U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 07:56 AM

4,507 posts, read 2,850,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamainfl View Post
To be honest, my husband is tired of Seattle, for a myriad of reasons. I like it here pretty much, but, am open to a new adventure. I chose Seattle, so it is his turn to pick. He was pushing for Los Angeles before we decided on Seattle. Either that or NYC. He likes a big city.

So, after some google maps searches, I'm wondering if there are any L.A. neighborhoods that are historically charming, as well as a walkable downtown area. No one mentioned Alhambra. What is the general vibe of that area?

Thanks to everyone giving their input! It's all good information to consider!
For historical charm try: Pasadena and South Pasadena. Both independent cities but located in LA County and both have very charming historical character.

Neighborhoods in LA city limits that have historical character:

-Los Feliz: There isn't really a downtown but the area along Vermont Ave between Franklin and Hollywood Blvd is like the "main street" of the neighborhood. Or Hillhurst a few blocks east.

-Larchmont Village: Same as above but Larchmont Blvd. serves as the "main street" of the neighborhood. This is primarily a single-family residential area.

-Mid-Wilshire: Wilshire Blvd and La Brea Ave are the main commercial strips in the area. Residential portions of the neighborhood have numerous buildings dating between the 1920's to the 1940's.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2020, 05:41 PM

348 posts, read 291,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamainfl View Post
To be honest, my husband is tired of Seattle, for a myriad of reasons. I like it here pretty much, but, am open to a new adventure. I chose Seattle, so it is his turn to pick. He was pushing for Los Angeles before we decided on Seattle. Either that or NYC. He likes a big city.

So, after some google maps searches, I'm wondering if there are any L.A. neighborhoods that are historically charming, as well as a walkable downtown area. No one mentioned Alhambra. What is the general vibe of that area?

Thanks to everyone giving their input! It's all good information to consider!
I would just warn you that LA in general is not walkable compared to Seattle. I would visit these neighborhoods before you make the decision to move. It is a very car-centric culture

Old 06-27-2020, 01:35 AM

5,828 posts, read 14,424,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
That is a great idea but doing a few day recon as a visitor is, in some ways, a lot like watching the trailer of a movie to determine if it is good or not.

Curious, people getting closer to retirement age often try to move out of LA, and even CA but you are doing the opposite. Not judging or anything but just wanted to find out why you picked LA as your next -possible- destination?

You may have very valid or at least, understandable reasons to leave Seattle but I would like to know your reasons for picking LA. I think, with that info, people can offer you more helpful guidance.
I too picked LA to retire in. Believe it or not LA is a great city with lots to enjoy. Not the perfect city but after living in DC, NY, Newark NJ, Dallas, Seattle and a few others LA is my favorite. The weather alone is glorious. No more shoveling snow. No more oppressive hot and humid summers. Flowers and beautiful vegetation year around. I went to Austin recently to check it out. No thanks.

Old 06-27-2020, 04:30 AM

29 posts, read 19,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I too picked LA to retire in. Believe it or not LA is a great city with lots to enjoy. Not the perfect city but after living in DC, NY, Newark NJ, Dallas, Seattle and a few others LA is my favorite. The weather alone is glorious. No more shoveling snow. No more oppressive hot and humid summers. Flowers and beautiful vegetation year around. I went to Austin recently to check it out. No thanks.

what didn't you like about Austin in comparison to living in LA? Thanks!

Old 06-28-2020, 02:29 PM

1,485 posts, read 841,571 times
From one sheet hole right into another sheethole huh?

Old 06-29-2020, 02:26 PM

5,828 posts, read 14,424,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake825 View Post
what didn't you like about Austin in comparison to living in LA? Thanks!
Compared to LA, the heat and humidity was awful. Infrastructure seems to be decades old. Needs major public transportation expansion asap with all the transplants. Housing prices are now the most expensive in Texas and soaring. Still much cheaper than LA. The Colorado River in Austin is no Pacific Ocean. Being in the 2nd largest cities in the country has me spoiled in international food scene, cultural amenities, great year around weather which to me makes it a much more enjoyable city. Could I live in Austin? No but a fun city to visit .

Old 06-30-2020, 12:00 PM

6,203 posts, read 10,652,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I went to Austin recently to check it out. No thanks.
Among the Filipino community, Seattle is currently under an Austin-like buzz of publicity. Vegas has long been the relocation destination for Californian Fil-Ams fleeing high COL and house prices. Houston is pretty much the only option in the South, especially for Chicagoans and New Yorkers fleeing the winters. Seattle's wildcard status was unexpected since a study a few years earlier awarded the city as the "suicide capital" due to the year-round cool, gloomy climate.

Although the border location might have something to do with the proximity to relatives in rapidly popular Western Canada--Vancouver is a short hop away and Calgary can be reached comfortably through the Rockies within a day's drive.

Old 07-01-2020, 11:09 AM

2,030 posts, read 2,579,582 times
Back in july 2015 I moved from LA to seattle. Honestly I like Seattle much much better than LA. I live in northgate seattle.

Here in seattle I have a girlfriend and 30 friends.

In LA I couldn't get a girlfriend and hardly had any friends.

Im a white male in my late 30s.

In LA I owned a car for 16 years. Here in seattle I walk ot is king county metro.

If you move to LA and don't like it you can always move back to seattle.

Old 07-01-2020, 11:10 AM

2,030 posts, read 2,579,582 times
In terms of restuarants LA has better restaurants than Seattle. LA also has better shopping and shopping malls than the seattle area.

Each place has pros and cons.

Old 07-01-2020, 03:36 PM

244 posts, read 310,109 times
Note that Santa Monica is quite liberal and Glendale is conservative.

I lived at the border of Los Feliz and Silverlake for many years. The Hyperion Boulevard area south of Atwater Village has really improved. The main problem with Los Feliz and Silverlake is traffic. Hyperion Boulevard gets layers of Black smoke. Atwater Village I think has less traffic.

My mother grew up in the La Crescenta area and I grew up in Sun Valley South of there. The Sunland-Tujunga and La Crescenta-Montrose areas are nice if you want a country style. That area is close to the Angeles National Forest.

About a million people live in the San Fernando Valley and there is a wide variety of possibilities here.

Did anyone mention Highland Park? It has a reputation for history. And maybe Eagle Rock too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles