to look at the Claremont area. Apartments are considerably cheaper than closer to LA, and the Claremont colleges are there. It has some walkable areas and is pleasant.

Old 06-25-2020, 02:55 PM

6,948 posts, read 12,081,906 times
Quote:
We are late 50's, wanting an "in-town" area, walkable, although not next to nightlife. I personally want a safe enough area that I can walk to errands by myself.

We will likely take a recon trip next spring.
That is a great idea but doing a few day recon as a visitor is, in some ways, a lot like watching the trailer of a movie to determine if it is good or not.

Curious, people getting closer to retirement age often try to move out of LA, and even CA but you are doing the opposite. Not judging or anything but just wanted to find out why you picked LA as your next -possible- destination?

You may have very valid or at least, understandable reasons to leave Seattle but I would like to know your reasons for picking LA. I think, with that info, people can offer you more helpful guidance.

Old 06-25-2020, 08:49 PM

214 posts, read 345,562 times
To be honest, my husband is tired of Seattle, for a myriad of reasons. I like it here pretty much, but, am open to a new adventure. I chose Seattle, so it is his turn to pick. He was pushing for Los Angeles before we decided on Seattle. Either that or NYC. He likes a big city.

So, after some google maps searches, I'm wondering if there are any L.A. neighborhoods that are historically charming, as well as a walkable downtown area. No one mentioned Alhambra. What is the general vibe of that area?

Thanks to everyone giving their input! It's all good information to consider!

Old 06-25-2020, 09:47 PM

20,136 posts, read 20,367,994 times
Since you are looking at Glendale as a possibility, La Crescenta-Montrose would be another area worth looking in to. It’s just north of Glendale, in the foothills. It’s safe, walkable and the downtown area, has shopping, dining, etc. You are about 2 miles away from La Canada, which has nice shopping & dining, and a farmer’s market along Foothill Blvd.

The cross streets are:: Honolulu & Verdugo. Zip code is:: 91020.

I lived there years ago and had great experiences.

Old 06-25-2020, 10:00 PM

20,136 posts, read 20,367,994 times
South Pasadena is charming, with a nice, but small downtown area. It’s a safe city, with a “Mayberry” type of small town feel and charm. Downtown is along Mission Street & Fair Oaks.

Alhambra is fine, with a heavier Asian & Hispanic demographic. Lots of good Asian & Hispanic restaurants and shops.

Quote:
To be honest, my husband is tired of Seattle, for a myriad of reasons. I like it here pretty much, but, am open to a new adventure. I chose Seattle, so it is his turn to pick. He was pushing for Los Angeles before we decided on Seattle. Either that or NYC. He likes a big city.

So, after some google maps searches, I'm wondering if there are any L.A. neighborhoods that are historically charming, as well as a walkable downtown area. No one mentioned Alhambra. What is the general vibe of that area?

Thanks to everyone giving their input! It's all good information to consider!

Last edited by ccm123; 06-25-2020 at 10:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles