Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2008, 09:31 AM

31 posts, read 133,234 times

Advertisements

Okay, we've narrowed down our final apartment choices. They are all equally nice and in the same price range, so the problem is deciding on a neighborhood. The problem seems to be (at least to us, on paper) that there doesn't seem to be a bad apple in the bunch so I'm hoping that someone might be able to critique these spots and tell us what to expect.

Los Feliz -- Los Feliz Blvd. & Wayne
Miracle Mile -- Masselin & Carmona
WeHo -- Sycamore & Oakwood
WeHo -- Spaulding & Oakwood

The last is a month-to-month that we are considering taking while we decide, but we don't want to lost out on our other good options that might be more permanent by doing so. For background, my fiance and I are both around 30, no kids but we have a small dog. I'll be going to USC for grad school and he'll be taking the California bar and hopefully practicing in LA. (If not LA, he'll be commuting to DC so I'll be alone most of the time.) We've lived in sketchy neighborhoods before so we're pretty aware and street-smart.

I've heard that Los Feliz would be nice as we would be close to Griffith Park, which has a dog park as well. We're from Chicago and used to walking everywhere so it would be nice. We want to be close to at least some conveniences so we aren't driving all the time. But from what I understand the others are more centrally located? It's so hard to tell.

Thank you so much for any help that you can give me...our last big decision and I don't know what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 10:59 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,097,607 times
theres not a bad one in the bunch. the only thing that your fiance may object to is that WeHo has a VERY large gay population. In fact, I don't no one straight guy who lives there. I'm sure they're out there, I'm just not aware of any. Maybe he would care, but maybe he wouldn't. It might also make it bit more difficult to make friends with other couples in your neighorhood.

As for the best location for someone who likes to walk, the spaulding/oakwood apartment would probably be your best bet. the others are okay as well except for the miracle mile location. it is certainly in a nice area, but not much to walk to except for maybe the tar pits.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:57 PM

225 posts, read 1,087,803 times
This is tricky because Los Feliz and West Hollywood are both good neighborhoods--though, be warned, nothing like Chicago. West Hollywood is indeed gay, though I'm not sure it is so gay that far east of La Cienega. In any case it is not exactly the Castro. Others will know more. Both are residential areas, with Oakwood a little closer to the local action than Los Feliz Blvd which, unless I'm forgetting something, has no shops at all along that stretch. Los Feliz is a slightly quicker commute to USC but there isn't much in it. If you want to see where the local stores are get hold of a copy of the Not For Tourists Guide to LA, which has maps for both neighborhoods.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:31 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,608,542 times
all else being equal, i would rather live in the LA city limits than in west hollywood, where they want to outlaw everything except marijuana clinics. since you have a pet, you might want to check out the local ordinances before you move there to see just how much of your freedom with respect to your animal will be curtailed. you should also know that you won't be able to vote for LA city council or mayoral candidates, and those people have a lot more impact on the overall quality of your life in the area than do the politicos running the small municipalities that are surrounded by LA.

of the two LA addresses, i prefer miracle mile, but that's somewhat subjective. i recognize that los feliz is a nice area, but i wouldn't want to drive through the areas one must in order to reach it from the west, east, or south (especially the last two). in general, i'm a "west of la brea" girl, until you reach the hills.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:39 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,066,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherette View Post
Los Feliz -- Los Feliz Blvd. & Wayne nr Griffith Park very nice especially if you have a dog.

Miracle Mile -- Masselin & Carmona very walkable near three museums and the Grove/Farmer's Market.

WeHo -- Sycamore & Oakwood already discussed
WeHo -- Spaulding & Oakwood already discussed
It's hard when you have so many great choices. For an easier commute, go with your first instinct of the Miracle Mile district. It will also work well for your financee because Miracle Mile is near Beverly Hills or an easy commute to Downtown LA where most legal work is. There are a lot of people with dogs in the Miracle Mile area and they are welcome (on a leash) in parks.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:08 AM

Wow! Thanks so much. You all were a big help pointing out things that I didn't even think about. It's hard to make the choice when there doesn't seem to be a bad one. I guess we'll just have to pick one and see what happens.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:54 PM

30 posts, read 86,942 times
I never go west of western!
Loz feliz is nice area and it is close to usc and downtown. the surrounding neighborhoods get a bad rap but im a tiny 23 y/o white girl and i never have trouble. there are a lot of fun restaurants, shops and bars in the surrounding neighborhoods of silver lake and echo park. it all depends on the neighborhood you want. loz feliz is the snazzy neighbor to the diverse and artsy areas of east LA. get a month to month then drive around and hang out. also hillhurst st. in los feliz provides for a fun walkable restaurant and shopping area. griffith park has amazing hikes and silverlake also has a large dog park. i like the fact that most businesses in the area are small or family owned... again its just about your preference. all the areas are fine

Old 05-07-2008, 07:15 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,313,592 times
Los Feliz is awesome. I'm biased because I live here. We have the observatory, Los Feliz Village, gorgeous mansions galore and architectural masterpieces. We've got a good vibe too and housing for those just starting out to those who have made it big.

WeHo is 3 towns: Boystown at the South, residential in the middle and then Sunset Strip/above Sunset (rob a bank).

Old 05-07-2008, 07:16 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,313,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananagans View Post
I never go west of western!
Your don't like Beachwood Canyon or Franklin Village?

Old 05-07-2008, 10:30 AM

Would my commute to USC from Los Feliz really be that much shorter than from WeHo? I Googled directions online and even the "time with traffic" estimation was about the same -- within a few minutes. I know Google isn't always very accurate with things like that but now I'm wondering if it would be a bigger difference than I thought it would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles