Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 07:59 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
I mean seriously, at this point people have got to have known at least one person who has gotten sick with the cold, I mean coronavirus (same thing). If they weren't over 65 or if they didn't have a series of underlying conditions, then they were better within 3-14 days and many times without antibiotics. This is ridiculous.
I know of four people who've died of COVID-19 since the end of March. One of them was under 40. It sure didn't feel like a cold to any of them.

Old 12-02-2020, 07:59 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
I mean seriously, at this point people have got to have known at least one person who has gotten sick with the cold, I mean coronavirus (same thing). If they weren't over 65 or if they didn't have a series of underlying conditions, then they were better within 3-14 days and many times without antibiotics. This is ridiculous.
Correct. By now I have personally known a number of people who got Covid.

A neighbor who is in her 60s and obese had to be hospitalized, but is home now and completely recovered.

A friend's father died. He was 96 and in a nursing home. It takes very little to kill people who are in their 90s and already in compromised health. The same thing happened to my dad a couple of years ago, but it was influenza.

All the rest were only mildly ill, if at all, and recovered completely within a few days.

Old 12-02-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Read the rest of the paragraph in the article. The decision "was based on the fact that cases are rising, that viruses often spread faster and invade the body more easily in colder weather and that even with proper table spacing, taking off your mask to dine — sometimes in the company of people outside your own household — is a risk."
They didn't think dining outside was such a risk a month or two ago.

The decision was made because cases are rising for no specific known reason, and the officials want to feel like they are doing something really powerful and significant although there isn't much left to shut down, so outdoor dining was made the sacrificial lamb.

Old 12-02-2020, 08:09 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The decision was made because cases are rising for no specific known reason, and the officials want to feel like they are doing something really powerful and significant although there isn't much left to shut down, so outdoor dining was made the sacrificial lamb.
If you really believe that, then I can understand why you're upset. (I would be as well.)

Old 12-02-2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
If you really believe that, then I can understand why you're upset. (I would be as well.)
Well, in a couple of weeks we will know if banning outdoor dining caused a significant dent in the cases in LA County. Until then, we should probably all reserve judgment.

Old 12-02-2020, 08:17 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,034,155 times
"Protesting" aka shouting and screaming in the streets with thousands of strangers while accompanied by looting, arson, and occasional violence against innocent bystanders is totally safe and had no role in spreading Covid but eating at a restaurant seated outside with tables set apart is a major superspreader. Why not just hang up BLM signs at all the tables to prevent the spread of Covid since "science" has endorsed it as a perfect vaccine in all of the studies claiming that not a single protest contributed to spreading Covid?

Old 12-02-2020, 08:20 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
A spokeperson for Kuehl noted that dining was still allowed at the time and said the supervisor was trying to support her favorite restaurant before it had to close.

"Supervisor Kuehl has eaten at Il Forno virtually every night for many years, and on the last night that it was permitted by county health orders, she dined there alfresco taking appropriate precautions as recommended by the Department of Public Health," Kuehl's office said.

"Like so many people in Los Angeles, she has a favorite place to eat and is saddened that so many restaurants are suffering from lost business. Since the restaurant patio ban went into effect, she is doing everything she can to continue to support the restaurant, ordering takeout nightly. She hopes other County residents will take similar steps to support their favorite restaurants while we get through this challenging period. "

https://abc7.com/la-county-dining-ba...kuehl/8402376/
Her people were dodging it for days until the Fox News 11 guy said he would go public anyway. That’s the lamest excuse they could come up with.

Old 12-02-2020, 08:51 PM

3,080 posts, read 1,745,013 times
Quote:
saibot is correct. They all but said that they had no evidence of spread from outdoor dining at the city council meeting. Barbara Ferrer's decision was completely arbitrary, done just so she could feel like she is doing something substantial.

Old 12-03-2020, 11:10 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Well, in a couple of weeks we will know if banning outdoor dining caused a significant dent in the cases in LA County. Until then, we should probably all reserve judgment.
I doubt it will make "a significant dent." Outdoor dining was expendable, not much else was. With data coming in that schools are a problem and the end of the semester soon, atop legal/public objections to the restaurant decision, I think campuses will be closed early and that will make it harder to tell if restaurants were driving many infections.

Old 12-03-2020, 11:57 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Moderator cut: see note

There's nothing wrong with wearing a mask in the car if it's a short drive to a masked location. It's more sanitary than going on-and-off with it.

People aren't supposed to be visiting hospitals now unless they work there or are receiving care there. For that matter, people who feel sick or are diagnosed as infected aren't supposed to be around others except for near-unavoidable reasons.

Millions of non-elderly Americans have risk factors that can make them vulnerable to COVID-19, which is a virus and is not treated with antibiotics. Only young people have a very good prognosis of minimal symptoms and quick, full recovery. Bad things can and do happen to other individuals.

I don't know anyone with both a positive test result and symptoms, but acquaintances of mine have several cases, some several in their social circles. Cases are sort of hiding from public view, but there is nothing made up about the virus and it's all over California. The adjacent states don't take the virus as seriously, or it isn't spreading as rapidly there.
The average age of death from COVID-19 is higher than the average age of life expectancy in the US. You can't deny the facts. For 99.99% of people under the age of 49, this virus is literally nothing. It drops to 99.5% for those under 69 and above 70 it drops to 94.6%. All of this comes straight from the CDC.

In numerous areas across the US, the rise in cases is due to a backlog of cases from months prior. Now one might say "well that means people were walking around with the virus and didn't know it", yet the death rate continues to plummet. They haven't even isolated COVID-19 in the tests they administer so people are literally just being tested for a coronavirus aka the common cold, and it's the winter time so of course those numbers would rise now.

They are just seeing what they can get away with, but more people than before are fed up with it thankfully. The hypocrisy is just too strong and there's no reason to trust them when the research is easy to do yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles