Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where's best place to live in Los Angeles (LA), Silver Lake or Manhattan Beach?
Silver Lake 12 33.33%
Manhattan Beach 24 66.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 01:51 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,823,133 times

Advertisements

You should check out Los Feliz as it adjoins Silverlake while you're in the area. One bit of info; sadly the Good Luck Bar (what a great place) is closed and gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2020, 03:04 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,692,387 times
I don't live in LA but I can say I've stayed in Silver Lake 3 times & you don't have to drive far until you hit traffic. Manahattan Beach seemed less busy. So if one is better than the other. Manhattan Beach wins with traffic.

Old 10-09-2020, 07:12 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,387,016 times
I love the Dodgers and Lakers and go to games. I prefer to live near the sports venues. Also love UCLA. Also love the Griffith Observatory just to gaze on the skyline. Silver Lake is closer
In a few years the giant reservoir will be torn down and build a huge lake park like Echo Park but a few times larger. Going to be glorious to live a giant lake park.

Old 10-09-2020, 08:34 PM

73 posts, read 42,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
How is Silver Lake better than Bel Air?

Bel Air is quiet, rich, and secluded.
Bel Air hasn't been a very quiet neighborhood for the last decade. There has been so many spec home construction going on, which resulted in lots of construction-related traffic, construction noise, etc. Narrow curvy roads without the yellow line on the middle don't help either. Things are finally slowing down as oversupply concerns rise, but I think it'll take many more years to return to normal level. Another weak side is wildfire and landslide. Hillside properties are naturally susceptible to wildfire/landslide, and Bel Air had big one in 60s while Silver Lake haven't had any. Other than that, Bel Air is mainly in the lead.

Old 10-09-2020, 10:02 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,973,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
I love the Dodgers and Lakers and go to games. I prefer to live near the sports venues. Also love UCLA. Also love the Griffith Observatory just to gaze on the skyline. Silver Lake is closer
In a few years the giant reservoir will be torn down and build a huge lake park like Echo Park but a few times larger. Going to be glorious to live a giant lake park.
Have you been to Echo Park Lake in the last year or two? Large parts of it have been monopolized by drug addict vagrants. Parks all across the city are the same way. The encampments in Griffith Park are mostly along the River and Riverside Drive, but it is such a big park that most of it is ok. If they tear down the fences around the old reservoir at Silver Lake, expect a giant encampment and associated crime to pop up shortly thereafter.

Old 10-10-2020, 01:14 AM

Location: Midwesterner living in California (previously East Coast)
296 posts, read 438,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire Dragon View Post
Where is nicer, Silver Lake or Manhattan Beach? And why?

Manhattan Beach and Silver Lake are roughly the same size population-wise. They both have a mix of urban and suburban characteristics. MB has better pedestrian walk paths and bicycle-friendly streets. Silver Lake "feels" more urban due to its residents, overall vibe, and proximity to other urban neighborhoods.

MB can be described as clean, safe, upscale, and charming.
It has damn near perfect weather 11.5 months out of the year (not too hot, not too cold).
Compared to Silver Lake, it is 2x wealthier and significantly more White.
As its name suggests, life is oriented around the ocean. People care about things like surfing, beach volleyball, biking, homes with views, etc.
Lastly - there are significantly more married couples with children in MB.

Silver Lake can be described as slightly gritty and "cool"
Some people describe it as hipster. Yes and no. Personally, I find Silver Lake to be more BoHo than hipster.
Compared with the rest of LA, Silver Lake is considered above the norm in terms of household incomes and
"niceness". Topographically, much of Silver Lake is very hilly. Lots of narrow winding streets.

Old 10-10-2020, 06:07 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
According to a March 6, 2020 article in several newspapers (including the Orange County Register), the City of Manhattan Beach California was ranked as the "Best City" to live in the United States. The study ranking Manhattan Beach as the nation's top city was conducted by 24/7 Wall St., a news and survey organization.

Forbes magazine ranked Manhattan Beach Unified as the sixth best School District in the U.S. According to a July 5, 2014, article in the Beach Reporter newspaper, the city of Manhattan Beach has more educated residents (according to percentage of residents with bachelor's degree or higher) than any other Los Angeles suburb.

GQ Magazine named Manhattan Beach one of the nation's six best beaches in their July 2014 issue.

CNNMoney named Manhattan Beach #1 as the "2011 Best Places For the Rich and Single",[41] while The Travel Channel named Manhattan Beach the 9th sexiest beach on earth for its 2008 "21 Sexiest Beaches" show.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhat...ch,_California

Global Street Style Report: Mapping Out the 15 Coolest Neighborhoods in the World. 12/15 SILVER LAKE / LOS ANGELES / U.S.:

Silver Lake is the chilled-out antidote to the over-the-top glamour of Beverly Hills and Hollywood. Far more baja than ball gown, it’s where L.A.’s trendiest convene—whether at longtime staple Cafe Stella, the nearby Chinoiserie-themed Good Luck Bar, or Gamine Salon, a local beauty stop founded by Julie Rosenberg. Increasingly resonant in the fashion-sphere (thank you, Hedi Slimane and the Rodarte sisters), Los Angeleno style has been further bolstered by Mohawk General Store, a boutique selling everything from Mansur Gavriel bags to Alexander Wang bomber jackets. Post-shopping, take a stroll down Sunset, Intelligentsia latte in hand.

Source: https://www.vogue.com/slideshow/fift...-neighborhoods

Thanks in advance for any guidance!
Almost anyone would choose Manhattan Beach over the Silver Lake district, though the Silver Lake district does attract a certain type of person and this is not bad.

Now, for all the reading you are doing and the lists of the "best this and "best that, these studies are only as good as the day they are published and change at the drop of a pin. I know, we happen to live in a region of the USA, most people would not consider the best of anything and yet, every year, at least one of the publications you are reading has us rated among the best in several fields. It is great for the community and gives a certain amount of bragging rights, but we know that is all they are good for. So don't put too much into what you read.

Now, the other issue of course, if you are seriously thinking of moving to one of the areas you are asking about take your life style and budget into consideration. If you are just posting for fun, good luck with what you are reading. We all have our own ideas about good versus bad or best verses almost best.

Noticed OP is also asking about London: wonder why the curiosity?

Last edited by nmnita; 10-10-2020 at 06:16 AM..

Old 10-10-2020, 09:42 AM

103 posts, read 101,026 times
So I take it Manhattan Beach is better to live in? Silver Lake was ranked 'Coolest Neighborhoods in the World' which means it's a cool place to visit but not to live?

Old 10-10-2020, 10:07 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
So I take it Manhattan Beach is better to live in? Silver Lake was ranked 'Coolest Neighborhoods in the World' which means it's a cool place to visit but not to live?
Silver Lake is a great place to live. However, as mentioned before, these two cities could not be more different, and each attracts a different type of resident.

Old 10-10-2020, 03:24 PM

103 posts, read 101,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Silver Lake is a great place to live. However, as mentioned before, these two cities could not be more different, and each attracts a different type of resident.

Is that so? Then I will physically check out both places to get a feel before I commit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles