U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-06-2008, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Studio City, CA
37 posts, read 100,599 times
Reputation: 21

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
OK, here's another site that you should have a look at: LA Life for school and crime rankings.
Can anyone explain why Studio City in only a '3.5/10' on their crime listings? And WeHo is only a 2.5? I haven't explored the site for their reasoning, although I will now, but it just seems like based on what I have seen, read, and heard, that those areas should be significantly 'safer'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-06-2008, 03:07 PM
 
1,753 posts, read 6,215,944 times
Reputation: 1613
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishardin View Post
Can anyone explain why Studio City in only a '3.5/10' on their crime listings? And WeHo is only a 2.5? I haven't explored the site for their reasoning, although I will now, but it just seems like based on what I have seen, read, and heard, that those areas should be significantly 'safer'.
I'm not sure of what the variables are, but I also know that the data is a couple years dated. It has to be that they take the context of the entire area. While El Segundo's 9 rating is great, most of the "crime" in the city actually takes place on the eastern, commercial side of Sepulveda/PCH rather than the western, residential area. So if there are even small pockets within an area, I think they can skew the overall rating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2008, 10:09 PM
 
1,714 posts, read 5,543,645 times
Reputation: 688
Lalife should tell you the numbers of crimes, broken down roughly by type. If I remember correctly, weho's rating is due to car break-ins or something, rather than violent crime. Check it out; I definitely could be remembering wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2008, 09:03 AM
 
76 posts, read 323,252 times
Reputation: 32
I would go with El Segundo its a small ,safe community with good schools.Depending on where in Inglewood you husband will work your commute will be right awound twenty minutes.With the way gas prices and LA traffic why add a long commute to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2008, 02:44 PM
 
2,573 posts, read 7,876,583 times
Reputation: 2558
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnieC View Post
I would go with El Segundo its a small ,safe community with good schools.Depending on where in Inglewood you husband will work your commute will be right awound twenty minutes.With the way gas prices and LA traffic why add a long commute to it.
el segundo has been recommended several times in this thread, but i don't think it carries enough bragging rights for the OP. she has said that she is looking for an area that 'sounds' impressive. whatever!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2008, 03:31 PM
 
Location: SoCal
14,527 posts, read 16,134,194 times
Reputation: 10450
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
el segundo has been recommended several times in this thread, but i don't think it carries enough bragging rights for the OP. she has said that she is looking for an area that 'sounds' impressive. whatever!
With a budget of $4,000 a month the OP could live very near the beach, like even walking distance. I'm not expert enough to tell if that's enough for actually on the beach or right across, like in Hermosa.

I'd put El Segundo a bit farther down the list, if for no other reason than the oil refineries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2008, 04:18 PM
 
1,753 posts, read 6,215,944 times
Reputation: 1613
Lovehound is right if the budget is really $4K. The problem is that Hermosa doesn't have it's own school district and it's a really funky town. Not funky-bad, just not funky-family-oriented like Manhattan, Redondo or El Segundo.

As for the refinery in El Segundo, that's really a non-issue. There are very rarely problems at Chevron and no major ones in the 16-years I've lived in the city. In fact, Chevron can take some responsibility for the quality of the schools. While many other school districts struggle, Chevron contributes a hefty amount to the El Segundo School District when budgets are tight. El Segundo is not anticipating any teacher cuts as a result of the California budget crunch. And, if I'm not mistaken, the City of Manhattan Beach has just coughed up some funds for MBUSD as well.

El Segundo's proximity to LAX is, most often, the more difficult thing to deal with. But it certainly has it's positives as well if you travel a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2008, 08:31 AM
 
76 posts, read 323,252 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
Lovehound is right if the budget is really $4K. The problem is that Hermosa doesn't have it's own school district and it's a really funky town. Not funky-bad, just not funky-family-oriented like Manhattan, Redondo or El Segundo.

As for the refinery in El Segundo, that's really a non-issue. There are very rarely problems at Chevron and no major ones in the 16-years I've lived in the city. In fact, Chevron can take some responsibility for the quality of the schools. While many other school districts struggle, Chevron contributes a hefty amount to the El Segundo School District when budgets are tight. El Segundo is not anticipating any teacher cuts as a result of the California budget crunch. And, if I'm not mistaken, the City of Manhattan Beach has just coughed up some funds for MBUSD as well.

El Segundo's proximity to LAX is, most often, the more difficult thing to deal with. But it certainly has it's positives as well if you travel a lot.
Yes,I have to agree with you the oil refineries have very little affect on the community. Hermosa is not exacly family oriented not exactly a place I would choose with kids. If you are choosing a community based on name value I think Manhattan Beach is your best option.I personally prefer El Segundo but to each their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2008, 04:29 AM
 
4 posts, read 9,115 times
Reputation: 10
Forgot to say check out the schools some in Inglewood say they are terrible.
With nicer homes in Westchester and Playa del Rey parents may demand more there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top