Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,606 times

Advertisements

I'm from out of state and coming in for the long haul. Moving to either Santa Monica or Long Beach as a tech professional. I will be working from home and do not have to worry about any commutes im just curious on what area would be the best fit. It's looking like either Santa Monica or Long Beach area near Bellmot Shores/Alamitos beach. I'm single in my late twenties and curious about what spot would be great to make new friends and have a successful dating life along with doing a some outdoorsy things such as swimming, cycling, etc. I was leaning a bit more on long beach originally until I discovered the water isn't as swimmable as I'd like.

When I was in town I noticed Santa Monica to be very touristy while Long Beach to be a bit more laid back but also a central spot to hit other places within the area. How do you all think they fair against one another? Ideally i'm looking for a good spot that is cycle friendly, easy to meet people for friends and dating, enjoying a night out every now and then (not a hard core partier) but also not get stuck into just touristy attractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2020, 04:23 PM

190 posts, read 471,392 times
Lived in both places so I think I can provide a good comparison. Ultimately, I think it will come down to budget and what type of "scene" you are looking for. LBC is more reasonably priced and if you don't care about the West Side LA "scene" and the prestige of that area, then I'd go LBC. My wife on the other hand, greatly preferred SM. Different strokes for different folks!

SM - Touristy is correct, especially near the pier and 3rd street. Very expensive area across the board. Nice long bike bath at the beach and no shortage of things to do. Good location to get to the entire West side + LAX. Commute to places like DTLA and Hollywood can be 20 minutes or 1 hour, depending on traffic. Not too many people swim here, but there is plenty of surfing here and in Venice.

LBC- Much cheaper, although not cheap anymore. More diversity in terms of the neighborhoods, some really nice ones (Belmont Shore and Bixby Knolls, but also some really nasty ones. Great regional airport that even has direct flights to NYC. Also has a bike path along the beach, but its not as long. Wouldn't swim there and no surfing, but you aren't far from Seal Beach and Huntington Beach.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:16 AM

823 posts, read 1,055,848 times
What about somewhere in between the two like Marina Del Rey, Playa Del Rey or even Manhattan Beach? Easy access to the coast (beach, bike path, etc). Still pricey, but not as much as SM. Part of the Silicon Beach area so high concentration of tech professionals (which may or may not be a good thing, from your point of view). Much less touristy. Close enough to easily get to SM or Venice, but not right in the thick of it.

I've never lived in Long Beach, but it would not be my first pick. I also wouldn't consider it to be central to places in Los Angeles County, much closer to Orange County.

Old 10-22-2020, 02:11 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
SM has a lot more class.

Old 10-22-2020, 02:22 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,958,286 times
Belmont Shore area has a high concentration of gay population. It's a "hip" area though.

If you're single, consider the Huntington Beach area. It's bigger and not far from Belmont Shore.

Old 10-23-2020, 10:09 AM

363 posts, read 514,316 times
Long Beach is way out of the way to most things in LA, although it is not as expensive as the Westside.
Looking at Culver City/ "silicon beach' areas is a great idea, or even mid-city/ West LA.

My first apartment was in Santa Monica years ago in the Montana neighborhood- it was beautiful, but very yuppy'ish, and I never really left SM or went east of the 405. And most people I knew there didn't either. It was really insular. Now it's simply astronomically expensive and crowded.

All the best <3

Old 10-23-2020, 11:49 AM

2,507 posts, read 1,296,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarlunartide View Post
Ideally i'm looking for a good spot that is cycle friendly, easy to meet people for friends and dating, enjoying a night out every now and then.
Do you think you'll find many young ladies who can afford to pay $3k in Santa Monica without help of sugardaddies?
Or young students who can be your friends?

Why wouldn't you explore areas where students of UCLA and USC live?

I would recommend the areas near Wilshire/La Brea, 3rd/Fairfax, West Hollywood.

Old 10-24-2020, 01:02 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,300,017 times
I'd choose Long Beach in a heart beat. Belmont Shore or along Ocean Ave. The water is quite swimmable actually. I've swam quite a few open water swims there and a few tri's. Seal Beach, just over the OC county line is nice too.

Old 11-09-2020, 08:30 PM

534 posts, read 480,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Belmont Shore area has a high concentration of gay population. It's a "hip" area though.

If you're single, consider the Huntington Beach area. It's bigger and not far from Belmont Shore.
How rough would a HB to LB commute be?

Old 11-12-2020, 06:25 PM

190 posts, read 471,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeej View Post
How rough would a HB to LB commute be?
Not bad at all, under 30 minutes, depending on exactly where in both places you are going
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles