U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 02:57 PM

37 posts, read 100,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenAroundTheBlock View Post
Two of us drove from Philly in 3 days back in the 70's, if you can believe that. We were young and dumb of course. We stayed up and drove all the way to Denver! Writing this now seems incredible but we did it. Driving in 5 days sounds good to me!

It sounds like a lot of other Philly people here!
That's what we envisioned at first too, with perhaps even a stop in Vegas for good measure, but it hasn't exactly been easy finding people willing to make the drive with us (even when we offered to pay for everything, including the ticket home), and the idea of non-stop driving without someone to share the wheel with does not appeal to me. With each of us alone in our cars for 5 days, I've given some thought to picking up a volleyball and some red paint before we leave...

Seriously though, thanks for the stories everybody - I feel good now about doing this in just a few days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 03:31 PM

Sorry, I was just re-reading my post and I realized what a dated and just overall bad reference the volleyball comment was...my apologies.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:35 PM

14,527 posts, read 16,116,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyLee View Post
bump

I'm planning on driving from Chicago to LA.. hopefully in about 5-6 days. Here's what want to see: Mt. Rushmore, family in Laramie, WY, Denver, CO, four corners, the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, and end up in Riverside or LA.

Do you think that's reasonable? I plan on shipping my things via the PODS or door to door so I'd be driving my 2006 kia rio.
No, not reasonable IMO. You won't have much time to see any sights. You can't do Grand Canyon justice in 5 days let alone 1 day. And you won't see much of Las Vegas from the freeway. Driving that distance shouldn't be any big deal if you just drive, drive, drive.

Don't bother going out of your way to visit the 4 corners monument. It's no big deal and nothing near it interesting. It's just a marker in the middle of a parking lot in the middle of nowhere. Use that day more efficiently by seeing something else. Like add the time to your Grand Canyon stop.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:32 PM

2,072 posts, read 11,243,311 times
In October of 2007, me and my older son flew to New Hamphire to pick my younger son up and his GF, who was 8 months pregant.

We went through the southern parts of the States - first day we drove through NH and Vermont and stayed in Buffalo. 2nd day was Philly, Ohio, and Indiana (stayed in Terra Houte), 3rd day Illinois, Missouri, Okalahoma. 4th day the pan handle onto to NM, on to Arionza and got home. <------- this was a long drive. But he pregnant girl was getting crabby, so we drove straight through from OK to California.

The only problems on our route, was the was construction everywhere, so there were many areas where you could exceed 45 MPH, but that was only for 20 miles or so.

Have a safe trip

Old 05-07-2008, 06:29 PM

634 posts, read 2,874,893 times
Have you thought about having your car transported? Depending on what kind of car you have it could be about 1k. When you think of gas, hotels, hassle... you might want to consider. Just google "auto transport" and you'll find dozens of companies.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenAroundTheBlock View Post
Have you thought about having your car transported? Depending on what kind of car you have it could be about 1k. When you think of gas, hotels, hassle... you might want to consider. Just google "auto transport" and you'll find dozens of companies.
I have looked into it actually, but quickly decided it wasn't worth it. 2 separate companies quoted me in the ballpark of 650-700, but then it was another 150 to insure the car and another 150 to guarantee a spot on the top rack of the truck (if its on the bottom, theres a good chance the cars above will leak fluids onto your car) and ANOTHER 150 to guarantee the delivery time. If you don't pay to guarantee the delivery, they give you like a 6-day range for when they will drop it off. To me, all of those 'additional fees' added up to be not worth it, especially when I get pretty good gas mileage. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:43 PM

198 posts, read 279,222 times
My wife and I drove out here in 1998 from Portland, Maine.

Day number one ended in upstate New York...day number two ended in southern Illinois...day number three ended in Colorado Springs....day four was spent in Denver...day five ended in Las Vegas, and day six ended our trip in Laguna Hills.

In 1974 I left San Francisco on a Sunday afternoon and drove straight through to Cheyenne, Wyoming....the second day ended in Des Moines, Iowa.....the third day ended outside Buffalo...and halfway through the fourth day I ended up in Portland, Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles