Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2022, 11:16 PM

2,341 posts, read 849,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
I took 20 years for the temperature to rise 1 degree and they’re not sure how much of that is due to man made reasons. The media sure enjoys sensationalizing things. It’s LA and it’s a semi desert. It gets super hot a few times a year.

Not that the all electric vehicles makes any sort of sense either. It’s clear we don’t have the infrastructure to handle that. Get ready for more lectures from the authoritarians in California government about how we should take public transportation, not drive…you know, to all do our part.
Newson is spouting claptrap. It makes good press though to give the appearance that "something is being done" to combat global warming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2022, 07:04 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
I took 20 years for the temperature to rise 1 degree and they’re not sure how much of that is due to man made reasons. The media sure enjoys sensationalizing things.
The media?

"Average summer temperatures in California have risen by approximately 3 degrees F (1.8℃) since 1896, with more than half of that increase occurring since the early 1970s."

FAQ: CLIMATE CHANGE IN CALIFORNIA:
https://scripps.ucsd.edu/research/cl...nge-california

Old 09-06-2022, 09:58 AM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
[quote=JohnG72;64085358]I took 20 years for the temperature to rise 1 degree and they’re not sure how much of that is due to man made reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
"Average summer temperatures in California have risen by approximately 3 degrees F (1.8℃) since 1896, with more than half of that increase occurring since the early 1970s."
These posts don't seem to be contradictory. The early 70s were 50 years ago, and since then the temperature has risen less than 1 degree C, about 1.5 degrees F.

Old 09-06-2022, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
These posts don't seem to be contradictory. The early 70s were 50 years ago, and since then the temperature has risen less than 1 degree C, about 1.5 degrees F.
Right. The media doesn't appear to be sensationalizing anything here.

Old 09-06-2022, 05:30 PM

It was 103 in downtown Los Angeles on Sunday, 9/5.

"Sunday, Downtown Los Angeles hit 103 degrees while Long Beach Airport hit 109 and Burbank hit 110 degrees, the latter two setting daily records and the former the first 100+ degree reading in two years. Santa Ana in Orange County tied a record high of 108 degrees."

https://www.yahoo.com/now/parts-los-...143857911.html

Old 09-08-2022, 07:03 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,628,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Right. The media doesn't appear to be sensationalizing anything here.
I don’t understand why you are using regional weather over a ridiculously short span, which can fluctuate rather wildly because…well that’s how nature works.

https://www.climate.gov/news-feature...al-temperature

By aggressively stating the obvious and repeatedly blaming it on man made factors leaves the false impression that humans can make changes that will stop it. That’s the sensationalism.

Old 09-08-2022, 07:45 AM

Quote:
I don’t understand why you are using regional weather over a ridiculously short span
This is a thread about the heat in Los Angeles area.

Quote:
By aggressively stating the obvious and repeatedly blaming it on man made factors leaves the false impression that humans can make changes that will stop it. That’s the sensationalism.
Excuse me? "Aggressively stating the obvious"? It sounds as if you're labeling something "sensationalism" because you don't agree with it

Old 09-08-2022, 03:34 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,076,286 times
I honestly don’t know what 1.5 degrees Fahrenheit rise really means.
Is this a large average with small zones increasing more?

I am a simple guy and really only believe what I can see.

I can see that the waters on the west coast warmed up enough to be inhospitable to starfish.
As a diver and a long time abalone diver I can see the damage that happened in the last 15 years.
The kelp is disappearing due to more sea urchin.
The abalone is disappearing due to no kelp.
The urchins are devastating the kelp because there are no more starfish to keep them in check.

This all happened in the last 15 years.
How does the 1.5 degree in 50 years fit into this situation that I can clearly see?
I’m not making any of this up.
The sea life has changed dramatically these last 10-15 years.
Ask any seasoned west coast diver about my claims.

Same goes with the glaciers but I think to a less accelerated rate.
The glaciers near me at Hurricane Ridge have been taken a beating.
I don’t know much about Greenland but I understand it wasn’t doing well either.

I guess my point is that I see more damage than 1.5 degrees can cause in 50 years.
I know 3 degrees is huge.
1.5 is nothing to sneeze at either.
The difference in the abalone population situation during this last 10-15 years concerns me so I am skeptical of the numbers being told.

Old 09-08-2022, 03:37 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,076,286 times
I’m sorry.
I thought I was in the general California section.
My bad.

Old 09-08-2022, 04:12 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I honestly don’t know what 1.5 degrees Fahrenheit rise really means.
Is this a large average with small zones increasing more?

I am a simple guy and really only believe what I can see.

I can see that the waters on the west coast warmed up enough to be inhospitable to starfish.
As a diver and a long time abalone diver I can see the damage that happened in the last 15 years.
The kelp is disappearing due to more sea urchin.
The abalone is disappearing due to no kelp.
The urchins are devastating the kelp because there are no more starfish to keep them in check.

This all happened in the last 15 years.
How does the 1.5 degree in 50 years fit into this situation that I can clearly see?
I’m not making any of this up.
The sea life has changed dramatically these last 10-15 years.
Ask any seasoned west coast diver about my claims.

Same goes with the glaciers but I think to a less accelerated rate.
The glaciers near me at Hurricane Ridge have been taken a beating.
I don’t know much about Greenland but I understand it wasn’t doing well either.

I guess my point is that I see more damage than 1.5 degrees can cause in 50 years.
I know 3 degrees is huge.
1.5 is nothing to sneeze at either.
The difference in the abalone population situation during this last 10-15 years concerns me so I am skeptical of the numbers being told.
I've been wondering about the 1.5-2 degrees, too. I know it's kicked off bigger temp changes in other parts of the world. It throws things out of balance. I'd like to hear it explained by a meteorologist. For example, the global average = 2 degrees over 5 or more decades. But we know that the far north: Alaska, Siberia, have been experiencing winter heat waves of 90 degrees. That's winter or spring temps at the arctic circle! And those temp spikes surely affect the water temps, which affect the air currents high in the atmosphere, resulting in more disturbances: a domino effect

Also, they say that temperatures at high elevations are more affected than areas closer to sea level. So to us, it seems like not much of a change, but people closer to the poles, and people in mountainous regions (Switzerland, the Andes, the Himalayas) get hit harder. It's easy for us to think 2 degrees isn't a big deal, but to people in outlying areas or at higher elevations, the effects are more extreme. All that adds up.

That's all I can tell you. I can't explain more in detail. Would love to attend a lecture by a meteorologist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles