Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 07:44 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,341,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport185 View Post
Um no then China wouldn't gotten sick. Asian people always wear masks and still got sick
Um, no they don’t.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2020, 07:49 PM

142 posts, read 71,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I wish this site would remove posts that are deliberate misinformation.
You mean like you?

Old 07-25-2020, 08:06 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
With 82% of deaths being in the over 65 age group, I think we can take a more measured approach than a complete lockdown. Being 68 I'm very conscious of my behavior, but I'm still appraising homes every day. I wear a mask & gloves and socially distance at all times. I don't think enough attention has been paid to the absolutely devastating long term economic effects on the millions of low risk workers who have been thrown out of work. Many will simply never get out of that hole. It would be easy for people like myself to advocate for a lockdown, all it means to me is better traffic. But I think we have to pay more attention to the psychological and economic effects on workers. Depression & anxiety are spiking significantly. COVID isn't the only thing that can kill you.
The bolded is not being sufficiently addressed by the media. We know that mass unemployment and isolation kill people. And if you think it's just Republicans saying that, you'd be wrong. Robert Kennedy Jr. (definitely a Democrat and not a Trump supporter) gave an interview here where he said just that starting at 46:58

Everybody's saying "Listen to the scientists". But there's a flaw there, which is the scientists can tell you--maybe can model...how many people are going to die from coronavirus using different scenarios...You know, if we all go back to work tomorrow, here's how many people are going to die. If we all stay locked up for 6 months, here's how many people...And they can do that probably pretty well.....

....But there's something that's not being modeled here, which is something those scientists have no expertise on. How many people are being killed by the quarantine? There's really good data--and it's solid from dozens and dozens of studies--that show that, number one, isolation kills lots of people. It kills people from depression. It kills people from mistakes. It kills people from not getting routine medical care. It kills people in a lot of different ways. But also, unemployment kills people. There's a really good 1982 book that's considered authoritative and that book did all of the modeling on historical unemployment rates...What they found is that for every point [increase] in unemployment 37,000 people died. About 9,000 people died from heart attacks. 900 people died from suicides...all these different reasons that they die. And then 3000-3300 people go to prison (for every one point). And an extra 4,000 people end up in mental institutions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLi6ZrFp6vQ&t=56s

Old 07-25-2020, 08:34 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,180,221 times
Rioting in LA again tonight...... How dumb can you people get???

Old 07-25-2020, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The bolded is not being sufficiently addressed by the media.... <snip >
Apparently you think the media is a public service with an obligation to inform. It isn’t. With the exception of the few public media, such as NPR / PBS, mainstream media is an entertainment business ... and other media is special interest advocacy.

Old 07-25-2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Rioting in LA again tonight...... How dumb can you people get???
10,000,000 people in LA county. How many are rioting, Finper?

The question is now: how dumb is it for someone to conflate the actions of several hundred with the stability of 9,999,400?

Old 07-26-2020, 11:41 AM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Not at the Trader Joe's on Wilshire in SM last Tuesday -- everybody did an excellent job of social distancing despite it being a generally busy time. And not at the CVS on Wilshire in SM last night.

So then, survey says:

And Richard Dawson says good-bye and thanks for playing...
At the local vons the lines go down every aisle and people are shopping those same aisles literally rubbing up against someone to reach the shelf. Let's not pretend people aren't still having to be close to one another in stores. Only Costco has aisle width needed to stay fairly distant.

Old 07-26-2020, 01:28 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,657,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
At the local vons the lines go down every aisle and people are shopping those same aisles literally rubbing up against someone to reach the shelf. Let's not pretend people aren't still having to be close to one another in stores. Only Costco has aisle width needed to stay fairly distant.
I never see that at my local Smart and Final, which I visit once a week. And when I was at Ace Hardware last week I didn't see that either. Interesting that your local Vons has people rubbing up against each other, because even before the pandemic, I never saw such behavior at the Vons on Wilshire in SM...perhaps you should switch stores.

Old 07-26-2020, 01:52 PM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I never see that at my local Smart and Final, which I visit once a week. And when I was at Ace Hardware last week I didn't see that either. Interesting that your local Vons has people rubbing up against each other, because even before the pandemic, I never saw such behavior at the Vons on Wilshire in SM...perhaps you should switch stores.
I don't go in. This is from pics and first hands on nextdoor.

Fart and smile did well from what I hear except for the beer aisle that happened to be the aisle they decided to use to herd the sheep. So anyone on a booze run had to get into someone's grill just to reach it.

I'm a prepper so I still have months worth of food and I also use butcher box to top off my supply of wild game in the freezer.

Old 07-26-2020, 02:01 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I don't go in. This is from pics and first hands on nextdoor.
Well, no wonder. (Lots of hysteria and hyperbole on that website.) No Vons around here fits that description.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles