Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 06:34 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
I don't know anyone who was planning on trick or treating before this "ban" came out in a nearby county. Is it really that big of a deal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
The ban been reversed to not recommended. https://ktla.com/news/local-news/l-a...en-activities/

I agree w/ DKM. What parents even before COVID still take their kids to strangers' houses to get candy anymore anyway?! I know, I know, there's always some parents out there who still do, but it's just not safe...hasn't been for a LONG time & who wants people's nasty germs & now COVID germs all over the candy that YOUR kids are going to eat? I'll buy my own kids some candy!

No people have knocked on my door & neighbors around here for OVER A DECADE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2020, 06:41 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,142,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I agree w/ DKM. What parents even before COVID still take their kids to strangers' houses to get candy anymore anyway?! I know, I know, there's always some parents out there who still do, but it's just not safe...hasn't been for a LONG time & who wants people's nasty germs & now COVID germs all over the candy that YOUR kids are going to eat? I'll buy my own kids some candy!

Plenty during last year halloween. I live in wealthy neighborhood and most kids that knock on the door get driven from poor area.

Old 09-10-2020, 06:46 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:

Wow, where is your neighborhood? I thought you lived in Orange County. We get lots of trick-or-treaters and there are areas known to be especially lavish with decorations and generous with candy, that get a lot more. Sure, maybe if you are in a small gated community or 55+ area, there might not be any kids, but otherwise, they definitely still go around trick-or-treating.

Last year was the first year that I had no children young enough to trick-or-treat.

Old 09-10-2020, 11:48 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,880,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I guess one of the few things good about California is that cities don't have those silly ordinances on trick or treating unlike that of quite a number of east coast cities that set hours and sometimes even days(sometimes not even on October 31) and age limits as well. The state of Virginia is very meddling in this regard. I do remember how cities in the east were rescheduling TOT to November due to Hurricane Sandy back in 2012 and back in 2001 the year of 9/11 some East Coast cities were asking residents with kids to skip trick or treating. On the flip side California and its local governments are pretty much hands off on this one and let the parents decide.

As meddling as the nanny state in CA and the west coast at least for now they are generally hands off what people do for observance and celebrations except that many cities still ban state legal fireworks stands on Independence Day. Thus I was pretty shocked to hear LA County's restriction if it would ever come into effect which I doubt anyone would actually pay attention to it.
The traditional hands-off West Coast approach is one reason why LA has one of the worst COVID-19 situations and New York City is opening more and more. New Yorkers are used to complying with rules.

Old 09-11-2020, 02:15 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,310,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
The traditional hands-off West Coast approach is one reason why LA has one of the worst COVID-19 situations and New York City is opening more and more. New Yorkers are used to complying with rules.
You must be kidding me right. NY is a failed state these days. Look at what’s happening to the city streets. The upstate which I know people from there treat it like nothing is going on.

State/cities ordinances in the past in places like Virginia regarding age and time to TOT is little to do with COVID19 today. NYC is not one of the cities with such meddling ordinances. LA County is among the most meddling in the country/North America. Though I know people like you are the ones push for it. Apparently there is too much people who cannot accept that going police state is the problem not the solution and states and countries had proven that the carret method is better than the sticks method. Many countries using the sticks methods do no better and often worse than places using the carrot method. We don’t even have to look far to prove this right, Ie Orange County is much less meddling than LA county yet despite being pretty dense at 3 million people they almost taken no enforcement action throughout the year but they do much better than many other parts of the state that took much more drastic measures.

Old 09-11-2020, 02:42 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,608,104 times
Quote:

Usually people hand out the candy while it's still in the wrapper.

Old 09-11-2020, 05:18 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Quote:
Plenty during last year halloween. I live in wealthy neighborhood and most kids that knock on the door get driven from poor area.

Yes, I've heard of that happening too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Wow, where is your neighborhood? I thought you lived in Orange County. We get lots of trick-or-treaters and there are areas known to be especially lavish with decorations and generous with candy, that get a lot more. Sure, maybe if you are in a small gated community or 55+ area, there might not be any kids, but otherwise, they definitely still go around trick-or-treating.

Last year was the first year that I had no children young enough to trick-or-treat.

Close to OC & there are a lot of kids around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Usually people hand out the candy while it's still in the wrapper.

Ha, right, but the germs are still on the wrapper of course, so parents will have to wipe it all w/ alcohol wipes. Better to just buy fresh candy straight from the store.

Old 09-12-2020, 11:42 AM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Ha, right, but the germs are still on the wrapper of course, so parents will have to wipe it all w/ alcohol wipes. Better to just buy fresh candy straight from the store.
I thought the notion that you can easily get Covid from a surface like a food wrapper had been pretty much debunked.

Anyway, the Covid case rate in my city is about 1 per 1000. How many houses would a little kid go to? Fewer than 100 for sure. There's only a one in ten chance that even a single one of those houses would have a sick person in it. The chances that someone that a child encounters would be carrying Covid and have touched their face/nose right before touching the candy and caused an infectious amount of the virus to be transferred to the wrapper are so slim that it is actually paranoid to worry about it.

Honestly, people who think this is a risk are the type who would never have let their kids trick-or-treat anyway because of "germs" and the possibility of razor blades in the candy.

Old 09-13-2020, 10:48 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,429 times
Quote:
I live in wealthy neighborhood and most kids that knock on the door get driven from poor area.

That surprised me. When I was a kid, Halloween was a local phenomenon. Kids would stick to their own neighborhoods. It was a quaint, quiet holiday.

But if you go to Santa Monica's North of Montana neighborhood on Halloween, especially around 16th Street and Georgina, it's packed with people. The streets are closed to car traffic, and still the streets and sidewalks are so crowded with people that you can barely walk.

I initially wondered, are there really this many kids living in the area? Then I heard Tim Conway Jr. on KFI-AM, reporting on the cool neighborhoods for trick or treating. That's when I realized that parents were targeting certain neighborhoods, driving from far away.

It somehow feels like cheating. Taking a quaint, neighborhood event, and turning it into a mercenary, commercial endeavor.

Old 09-13-2020, 10:58 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,142,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
That surprised me. When I was a kid, Halloween was a local phenomenon. Kids would stick to their own neighborhoods. It was a quaint, quiet holiday.

But if you go to Santa Monica's North of Montana neighborhood on Halloween, especially around 16th Street and Georgina, it's packed with people. The streets are closed to car traffic, and still the streets and sidewalks are so crowded with people that you can barely walk.

I initially wondered, are there really this many kids living in the area? Then I heard Tim Conway Jr. on KFI-AM, reporting on the cool neighborhoods for trick or treating. That's when I realized that parents were targeting certain neighborhoods, driving from far away.

It somehow feels like cheating. Taking a quaint, neighborhood event, and turning it into a mercenary, commercial endeavor.

Yes when i was a kid, we just walked around our neighborhood. I did live in Beverly Hills for big part of that time so maybe that was the reason. Actually even when I lived in WH, it was similar experience.

Parents that drive their kids to my neighborhood are not even trying to hide that they are from outside of our area, they park nearby and walk around before getting in to their cars and leave.

It was once explained to me that poor area got lots of crime, apartments etc so doing trick or treat not feasible.

I should also mention that less and less houses been participating lately in my neighborhood, people are more busy, kids left the house and the holiday is not what it used to be i guess in this day and age.

With Covid now around, i do wonder if it will kill this holiday even more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles