Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 10:15 AM

8 posts, read 6,725 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

My girlfriend and are will be moving to the LA/OC area in the next year or two from Queens, NYC. We are in our early 30s, professionals (healthcare). I'm looking for some guidance regarding which neighborhood I should do some more research on. I've already done some research but I think the best info comes from people who have actually lived in those areas or its surrounding areas. As of now, we don't know where we will be working but that will be of course a major deciding factor regarding where we will live but I don't think it hurts to be researching into potential neighborhoods.

Essential requirements
1) Accessible to other areas of LA/OC by car. We don't want to be living in north San Fernando Valley or Mission Viejo which would limit job opportunities due to an extended commute time. Also we have family in Irvine/SGV so it would be nice to visit those areas here and there.
2) Within 45 mins - 1 hour of LAX. We like to travel internationally and have family outside the country that we would like to visit. We also want to make it easier for them to visit us.
3) Safe - no explanation needed.
4) Within our budget, we will likely make a combined income of around 200k, looking for 1BD rents around 1500-3000 a month (of course lower the better).

Ideal requirements
1) Diverse cuisine with an emphasis on Asian food - ideal area would be in or close to an area with Asian culture/food as we are both Asians but diversity would be nice too.
2) Not a "boring" neighborhood. Ideally we would like to live in an area with things to do like shopping/outdoor activities (hiking, beach, biking). Basically not looking for a retirement neighborhood.
3) Having a "city" feel. This is probably unrealistic coming from NYC but the better "city-like" feel the area has, the better.

Things we do not particularly care about
1) Bars and clubs. Neither of use are into these activities and I think its actually worse to have these around for us.
2) Space. We are used to small spaces. Currently we are living in a 1 bedroom 600 sq ft apt, so we are used to it. Of course a larger apt/more space would be nice.
3) Good schools, no kids currently, will not be important for maybe 10 years.

So far my research has lead me to these areas (no particular order)
LA County:
1) Torrance
2) Pasadena
3) Long Beach:was high on my list due to "city-like" vibes but seems like crime is higher than other interested areas (guess that should be expected for a "city-like" area).
4) Hermosa Beach
5) Redondo Beach
6) 626 area: this would probably the easiest area to settle in but concerned that it might be "too Asian" and lack the diversity I'm used to in Queens, NY. Also perhaps a bit far from the beach?

OC: haven't really looked too much into OC yet but my general take away is that it is a much calmer LA county
1) Huntington beach
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 01:35 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdweller1234 View Post
Essential requirements
1) Accessible to other areas of LA/OC by car. We don't want to be living in north San Fernando Valley or Mission Viejo which would limit job opportunities due to an extended commute time. Also we have family in Irvine/SGV so it would be nice to visit those areas here and there.
You may, or may not, wish to live in OC for other reasons, but Mission Viejo is located in South Orange County, and there certainly are plenty of healthcare jobs here, as well as in nearby Irvine.

Also, Irvine is not in the SFV.

Last edited by pacific2; 07-27-2020 at 01:55 PM..

Old 07-27-2020, 03:18 PM

2,502 posts, read 1,292,691 times
Rowland Heights.

It fits your requirements:
45 minutes to LAX.
45 minutes to Irvine.
Chinese restaurants.
Heights mean hiking.

For the "city feel", you can live in Downtown LA: Koreatown, etc.
---
Of course, it's all meaningless.
If you settle in Rowland Heights and your work is in Irvine, you'll experience 2-hour commutes each way during rush hours.
You'll quickly forget about biking, hiking, and beaches.

Old 07-27-2020, 05:01 PM

23,514 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Pasadena may fit your needs, although commuting to OC (if work should bring you there) would be a stretch.

Pasadena is diverse, has things to do, parts have a city feel (not like NYC though!), close to Asian food “mecca” (SGV) and there’s access to the Gold Line Metro Rail to get to LAX.

Old 07-27-2020, 05:28 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdweller1234 View Post
3) Long Beach:was high on my list due to "city-like" vibes but seems like crime is higher than other interested areas (guess that should be expected for a "city-like" area).
What about Seal Beach?

Old 07-27-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
Rowland Heights.

45 minutes to LAX.
45 minutes to Irvine.
Chinese restaurants.
Heights mean hiking.

---
If you settle in Rowland Heights and your work is in Irvine, you'll experience 2-hour commutes each way during rush hours.
Thanks will look into it. Wouldn't I be going against traffic though?

Old 07-27-2020, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
What about Seal Beach?
I briefly looked it up. Not sure I want to live in an area where 1/2 the area is a national wildlife refuge. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Last edited by nycdweller1234; 07-27-2020 at 09:17 PM.. Reason: Error

Old 07-28-2020, 07:22 AM

585 posts, read 634,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
Rowland Heights.

45 minutes to LAX.
45 minutes to Irvine.
Chinese restaurants.
Heights mean hiking.

---
Bwahaha Hah Hahahahahaha. Breath. Bwahhhhhh hah hahahahahaha!

At 2am, during Covid, if the Santa Ana's are blowing, and the freeways were recently replaved into velvety-smooth goodness. In a V-8. Floored.

Old 07-28-2020, 02:23 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,304,277 times
Don't expect anything to be like Queens out there. They don't call it 'Carifornia' for nothing. Not many parts of Socal that people can walk everywhere like in Astoria Queens or Flushing. You will miss the freedom and diversity of NYC.

Old 07-28-2020, 04:45 PM

94 posts, read 41,924 times
I think you're on the right track looking at the South Bay... Torrance, Redondo, Hermosa, Manhattan Beach. Only 15 minutes from LAX, lot of great Asian restaurants in Torrance, not as far from OC as Pasadena and other areas mentioned. Low crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles