Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-27-2008, 02:26 AM
 
1,875 posts, read 2,870,409 times
Reputation: 145

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jDiem View Post
I use to live in Inglewood so I know what you mean, know i happily reside in Queens NY a much better placeee!
I always wanted to move westward far from Long Beach. I'll be filling employment soon and maybe, just maybe, one day I can live peacefully with my future wife, away from the bad neighborhoods, and never have any problems at all.

 
Old 02-09-2008, 06:40 PM
 
Location: Shreveport(a.k.a. Port City or Ratchet City)
10 posts, read 77,947 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by newulm View Post
i am going on a roadtrip to LA and i was given a 200 dollar bet to walk a city block with a red t-shirt on at 12:00 noon. should i do it???
i saw this and jus jumped in it but u definetly should not cuzz u never kno wut area u walkin thru and u dont want it 2 be tha rong area. u jus gotta be Xtremely poor or a complete ... (mod cut; language)
its not a guarantee sumthin happen 2 u dependin on how u look and tha rite area but most lilkely sumthin will

Last edited by SandyCo; 02-29-2008 at 11:22 PM..
 
Old 02-12-2008, 01:30 PM
 
2 posts, read 30,800 times
Reputation: 11
I am white so is my dad and he's a Polish man living in Compton n im moving to him in april for ever because i can not live with someone else is it a good idea to make some friends in Compton or just stay home or join a gang but would they let me join a gnag if im white
 
Old 02-12-2008, 01:33 PM
 
2 posts, read 30,800 times
Reputation: 11
an is it good to have a car in compton if you dont know enyone what should i wear n how shud i speak plz help me ????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Old 02-12-2008, 01:56 PM
 
2,589 posts, read 8,639,854 times
Reputation: 2644
ask your dad! he lives there and should be able to help you.
 
Old 02-12-2008, 07:18 PM
 
196 posts, read 920,671 times
Reputation: 96
I've always had an interest in urban issues so on my way to LAX, I got off the freeway early and drove through part of Compton, it was pretty early in the morning so there was hardly anybody out and about. Yea, houses had bars on the windows and the occasional old furniture/auto parts on the lawn, but it certainly didn't appear to be a war zone. Visually, it doesn't look that bad as it's rep suggests. Grass is green everywhere in LA. I've definetely seen much "grittier" looking places in the midwest. I could see it being "rediscovered" as a good place to live in 10-20 years, considering the limited space left in SoCal. If you look at crime statistics, Compton is up there but there are a bunch of other worse cities in the US. The name itself has just made it so infamous, it's going to take time for people to lose that association.
 
Old 02-12-2008, 11:12 PM
 
Location: Northeast Tennessee
7,305 posts, read 28,231,171 times
Reputation: 5523
According to the date, only about 1% of Compton residents are white. ?
 
Old 02-16-2008, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
19 posts, read 66,330 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
According to the date, only about 1% of Compton residents are white. ?
Yes, that seems accurate and probably generous; the area is made up of african american and hispanic. It's pretty safe .. well, mainly safe during the daylight hours, but not at night. My advice is to drive around the area during the daylight hours so that if you ever get stranded there at night you won't feel stressed or scared.
 
Old 02-16-2008, 09:34 AM
 
6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Reputation: 6396
Quote:
Originally Posted by talktobrent View Post
I've always had an interest in urban issues so on my way to LAX, I got off the freeway early and drove through part of Compton, it was pretty early in the morning so there was hardly anybody out and about. Yea, houses had bars on the windows and the occasional old furniture/auto parts on the lawn, but it certainly didn't appear to be a war zone. Visually, it doesn't look that bad as it's rep suggests. Grass is green everywhere in LA. I've definetely seen much "grittier" looking places in the midwest. I could see it being "rediscovered" as a good place to live in 10-20 years, considering the limited space left in SoCal. If you look at crime statistics, Compton is up there but there are a bunch of other worse cities in the US. The name itself has just made it so infamous, it's going to take time for people to lose that association.
It's better to go to the ghetto you KNOW than the ones you don't.

I'd rather walk through the South Bronx, Red Hook (Brooklyn) and Fort Greene (Brooklyn) before I'd ever take a run through Crenshaw, Long Beach, Watts or East LA. I like to see my criminals out on the street causing mayhem than hidden away.

That's the difference between LA and NY ghettos. In NY, you can tell the bad areas instantly (loitering, loud music, trash, etc.). In LA they still pick up the trash and there aren't that many people standing around giving you an idea of your surroundings (night or day).
 
Old 02-28-2008, 06:21 PM
 
Location: Shreveport(a.k.a. Port City or Ratchet City)
10 posts, read 77,947 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mill5e View Post
I am white so is my dad and he's a Polish man living in Compton n im moving to him in april for ever because i can not live with someone else is it a good idea to make some friends in Compton or just stay home or join a gang but would they let me join a gnag if im white
it doesnt matter, u can join a gang if your white and tha rest u should kno on your own. dont just assume your a member of that gang just cuzz u liv there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top